Whats Causing Tingles In My Last 2 Fingers? (reps)

Jones1874

Since ive started directly training my forearms again, ive been having tingles in my last 2 fingers of my left hand, and also on the back of the inner elbow (same arm). Anyone know what this is?

Am i causing damage to a nerve or looking at a serious injury if i carry on?

Cheers.

Well, I'm not sure I can give you an answer, but let's start with the simplest part.... What specifically are you doing? Does it hurt while you're doing it, or only after?

that is the ulnar nerve your describing. sounds like your training is causing inflamation/compression at the elbow. you should have it looked at.

I get that in both hands, sometimes just the last two fingers somtimes almost the whole hand, when I've been training grip hard for a while.

I get it at night, I wake up and my hands are numb and tingle.

If I cut back on the volume in my griptraining it goes away.

I get that in both hands, sometimes just the last two fingers somtimes almost the whole hand, when I've been training grip hard for a while.

I get it at night, I wake up and my hands are numb and tingle.

If I cut back on the volume in my griptraining it goes away.

how often do you train grip or forearms?

ive noticed its only when i use a plate loaded gripper for high reps, or the orbigrip. they both pump lots of blood in around the elbow, especially the orbigrip. ive been training with them day on-day off.

am i at a risk of long term injury? i read something about there being muscle wasting in the hand if you have this for a long time, which is apparently caused by having ulnar nerve entrapment.

Well, I'm not sure I can give you an answer, but let's start with the simplest part.... What specifically are you doing? Does it hurt while you're doing it, or only after?

It happens when i train forearms directly. i train them in a day on - day off fashion. it doesnt hurt during exercise, but afterwards (not right away either).

Im no doctor, I cant say anything about what might happen but I train grippers once a week and thickbar 1-2 times per week and thats around my max in volume before I get that disgusting feeling of being paralized >_<

If I get it I do less the next session etc. I train as much as I can without having that problem.

I get it from high volume of anything and especially heavy grippers.

Edited by NewGrippster

that is the ulnar nerve your describing. sounds like your training is causing inflamation/compression at the elbow. you should have it looked at.

Ive been rolling my forearms with a golf ball, and ive rolled the other side of the elbow aswell (Triceps). other than that, is there anything else i can do about it? if i go to a physio theyl just tell me to stop doing what im doing.

Im no doctor, I cant say anything about what might happen but I train grippers once a week and thickbar 1-2 times per week and thats around my max in volume before I get that disgusting feeling of being paralized >_<

If I get it I do less the next session etc. I train as much as I can without having that problem.

I get it from high volume of anything and especially heavy grippers.

its a nightmare. i only get it in my left arm aswell. ive either had triceps tendonosis or a small tear, so im not sure if thats got something to do with it.

I never have problems with it when i train grippers. only when i train forearms directly.

How bad are the tingles when you get them? does it ever completely go, or is it still mildly there?

Edited by alexjones234

I wake up and cant move my fingers almost, so I move my wrist back and fourth for cirkulation and try to move my fingers and stretch my forearms.

When I've moved my hand and fingers for like 10 seconds the feeling goes away and I can move my fingers again.

Its only when I've been asleep a while and goes away when I move my hands.

Maybe try to take a week off and then start training lighter and work up in volume over time?

I wake up and cant move my fingers almost, so I move my wrist back and fourth for cirkulation and try to move my fingers and stretch my forearms.

When I've moved my hand and fingers for like 10 seconds the feeling goes away and I can move my fingers again.

Its only when I've been asleep a while and goes away when I move my hands.

Maybe try to take a week off and then start training lighter and work up in volume over time?

that sounds like what my mother has. shes been having similar problems aswell. the other night she said that her hand was so numb that she couldnt move it properly to turn the alarm off. i thought it was pins and needles / a dead arm. it sounds like carpal tunnel, but i could very well be wrong. i know im looking for help, but since your in a similar situation, you might wanna try these. they have helped me quite a bit to be fair.

the second video is what made the difference. that gives me instant relief.

another thing which helps is using my thumb to dig into the senitive areas around the forearm. i just sit on the spot until the pain goes away. ill try to attach a photo to show you the area im talking about.

EDIT: I done this just now. took about 3 minutes and it instantly feels better.

Edited by alexjones234
  • Like 1

Nerves are tissues. They can build tension and tighten up. Your solution would be nerve mobilization. In simple terms that is careful stretching exercises specifically for nerves. Google that. Find a physiotherapist who has training for this. You can find some self help info on this as well.

This is what I, as a physiotherapist, would say to look for. Here's one video.

• Like 4

Nerves are tissues. They can build tension and tighten up. Your solution would be nerve mobilization. In simple terms that is careful stretching exercises specifically for nerves. Google that. Find a physiotherapist who has training for this. You can find some self help info on this as well.

thanks alot for this. im going to do a good bit of reasearch on the subject. my symptoms arent as bad as some out there, but i definately dont want them getting worst.

for now ill cut down on training my forearms directly, but do you think id have to stop altogether?

lastly, i just remembered that when i do reverse curls with a squeeze at the top, i get some sort of electric shock in my hand. just thought id mention that incase it tells you anymore about what it could be.

thanks again for the reply.

Just an update. im watching the video now and going through the routine the same time. the exercises at 2:45 - 3:20 seem the easiest to do, and you can feel them working quite well.

the exercise at 2:45 feels really awkward for me and i can seem to do it properly. and i really havent got the flexibility (wrist?) to do 'the mask' exercise at 4:10. the tai chi exercise at 4:46 is good. not sure if this is good or badthough, but when i extend the arm and bring it slightly up like he says, it feels as though the nerve is sliding, or clicking slightly.

