Grip Tools I Might Buy In 2013

PeterSweden

I thought that I'd buy these things in 2013, and I'd like to hear what people have to say about them.

Good or bad.

Have you gotten any results from using them, how did you use them etc.

@ironmind

Claw Curl™ (pair)

Eagle Loops™ (pair)

Titan's Telegraph Key™ I

@grippersuperstore

GHP Negative Machine Replacement Handle

GHP Negative Machine

The Clawcurl / eagle loops Im going to try doin deadlifts with and hang from them on a chinup bar.

My experience with eagle loops and claw curls is, that you are most likely to end up using them very little. Not to say they are bad but ask yourself if you have grip goals that would be specific to justify their use in training.

As for negative machine, I have to ask do you already own a regular plate loadable grip machine? If you don't, I'd suggest investing in that.

TTK I'd say would be useful for dynamic thumb training.

To sum things up, really try to analyze and rationalize your equipment needs carefully by asking a few questions from yourself: what are the aspects of grip that seem to hold you back the most and what are your most important goals.

I see you have set some goals for next year. As for RT, it is good to have a thick bar and/or thick bar adapters. I would advice anyone to spend most of their time training any thick bar lifts to build a solid foundation. Regular grip machine would be another good tool for that foundation building and it would be more specific towards your other goal of closing bigger grippers next year.

Many of us have a habit of collecting different pieces of training equipment only to realize later that we really don't need those. I have done just that in the past but later on started leaving out the unessential and focused more on the most productive things. The list of equipment I use these days is a lot shorter than it used to be. To be honest I am a little embarrassed of some of the equipment purchases I've made when I did not know any better.

• Like 4

I do not own any of those pieces of equipment you listed. Maybe that speaks of something considering my pretty decent list of accomplishments and contest performances. I'd invest in other equipment if I were you. And I agree with Teemu.

• Like 1

I own a TTK and like it. I thought about buying eagle loops at one point but recently i just started doing two finger pull-ups instead.

I used to have a TTK and a Secret Weapon style Neg tool but sold them both due to lack of use. I did use the TTK quite a bit when I first started and found it helpful for increasing thumb strength but above a certain weight level found it incredibly uncomfortable on my thumb joints. The way my thumbs are made it mostly side pressure put quite a bit of tension on my joint ligaments I think. The SW machine is just what one needs if they intend on using a protocol with lots of loaded eccentric gripper movements. That however was not for me. I found other better ways (for me) to train my thumbs and get stronger on grippers. Good luck to you.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Claw Curl is good for static finger positions... but I would recommend against using it isotonically because it crimps the last joint of the fingers and which is pretty hard on that joint.

TTK is a good tool in and of itself... but nobody really cares if you're putting up big numbers on it and I have found it hard to put 5 lbs on it. I stopped using it.

Secret Weapon... I don't use it for negatives but have used it for static holds which have helped.

All in all I'm going to have to agree what Teemu and Daniel. If they aren't moving you directly towards your grip goals, then you probably don't need them.

Edited by hellswindstaff
  • Like 1

Ohh, allright! This is what I love about gripboard, knowlage and help from experienced people!

Im just going to skip buying those things then :)

I too have equipment that I dont use, but thats mostly due to the fact that I only do like 2 different grip aspects at a time.

My progress DIES when I try to become world champ in all aspects of grip at the same time >_<

• Like 1

I used to have a TTK and a Secret Weapon style Neg tool but sold them both due to lack of use. I did use the TTK quite a bit when I first started and found it helpful for increasing thumb strength but above a certain weight level found it incredibly uncomfortable on my thumb joints. The way my thumbs are made it mostly side pressure put quite a bit of tension on my joint ligaments I think.

- Aaron

Thumb-side plate should have adjustable angle for different range of motions. Noticed same that thumb over-extend with max weight.

This is something worth of trying gallery_16203_1350_35983.jpg

buy a good cordless drill and some quality drill bits. you can make many effective hand strengthening implements with scrap wood and steel. while making it, you exercise your mind and hands.