Why I Still Cant Close This Gripper

Rampage jackson

hello after i try everything i still cant close the hg 250 i can close the no.1 for 30 reps every hand but im (2 years) stuck on hg250 it's so boring train when you stuck 2 years I tried all training once two or less or more per week negatives everything.... i dont know why this im almost close the 250 but cant touch the handles somone can give me advice ??

i too struggled with that same gripper for a while. there is one thing i like about that gripper, it's cheap. nothing else to like about it. the knurling is too slippery and that is why i had problems with it . my hands are not big so i need that thumb side handle to stay high up my hand. that was hard for me to do with the hg250. my advice would be to buy a coc 2 or ghp 5 and let your hg250 collect dust.

1) Train your thumbs. Any kind of pinch gripping will help you, but I've found Hub lifting to have the most carry over. Block weights are also great for this. If you really want to take the cheap route here, by a 2x6, cut a 6 inch piece off, attach an eye hook to it and you have a pinch training tool that you can attach to a loading pin.

2) Train your end (ring and pinky) fingers. You can use the specialized IMTUGs, or just practice closing lighter grippers with your end fingers. Again, hub lifting has some cross over effect here, as it trains your finger tips and makes each finger stronger in their weakest points, their tips, which are obviously the part of the fingers doing the closing on a gripper.

3) Buy a different (better) gripper! It may not be your hand strength that's holding you back here, but the crappy qualities of those HG grippers, as others have stated. Sounds like you need some variety anyways, if nothing else then to just refresh your training.

Overtrained and you don't know it. I've seen it all too often. Just because you don't feel overtrained doesn't mean you aren't. Take a 2 months gripper break and just do thickbar work instead. I am willing to put $ on it that you come back stronger.

Also a poor gripper will make things hard. Buy a used good quality one, or new.

• Like 2

HG grippers are all over the place. You may have one that is like a #3. It is just the way HG rolls!

Work on setting the gripper. This may sound dumb but "squeeze harder" I think after we get stuck at a certain place

We get use to stopping at the same spot.

• Like 1

I think you just need a break for a few days. Also like others have said, strengthen your thumb by doing pinch grip and get your pinky and ring finger up to strength also.

Most importantly, take a break and do some stretches.

Good luck

Choke your HG250 to 10mm and see if you can close it. If you cant, get some gripper to fill the gap.

That. And the overtraining aspect.

Stop grippers for a while like three month. Rest for one full month. Then for two month do little of thick bar, more pinching especially blobs and do overal strength training like deadlifts, squats and so on. You should be able to murder that gripper. Avoid doing too many reps, focus on lesser but stronger reps. This way you will avoid overtraining while get stronger.

actually i tried all things you guys said in this 2 years im not stupied i tried rest mounthes and more things.. im not tried Choke the gripper because i dont know how

about what more training i do im bodybuilder im get bigger and stronger in the gym just the gripper make problems!

Edited by Rampage jackson

You didn't try all things said. We have never seen you try to close a gripper and you need to try a better quality gripper. That one may be really hard for some reason. I have cheap grippers that jump from a #2 type rating to a #3 even though they weren't meant to.

Post a video. Let us see first hand what's going on. Otherwise these posts are a waste of time, asking for help then saying later already did it.

• Like 5

The hard gripper angle is one to consider, except sometimes it actually takes this long. It took me about two years of dedicated training to finally close a legit 150+ #3. For someone like Hubgeezer, it took 8 years. You shouldn't necessarily expect to have close it by now.

Work on setting the gripper. This may sound dumb but "squeeze harder" I think after we get stuck at a certain place

It doesn't sound dumb. "Squeeze harder" is the key. Sometimes we complicate things too much and it is easy to forget this simple thing. I'd go as far as saying that most tend to close grippers they can already close with just enough effort to feel those handles touch. That is not productive in any way.
  • Like 1

It doesn't sound dumb. "Squeeze harder" is the key. Sometimes we complicate things too much and it is easy to forget this simple thing. I'd go as far as saying that most tend to close grippers they can already close with just enough effort to feel those handles touch. That is not productive in any way.

Agreed. When I was working on just closing the #2, I didn't get anywhere until, as obvious as it may seem) I made a concious effort to really squeeze as hard as possible.

I remember Nathan Holle made a similar statement once. I believe he put it, "Squeeze as hard as you can every single time."

• Like 2

That video was key for getting help. You are for sure very strong! You just have a terrible set... Way too far back in the palm. Setting for the best gripper closes is setting the handle near the first palm crease - near your fingers. This will take a lot of practice as it dose not feel "right" You just have to learn to set it that way and it will become natural after a long while. Check out Paul knights video on gripper setting. It is the best video for setting instruction. If it is not pinned on the gripboard yet it should be.

With a proper set you probably can close a 2.5 and may be very close to a #3.

• Like 2

Yep, with proper handle placement, that sucker would be shut! I second the referral of Paul's setting video. I'd link, but I'm on my iPod.

Guys, lets keep in mind he may like the TNS like set and doing parallel sets won't really help him know if he's progressing from wide sets, unless he tests the wide set on occasion. My suggestion is based on if you prefer to train those wide sets or if you have no preference and would consider doing parallel training. Wide sets have a broader carryover to general hand strength and MMS sets are better for deadlift grips, contest style grippers, Mash Monster certs and IMO they offer a means of more consistant gains and are easier to see strength gains in.

So if you prefer that wide set check out Ben Edwards TNS closes. He has the most technique sound way of positioning the rear handle as far towards the fingers as possible yet still doing a really wide set.

If you have no preference I say start doing MMS closes, or parallel closes. They are easier to get gains from, and allow for technique mastery which is important in performance. Having great technique does more for your training than anything else. As others said, Paul's video is the best there is. We all learned from it.

Also I couldn't tell if you were using chalk. If not, buy some. It's like a $1 a block and makes for consistant training which is very important.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1