What I Have Noticed-

Rick Walker

Over the past few months I have noticed quite a few differences in my left and right hands.

Here they are:

Crushing: equal closing strength in both hands-able to close a #3 in both hands. However-my left hand has a better sweep, maybe due to poor setting?

Wide Pinching (blobs, 5-10s, brick lift): right hand is stronger in these movements.

Pinch (plates): left hand is stronger. I am am able to do 2-35s in both hands but my left has some strength over the right.

Anvil Lifting by the horn: right hand is clearly stronger.

Thick (inch) Bar: clear dominance of left hand in this movement.

Levering of sledge hammers: Left hand/arm is stronger.

Plate wrist curl: left hand/fingers are stronger.

Outer limit loops-right hand is stronger.

I am right handed by the way.

Anyone else notice this strange phenom?

Rick Walker :rock

zcor-

That is a tall order for the heavier chaps on the board. Remember-there are a number of large dudes here!

I probably couldnt hang all that long either and I am only 198!

Hanging even with two arms is hard for me as I cannot fully straighten my arms at the elbow joints. This causes problems with overhead presses not being able to lockout.

I see your point Rick... I was pathetic at trying it.. I am

6' 3 and 230. Ol' Monkey Paw was screaming at the wrist joint :D

Yes-it is more joint pain then that of the grip giving out. My shoulders do not like it at all!

I can hang longer with my right hand than with my left. I weigh 240. My right hand is better with the grippers, pinching and thick bar work. My left is stronger with plate curls, both regular and wrist, and my left is stronger using the TTK. I am also right-handed.

Maybe one arm hanging is worth the effort in training for.

I do know from David Horne`s Irongrip courses that it is a

proficient means of training the grip.

I have seen a photo of David hanging from a 2 inch scaffold

setup with additional weight in the free hand. The weight poundage

escapes me for the moment also the time he made.

Sorry 'bout dat

This is funny that this was brought up; last night I noticed that my left hand is stronger at my gripanator than my right (i being right handed too.) and this is the only thing my left is better.

Adding to my above post about one arm hanging. D Horne performed

this on a vertical pole rather than a horizontal one. Maybe this would

make a difference in training proficiency

As a right hander, my left dominates at all except one exercise: grippers. And I attribute this, atleast partially, to the fact that the IM grippers are made to favor right handed closing. But the fact that I have better muscle control with my right hand may also play into the equation. Except for the grippers, the difference in strength between my hands is marginal.

I am right handed - I am probably stronger with my right on most grip lifts, but probably more consistent with my left.

Due to my shoulders, hanging from one hand can be a problem.

I think David Horne hanging from a scaffolding pole (at his weight, plus extra weight, plus the size of the pole) was one of the most impressive pure grip feats he has done.

I found the #s for D Horne's scaffold pole feat:

Bodyweight plus 38.5 kg in the free hand for a total of 131.5kg

(290 lbs.) held for 4 seconds

I am sure if David reads this he can give any update info to

whether he has since surpassed this :cool

zcor,

I've not really had access to anymore vertical scaffolding since then. I think it's an okay feat but I think Jim Wylie could possibly surpass it. Joe actually asked me what my best feats of grip strength ere, and these top 5 are featured in his Iron Game history section. Glad you still find the old courses useful.

David

I've noticed differences between hands too.

My right is stronger in everything except thick bar and pinch. I put it down to flexibility. I can touch thumb to middle finger around a 2inch bar with my left but not with my right - there's no visible difference between them (apart from one being left and one being right of course :tongue )

With the Ironmind 2inch pinch block, my left seems to 'fit' it better, I can never quite get comfortable with my right.

Andy Christie

I am right handed.

My crushing power is far stronger in my right than my left. Both hands are about the same for pinching, though I have not trained this too much yet. My left hand out performs the right when it comes to holds. My left will be going strong when my right gives out on a deadlift lock out & hold.

I was asked to show the strength coach of the U of Tenn.football what I could hang with from a 2" pullup bar. I weighed 245 and held a 120 lb dumbell in the other hand. At a heavier bodyweight (275) I hung from a 1 1/4 bar holding a 229 lb dumbell. I did see one super strong track team mate of my son while weighing 280lb held one handed onto a carbiner horizontally lashed to an overhead bar(1/2 inch thick loop of metal)while holding my son (225 lb) off the ground with the other hand holding Bert's lifting belt. I saw this guy come within a hair of shutting a MONSTER gripper (560 inch lb) several times and years later when handed a new #3 gripper cold at a party shut it like a toy while guzzling a beer......RS