Safety Squat Bar

Tom of Iowa2

Amaury?

did you go to the prowriststraps.com s site and see the pic of Josh Beatty doing the 1250 partial?

Theres a cool pic of Big Tony pulling 900 from 18 inches too.

Also did you see BuD Jeffries doing the 1700 on his site?

Exciting and motivating stuff. :rock

Tom, i didn't find the pic of John Big... er, John Beatty :tongue

Interesting site though.

What poundages do you use at the time being and those you began with ?

Amaury,The Mac,Joseph,Our Chains/Carabiner/loading pin worked today for 1/4 squats.Our schedule is a few days off.1150# for 6 and then He hit approx.1375# for two.It was not a max... more of a test of the apparatus.

Then 5 sets fo Rock Bottom pauses,starting with high reps(12's) and working up to 5 plates a side for 6 reps.By now we are fried.But it continues...We did more reps on the way 'up' on pauses than our last 'Partial and Pause'day :erm

Then-1 set of Deep Thick bar Fronts for a set of 8.Then. Vertical leg press 3X12.Nebula 35 degree leg press 3x8.

A lot of sets...a lot of reps..a lot of angles.

I went up 25 lbs on my partial...and got dizzy again....

Next week will be Deep Safety squat bar squats followed by thick bar fronts and some sort of leg press crap.

Less reps on everything.

Joseph?still waiting for your e-mail with your extension designs?or photos :D ?Thanks

Amaury,

Go the the website hit strongman and scroll down you'll see the pic of john Beatty doing the partial with 1250# and Tony hitting 900# from 18 inches..look around the site lots of crazy pics.

Last post :) -can't help my self it was a good night for all :cool Amaury,The mac,Old guy,,joseph,Last night,leg work out-(no knee wraps on anything):

1)Rock Bottom(Bar wt.56lb.)2 inch-Thick bar FRONT squats (plates per SIDE)1plateX10 2platesx10 3 platesx6 3 plates & a 25x4 4 platesx2(no belt till last two sets)

2)Rock Bottom-not pauses-(Bar wt.71lb)Safety Squat bar(plates per side) 2platesx8 ,3platesx6,4plates x6,5platesx5,6platesx3,7platesx2(no belt till 3rd set)

3)Vertical leg press(200lb.sled)-(plates per side):4platesx8 5platesx5 6plates & a 25x3 7plates & a 25x2

4)35degree Nebula Leg press(200lb sled)(plates per side)7plates x9 9 platesx8

10 platesx5 12 platesx3

He has a bad habit of throwing on the heaviest '45lb'plates he can find...plenty of 51's#,49 1/2's#,48 3/4's#,47 5/8's #......etc!! :blink

Next week:1.)1/4 squats-safety squat bar(all hopeing for new PR's now that we have a 'system :erm ),2.)Rock bottom safety squat bar-(pauses),3.)Nebula leg presses(moderately heavy),4.)Vertical leg presses (drop sets) and we hope to finish with a rep set of Thick bar Fronts for 8-12reps?...last...after we are fried.

joseph...look forward to getting the pics of your extensions!

snail mail is fine!

I have never trained even remotely as hard as that. The hardest thing I do is leg extensions followed by leg curls. Squats followed by deadlifts all done for 20 reps with as much weight as I can. A warmup for you Tom.

Well those were Josh's poundages.i keep -sort of - up with him on front squats but he just learned to do them 2 or 3 weeks ago!!!I'm guessing in a few weeks as he becomes comfortable with 'fronts' that he'll be hitting ##### per side .........????We like angles.Varying our reps.Every work out is a little different yet we try to keep going up on at least one exercise in every session.Or I go up on 1 exercise.......

He 'loses'(jumps ahead) me on the squat bar(both rock bottom and partials).

I rejoin the 'hunt' on leg presses.

He does have FAR more range of mostion on the squat bar and the leg presses.His knees are up by his ears on leg presses..i do not go as deep..can't..not even with an empty sled.i have good hip flexibitlity but his is unreal.like almost a double hinge.

I DO go very deep on front squats..They have been my prority leg exercise since high school...and i am way below parrallel on the squat bar....but...damn.......

Again to any powerlifters that tune in..this is thick bar front squats and squat bar.not compareing.We don't do leg extensions..it bothers our knees???!!!!

He does not even look like the same person pictured in the Gallery.I'll snail mail you a group pic some time......

I used to think that leg extensions were wrecking my knees and stopped doing them. I found out it was bike riding so I stopped, and have been doing heavy leg extensions again without any problems. Hack machine squats I would always avoid doing. Smith Machine squats I enjoyed a lot. These days I train only at home, so basic equipment. I prefer it that way.

Yes Fronts- in particular- are a nice change on a Smith Machine.

It could just be our knees are trashed by the time we get to leg extensions?

I agree -hacks are risky-we do throw them in once in a while and do them-carefully- for a 'change'...However..we may stay away from them.You are one of several people that has warned us.The more i hear about it.....???Probably not worth it in the long run.

Last bold statement on this..his legs will FAR surpass his grip feats within the next couple of years...and I will be stronger than I was supposed to be ;) ..because of 'going along for the ride'

• 1 month later...
Tom,

I look forward to seeing those pics of you all. Sounds VERY impressive!!

here is the device :rolleyes we use for overweight partials.

The thick (10lbs a piece )chains are attached to the end of the bar via the collars.The cain is attched to Two Iron mind loading pins via heavy duty carabiners.

The weight here is 1475#>he has done 1600plus...and has set some higher goals.When he goes this heavy he squats 'up'from the safeties instead of a walk out...'squat ups'for me are tough.he has walked out with 1200plus.

Enjoy the pic.

www.webnax.com/Sites/ST20497/1475LBparcialsquat.jpg

Yes :laugh

There was a guy doing some DY rows on the HAMMER STRENGTH machine with 8 plates a side at the same time(they have extensions for the HAMMER STRENGTH machines)and they now have dumbells that go up to 210lbs(each)155#'s,165#'s,175#'s,185#'s,200#'s,and now 210#'s.

long story short yeah there were some plates left... :D