New York Grip Throw Down

Chez

I have been training grip and competing in grip competitions for just over a year and I have loved every minute of it. I have met many terrific people along the way who have inspired me. It is time for me to give back and do my part to help grow the sport. I will be holding my first grip competition in Westchester, NY called the “New York Grip Throw Down.” I will be co-hosting this event with John Wojciechowski (wojo on the gripboard).

Date:

Saturday January 5th, 2013.

BOTTICELLI FITNESS - XTREME TRAINING

637 Commerce Street - Thornwood, NY 10594

http://www.botticell...ss.com/home.php

This location is about 20 minutes from my house and right around the corner from where I grew up. I went to High School with the owner, Anthony Botticelli. He graduated one year before me.

Events:

1) RGC Rated grippers with 20mm block set - BOTH hands, Right and Left. 4 attempts for each hand. Score will be combined total lbs. I saw Adam Glass do this in his competitions and love the idea. I don’t want anyone hiding a weak off hand.

2) Max 2hp - 4 attempts

3) Max Ironmind Apollons Axle - 4 attempts

4) Medley - ~40 objects - 4 minutes, 1 attempt. A separated medley will be created for women if any attend.

5) Wrist Roller – It will be attached to a sled and timed. Weight and distance TBD. A lower weight will be used for women if any attend.

Rules:

Official NAGS rules. http://www.gripsport.org/

Fee:

$20 due by December 29th, 2012. One can mail a check to Cesare Ricchezza, 21 Summit Road, Katonah, NY 10536 OR by paypal to cricchezza@hotmail.com.

- This money will be use to rent the facility for the day.

Miscellaneous:

I’ll try my best to put together prizes and trophies. Donations are appreciated.

More Information such as an Entry form, Start time, List of medley items, Etc… will added to this thread as I figure them out. Bear with me because this is my first attempt to run a competition.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

Do my best to be there. No promises just yet. Glad to know you are putting it on.

• Like 4

Awesome Chez! Mad props for taking it to the next level! I like your choices in event format.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys! You are all evidence of the quality people who are involved in grip sport!

Updated Sponsors:

Jason Steeves (Shoggoth on the Grip Board) - Jason made an extremely generous donation that will be used for prizes. On a side not - Jason has really helped me with my Double Overhand Bending Technique as I train for the Red Nail Certification. Thank you my friend.

- If I place in this competition, I am automatically giving the prize I earn to the next highest placing contest. I'm not doing this contest to earn prizes. This is strictly for love of the sport.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

You know I am down like James Brown all over town! I'm really pumped for this one being the first grip comp I'll be going too. Chez this is great that you've put this together and I'll help in any way to make this a successful and fun event. I'll talk to some of the guys from nycarms and see if we can't get some arm wrestlers to come and show what they got in grip.

• Like 3

You know I am down like James Brown all over town! I'm really pumped for this one being the first grip comp I'll be going too. Chez this is great that you've put this together and I'll help in any way to make this a successful and fun event. I'll talk to some of the guys from nycarms and see if we can't get some arm wrestlers to come and show what they got in grip.

haha, Awesome! You and your friends aren't allowed to snap any arms at this event :)

Another person contacted me about contributing to the event:

Todd Coenen (IROC-Z on the gripboard) - Thanks a lot Todd!

• Like 1

Another person contacted me about sponsoring the event:

Frank DeLuca (FrankD on the gripboard): Frank is donating grip equipment that will be used in the competition and then given away as prizes. Thanks a lot Frank!

5) Wrist Roller – It will be attached to a sled and timed. Weight and distance TBD. A lower weight will be used for women if any attend.

Hey Chez, I'm curious as to the wrist roller diameter. I know we have both seen them vary quite a bit.

Is there a "standard" size for competitions?

Hey Chez, I'm curious as to the wrist roller diameter. I know we have both seen them vary quite a bit.

I don't think there is a standard competition size since I have seen them use 2 different sizes at grip nationals in past years. I was thinking of using a 2 inch diameter one for this comp.

I'll check our schedule. We'd love to come visit you for once.

Awesome. You're always welcomed here.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Sponsor to add to the list:

Daniel Reinard has donated a prize for the competition. Daniel has always given me training tips and motivated me to reach my goals. Thanks a lot dude.

• Like 2

I don't think there is a standard competition size since I have seen them use 2 different sizes at grip nationals in past years. I was thinking of using a 2 inch diameter one for this comp.

Correct - no standard size.

Just scoped this out on Yahoo. Only about 3 to 3.5 hours away. Sweet.

I'm taking that as a probable attendance. Very cool.

Easy Drive also :grin: .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Nate (anwnate) we have a facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/events/367110803377510/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_user_joined

Anyone going please, direct people who might be interest to the page if they aren't involved on the grip forums.

School has been really killing me lately, But I will try and have sign up paper work created this weekend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Please find the entry form for this event below. Copy and paste it into a word processor, print it out and then fill in the required information. I prefer it be mailed to: Cesare Ricchezza, 21 Summit Road, Katonah NY 10536. I posted this kind of late so you can also bring it the day of the competition.

