Adding Weight To Blobs

Mephistopholes

Ha excellent, very comprehensive, thanks. I was honestly thinking about just ducktaping a weight to the bottom of mine, but was worried about it leaving adhesive residue.

Yeah I just did it by putting a couple plates in a bucket and running the handle over the top of the blob. Worked well enough to walk with.

img0891ie.jpg

I'm a fan of mag weights (homemade anyway).

I sacrificed some baby dumbbells for the greater good! :grin:

• Like 1

img0891ie.jpg

I'm a fan of mag weights (homemade anyway).

I sacrificed some baby dumbbells for the greater good! :grin:

Where do you get magnets like that?

The ones I've been using are called Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets.

You can get them from Amazon or from various magnet stores online.

I got the bigger ones from CMS Magnetics http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UU8VSI/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_3p_dp_1

and the smaller ones from Magcraft.

Three things.

It important to kind of dismiss the ratings that they give you. Those ratings are done in ideal laboratory conditions...in other words, get magnets with a much greater pull force (4x or so) than the weight you plan on using it with.

They are brittle...so avoid letting them smack into things and each other. Always slide the mag weights off an object.

Keep them away from Credit cards and pretty much all electronics. They have very strong magnetic fields.

And fingers. I've heard a few stories of smashed digits.

Post some blob work Meph. Been awhile since some feats were posted by someone. You have been nominated.

The ones I've been using are called Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets.

You can get them from Amazon or from various magnet stores online.

I got the bigger ones from CMS Magnetics http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UU8VSI/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_3p_dp_1

and the smaller ones from Magcraft.

Three things.

It important to kind of dismiss the ratings that they give you. Those ratings are done in ideal laboratory conditions...in other words, get magnets with a much greater pull force (4x or so) than the weight you plan on using it with.

They are brittle...so avoid letting them smack into things and each other. Always slide the mag weights off an object.

Keep them away from Credit cards and pretty much all electronics. They have very strong magnetic fields.

Good to know, thanks.

And fingers. I've heard a few stories of smashed digits.

Post some blob work Meph. Been awhile since some feats were posted by someone. You have been nominated.

Ha, alright man. I'm not super awesome at this yet though, I'm just using a 30lb blob. I'll have to post some of my anvil horn work too... How does everybody do that anyways, through YouTube?

Also, did you see the grip tool pics I put up? That's what I'm working with.

Edited by Mephistopholes

Just saw them. That horn is awesome and the blob looks slick!

Yes and yes. Haha. The horn was really slick but seasoned up over time... But it's still slick. Haha. And that blob is totally unforgiving.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Daniel, I'll post a video when I think I've got something worth watching. Haha. Probably a few weeks. I'd like to be able to walk with the blob + 20lbs.

And I need a YouTube account.

My personal preference was a length of 12Gauge copper wire. Just happened to have some scrap from a remodeling job. Here is an example:

• Like 1

The best part about using wire, is you can make stuff like this when you're not lifting:

tn_gallery_21339_1351_1822.jpg

My personal preference was a length of 12Gauge copper wire. Just happened to have some scrap from a remodeling job. Here is an example:

Nice lift there! Looks like you had good control of it the whole time.

The best part about using wire, is you can make stuff like this when you're not lifting:

tn_gallery_21339_1351_1822.jpg

Hahaha. And people ask me what I do this stuff for. Art of course!

Aaron doesn't even use all his fingers when lifting the 50# blob un-weighted. It's amazing!

That particular piece is from of a famous wire sculpture called Calder's Circus. Obviously, I didn't do it, although I have thought about making stuff like that while staring at the box of Romex between sets.