Tried all advices posted here and it felt nice even though Im not feeling pain atm :)

This feeling you describe as electric shock is just another indication of nerve tissue tightness. When you extend your wrist you apply stretch to overly tight nerve. Forget what you know about muscle stretching. Nerve flossing should be really gentle. While doing these techniques, find the maximal ROM which doesn't aggravate the symptoms. You need to find the angle where you first start to experience slightest symptoms. Then immediately return. Repeat. Several times a day. Don't overdo the nervous stretch! It will only make things worse.

First fix this issue, then return to strength training.

Great video on nerve flossing!

One of the best I've watched!

Thanks Teemu!!!

I started working on nerve flossing and nerve stretching this last weekend. it seems like my sytoms are worse when I'm active and better when I'm rested since then. i had something similar with my back as I was breaking up scare tissue. would that be normal or a sign taht I am pushing too hard?

This feeling you describe as electric shock is just another indication of nerve tissue tightness. When you extend your wrist you apply stretch to overly tight nerve. Forget what you know about muscle stretching. Nerve flossing should be really gentle. While doing these techniques, find the maximal ROM which doesn't aggravate the symptoms. You need to find the angle where you first start to experience slightest symptoms. Then immediately return. Repeat. Several times a day. Don't overdo the nervous stretch! It will only make things worse.

Thanks again for the reply. really appreciate it.

how long am i looking at, can this type of thing take a long time to heal?

also, am i right in saying, training the flexors will do more harm than training the extensors? theres only ever irritation in the area if i use the orbigrip, plate loaded gripper for high reps, or do uneven dumbbell rotations.

Teemu brought up a good point with the nerve mobilizations.

A contributing factor could also be a double crush injury where minor nerve issues coming from the neck, shoulder, elbow, etc all combine together to cause a real problem. I have a similar ulnar nerve issue to you but most of the problem actually comes from my neck.

So to sum up my rambling the nerve mobs should help but it can't hurt to throw in some forearm flexor/extensor stretches along with some gentle neck stretches to prevent the nerve from being compressed in those areas as well.

A contributing factor could also be a double crush injury where minor nerve issues coming from the neck, shoulder, elbow, etc all combine together to cause a real problem. I have a similar ulnar nerve issue to you but most of the problem actually comes from my neck.

So to sum up my rambling the nerve mobs should help but it can't hurt to throw in some forearm flexor/extensor stretches along with some gentle neck stretches to prevent the nerve from being compressed in those areas as well.

im trying to do as much as i can to prevent this tingling. i have read that if its prolonged in can cause irreversable muscle wasting in the hand. im not sure how sever the symptoms need to be before you get to that stage but i defiantely want to avoid it.

i dont know the names of all the stretches im doing, but ive been trying to get them all in. Ive been stretching the forearm flexors / extensors, my thumb, neck, and ive been doing some foam rolling and self massage on both sides of the elbow (using a foam ball or golf ball), mainly triceps but both sides of the forearm. this is good to get the knots out and to allow the blood to flow properly again.

one thing i would like to know, is if its worth icing the area after foam rolling / self massage? seems like a good idea but im open to hear peoples opinions.

im trying to do as much as i can to prevent this tingling. i have read that if its prolonged in can cause irreversable muscle wasting in the hand. im not sure how sever the symptoms need to be before you get to that stage but i defiantely want to avoid it.

i dont know the names of all the stretches im doing, but ive been trying to get them all in. Ive been stretching the forearm flexors / extensors, my thumb, neck, and ive been doing some foam rolling and self massage on both sides of the elbow (using a foam ball or golf ball), mainly triceps but both sides of the forearm. this is good to get the knots out and to allow the blood to flow properly again.

one thing i would like to know, is if its worth icing the area after foam rolling / self massage? seems like a good idea but im open to hear peoples opinions.

It can cause muscle wasting but I imagine that would take a while (months or longer) to see any significant atrophy. These people usually have much worse symptoms than the ones you described as well. I'm no expert though.

It sounds like you have your bases covered for rehab but if it doesn't improve in a few weeks I would get it checked out. Any good physio will look at any contributing factors you might have instead of just telling you to take time off.

I think icing after you lift would help more than after massage. If you need ice after foam rolling or a massage you might be going at it a bit too hard. :)

I started working on nerve flossing and nerve stretching this last weekend. it seems like my sytoms are worse when I'm active and better when I'm rested since then. i had something similar with my back as I was breaking up scare tissue. would that be normal or a sign taht I am pushing too hard?

Well in my experience I would say you are pushing too hard.

You are right about nerve issues in the neck and shoulder area.

The problem with muscle stretching just often is that in the case of very clear nerve symptoms if a person goes for a stretch they can feel in their muscles they are pushing it too far when the nerve tension is considered. making things worse.

First thing here would be to learn about the testing procedure that has several different arm and hand positions to really establish where you are in terms of nerve tightness/tension/irritation.

When doing these nerve techniques, it really helps if you visualize the tensed and irritated nerve as a really fragile rubber band, that can stretch but has is limits. Visualizing it this way you are less likely to overdo it.

As for how long will it take to see improvement, I'd say this can be surprisingly quick process, IF it is done very carefully. There's quite a bit to be learned in terms of body awareness in this, you have to start recognizing and differentiating what is the feeling when it is the muscle you are stretching and what are even the slightest signs of nerves reacting to the movement.

Basically when you have developed a good enough awareness of what is causing irritation to the nerves, you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't make the symptoms worse.