Rankings Discussion (for Fun)

Eric Roussin

If there was a set of North American grip sport rankings, how do you think they would look? Who are the current top ten grip sport athletes in North America, assuming an open weight class? Competitors must have competed in a grip contest in the past 12 months to be considered. Am I close?

1. Rich Williams

2. Tex Henderson

3. Andrew Durniat

4. Adam Glass

5. Chad Woodall

6. Wade Gillingham

7. Dave Thornton

8. Jedd Johnson

9. Nick Rosendaul

10. Brent Barbe

I realize it’s hard to rank guys like Rich and Tex who compete almost exclusively at Mighty Mitts, where thick bar events are heavily represented. I think Andrew and Adam have demonstrated they are currently the two best overall grip sport athletes in contests that test various aspects of grip strength.

What do you think?

first of all, how the christ did I make that list.

secondly, I think that the open comp throws things wayyyyy out of wack. for instance, reinard has bulked up to about 200#. unless I'm way off base that makes him about 1/2 what tex and rich way.

it's also interesting that mighty mitts sort of throws things off by being such a big comp but, it's so different than how most of us are competing.

I could whip up a current 3 lift total list from the database if anyone was interested. I have already made the SQL query to pull that info just haven't built a web page yet to show it. Wouldn't have any Mighty Mitts performances in there though and only performances within the last 18months or so that conformed to the IGC rules currently set forth. Lemme know if anyone is interested in that.

- Aaron

I'm just wondeirng what the list would look like if there were no weight classes. I put this list togehter after quickly perusing results from events held in 2012. I don't claim it to be very accurate. Does anyone want to take a stab at doing their own top 10 list? I think it would be fun to compare.

Yes, Aaron, I'd be interested in seeing the three-lift totals of top competitors.

Some on the list may not have done all 3 lifts in competition within the timeframe that the database currently covers which would contribute to lower numbers. Like Jedd for example. As time goes on and we get more comp results that get entered into the database I think we will begin to have an even better picture of the rankings. I can also put up a list of what lifts contributed to these numbers for each but unfortunately it is sorted alphabetical by Athlete and to highest 3 lift total.

Andrew Durniat USA 917.06

Adam Glass USA 870.05

Aaron Corcorran USA 809.93

Matt Brouse USA 771.39

Paul Knight USA 771.26

Brent Barbe USA 759.68

Kody Burns USA 749.33

Chris Mathison USA 737.90

Daniel Reinard USA 736.03

Chris Rice USA 735.29

Malcolm Majesky USA 732.97

Eric Milfeld USA 727.78

Mike Coats USA 721.82

Taylor Holmes USA 719.81

Ryan Johnson USA 714.54

Cesare Ricchezza USA 705.78

Nick Rosendaul USA 704.33

Derek Graybill USA 683.85

Chris Castanon USA 683.64

Brandon Azevedo USA 682.39

Brendan Gerber USA 681.13

Joe Costa USA 672.56

Martin Braun USA 656.36

Matt Massaro USA 654.75

Casey Emery USA 649.73

Ryan Pitts USA 648.95

Austin Acree USA 642.79

Tommy Jennings USA 637.04

Jason Steeves Canada 636.36

Kevin Emery USA 635.95

Ryan Maier USA 631.57

Russ Farver USA 631.19

Andrew Pantke USA 615.77

Dave Dellanave USA 613.22

Joe Goodin USA 610.61

Nick Pivato USA 608.28

Rich MacLean USA 607.94

Greg Gorecki USA 606.75

Joel Davies USA 604.04

Matt Cannon USA 588.47

Aaron Jacobs USA 582.05

Jeff Staudt USA 581.98

Zach Lister USA 581.32

Ian Gillaspie USA 571.33

Greg Griffin USA 565.92

Chuck Penzenik USA 557.26

Brent Bogress USA 550.71

Jake Chaknova USA 545.30

Joe Yunker USA 544.66

Jeff Neely USA 538.71

Hans Florine USA 524.37

Ken Atkins USA 512.92

Jacob Eggleton USA 510.48

Kevin Collen USA 509.85

Robert Lorch USA 498.27

James Dunlap USA 495.85

Isaiah Hubert USA 482.44

Mike T Nelson USA 472.52

Joe Tebbe USA 462.58

Robert Bleakmore USA 462.44

Darren Schilberg USA 452.35

Jedd Johnson USA 450.29

Steve Callahan USA 441.84

Edit, fixed rounding.

Edited by acorn

Aaron,

It's probably OK to round to a few sf... :grin:

Yep and like I said this is straight out of the database, with Kilos to Lbs conversions applied where needed in the SQL. I normally do the rounding in the webpage.

- Aaron

Oh there I am at the bottom! Hopefully I'll kick it up a few notches this weekend.

I think the top ten is what anyone would expect, apart from Jedd not being there of course.

Oh there I am at the bottom! Hopefully I'll kick it up a few notches this weekend.

I think the top ten is what anyone would expect, apart from Jedd not being there of course.

Yep, I double checked his numbers and the problem is he doesn't currently have an recent Axle DL number to add to his total. Should be rectified this weekend I would suppose if his back cooperates. Hope mine does too for that matter.

- Aaron

• Like 1

We will know Saturday!

Are you down for a bit of bending after Aaron?

We will know Saturday!

Are you down for a bit of bending after Aaron?

Anything's possible. I'm currently pretty weak on bending after having not done it for so long though. Maybe Bastard level. I think someone may even bring an armwrestling table from what I've heard for after the comp. Either way should be lots of toys for you guys who make it down to play with. It is going to be at my my house and not the regular crossfit place we sometimes do comps at.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

If you want to leave some finger skin at Aaron's place, we can always break out the Dinnie ring. I have a similar one from Ben Edwards. I can bring that down, and we can see if anybody can do a complete Dinnie lift.

If you want to leave some finger skin at Aaron's place, we can always break out the Dinnie ring. I have a similar one from Ben Edwards. I can bring that down, and we can see if anybody can do a complete Dinnie lift.

I have one. Still recovering from a finger bone bruise that I think that thing did a few months ago.

I like acorns list a lot more

Yet I do think Ivan Beritashvili should be up their since he did just win world strongest hands which I think is one of the biggest grip contests right now.

I have one. Still recovering from a finger bone bruise that I think that thing did a few months ago.

Sorry, didn't write that out well above - we can use yours and mine to setup both rings. Was the bruise from when Derek, Zach, and I were over, or is that from a different time?

sine the rankings aaron put up are based on the big three this issue will come up from time to time. NASGA has a thing for highland games like this. some guys end up with a much lower score because they never get a mark in one event or another. eventually it evens out.

also, this is only based on about 1 years worth of comps. as things go along the list should change to reflect the current state of things.

also, he's not north american.

I like acorns list a lot more

Yet I do think Ivan Beritashvili should be up their since he did just win world strongest hands which I think is one of the biggest grip contests right now.

• Like 1

Woohoo! Sitting at #9 ain't too bad on the NAGS total list.

Not sure i'll be PRing much this Saturday. I forgot to take a vacation day on friday graveyards. That mean i work 13 hours that night and get home at 6:30am. 2 hours sleep then drive out to the comp in time to set up is gonna be rough.

Paul Knight definitely should be on the list. Grippers and bending he pretty much has a big lead on in the NA region. It's hard to deny any of the Elite people. I would love to see Rich, Tex and all the MM guys try a NAGS event. Parallel grippers and bending will be immediately tough for anyone who hasn't put in the time.

Ah, Nationals 2012 bites me in the ass again....

Nice work Aaron. Thansk again for everything you've done along these lines.