New York Grip Throw Down

ENTRY FORM

In consideration of my acceptance of this entry, I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, and my assignees, waive and release all rights and damages I may have against Xtreme Training at The Botticelli Fitness Facility and its staff, Cesare Ricchezza, John Wojciechowski, any and all sponsors/suppliers, equipment donors, the officials, volunteers, employees, their representatives and assigns, for any and all injuries incurred to me in conjunction with this competition and in traveling to and from the event. And in further consideration of permission being granted to me to participate in the New York Grip Throw Down and its related events, I hereby grant Xtreme Training at The Botticelli Fitness Facility, and Cesare Ricchezza, and John Wojciechowski and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization and all of their agents, successors, licensees and assigns, the right to photograph or otherwise reproduce (whether by film, tape, still photography or otherwise) my voice, appearance and name, and to exhibit, distribute, transmit, and/or otherwise exploit any and all media, including without limitation, by means of still photography, motion pictures, radio, television, television motion pictures, video, printing or any other medium now known or hereafter devised, including with respect also to any merchandising, advertising and/or publicity, and the right to use my name and information about me in any connection with any of the foregoing. The rights granted by me hereunder are granted for the entire universe and shall endure in perpetuity and no further compensation shall be payable to me at anytime in connection therewith. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to obligate Xtreme Training at The Botticelli Fitness Facility, and Cesare Ricchezza, and John Wojciechowski, and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization, to photograph or otherwise reproduce my voice, appearance or name, or to make use of any rights granted herein. I also understand that the aforementioned rights may be reassigned at any time without further consent. I understand that Xtreme Training at The Botticelli Fitness Facility, and Cesare Ricchezza, and John Wojciechowski, and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization, are videotaping and photographing the event in express reliance upon the foregoing, and I represent and agree that I am free to grant the rights granted to Xtreme Training at The Botticelli Fitness Facility, and Cesare Ricchezza, and John Wojciechowski, and/or any other approved video or entertainment organization hereunder. Therefore I affix my signature below:

NAME:_______________________________________________

ADDRESS:______________________________________

CITY:___________________________________________

STATE:__________________________ ZIP:____________

PHONE:____________________________

EMAIL:_____________________________

SIGNATURE:__________________________________________

(PARENT OR GUARDIAN SIGNATURE IF UNDER 18)

Edited by Chez

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the gripper line up for the Competition as it currently stands. I may add grippers if people show up who can bring rated grippers to fill gaps.

1) GNC 50 = 36.9

2) COC Sport = 45.3

3) COC Trainer = 56.2

4) RC Strongman Grip 125 = 65.7

5) GNC 100 = 67.8

6) COC #.5 = 71.2

7) COC #1 = 83.3

8) COC #1.5 = 91.2

9)GNC 150 = 93.7

10) RC Strongman Grip 175 = 93.7

11) COC #2 = 108.9

12) RC Strongman Grip 225 = 111.3

13) COC #2 = 112.7

14) GHP 5 = 118.9

15) GNC 200 = 126.45

16) RB 210 = 128.9

17) COC #2.5 = 129.0

18) COC #2.5 = 133.4

19) RB 240 = 136.5

20) GHP 6 = 137.6

21) GNC 250 = 142.2

22) FBBC 4X = 145.2

23) GHP 7 = 147.2

24) Original COC #3 = 149.2

25) BBGM = 152.7

26) Certification COC #3 = 153.0

27) COC #3 = 154.0

28) MM1 replica = 155

29) GNC 300 = 156.5

30) RB 330 N = 159.6

31) Atomgripz Quad Band = 165.2

32) BBE = 165.3

33) BB Thor Elite = 171.5

34) RB 280 = 174.0

35) GHP 8 = 174.6

36) COC #3.5 179.0

37) COC # 3.5 = 179.7

38) RB 365N = 181.6

39) RB 330 = 182.3

40) MM3 Replica = 185.8

41) BBSE = 194.45

42) COC #4 = 202.8

43) COC #4 = 214.7

44) COC #4 = 217.9

That's as good of a spread as you could hope for really. For the most part all the jumps are probably within the margin of error.

• Like 1

That's as good of a spread as you could hope for really. For the most part all the jumps are probably within the margin of error.

Vast majority of these are mine (39 of them).......such a gripper junkie :grin:

• Like 1

Here are the items for the standard medley as they stand right now. I still have to decide on the weights. The weight will be increased for Elite guys if they come and decreased for women if they come.

Thick Bar

Light weight Thick Bar Dumbbell lift using Fat Gripz

Medium weight Thick Bar Dumbbell lift using Fat Gripz

Heavy weight Thick Bar Dumbbell lift using an Inch Trainer

Rolling Thunder

Ironmind Little Big Horn

2 Inch V-Bar

Pinch

Various Block weights – 5 of them

IM Hub

IM Blockbuster Pinch Block

2-25lb plate pinch

2-35lb plate pinch

5-10lb plate pinch

4-10lb plate pinch

3-10lb plate pinch

Vulcan Thumbscrew dynamic pinch

1 hand thin pinch (maybe just the plates without rubber spacers) on the Euro

Hex DB pinch lifts (pinch the hex heads) - 2 different weights

Ghetto Stub Lift

Crush

plate loaded grip machine

Silver Bullet Load (put the silver bullet between a Vucan V2 handles and load to platform)

TNS gripper close

CCS gripper close

Wrist

Internal rotation

External rotation

Front weaver stick sledge coin load to platform

reverse weaver stick with sledge

Slim lever sledge from floor

Sledge lever to forehead

25 lb plate curl

David Horne Wrist Developer

Misc