How Do You Psyche Up?

EricMilfeld

Which best describes your psyche up routine?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes your psyche up routine?

• Reserved
    • Animated

We've seen guys bangin their heads on squat bars, subjecting themselves to slaps across the face, and of course screaming and yelling. Then there are those like me, who very quietly focus on the task at hand. I suspect that most of us would fall into the latter category, but I may be surprised.

All you gotta do to psyche up,is to look at pics of Sybersnott in

the Gallery!

And then tell yourself...if i don't train hard i'm gonna end up

looking like him . :whistel

sorry Syber....couldn't resist!

At first, I am very quiet. I listen to my music via headphones-I dont talk to anybody, dont look at anybody, I like to be in complete solice.

Once I have visualized the lift to my satisfaction and my name is called-I like to have a nose full of ammonia and a couple good smacks accross the chops.

Rick Walker :rock

Very reserved

I havent reached the level when I can really psych up and go crazy with a real adrenaline rush, which happens sometimes when you get angry irl. What I have tried lately is to not think too much at all and just do it, it works pretty good. I heard Paul Anderson also did something similiar, he felt that psyching didnt help him but instead created too much respect for the weight.

I might be a little lame but when I try to really focus in silence my mind often travels, I hate that so I prefer to train with music when I can.

:) Myself I use all kinds of mental tricks to get myself motivated. One I use just before I do a lift is to think I just won the lottery. I get real excited about going to cash it in but first have to get this lift done.. It helps me cause my mind then gets fired up to do the job. I feel whatever works is the best key.

Usually pretty fired up before a big lift. No slapping or swearing but others around will know I'm ready to lift.

Before a big lift (for me) i pace the room and repeat in a low voice "C'mon Big Boy, c'mon !" which could seem funny since i'm 5'11 and 174lbs (79kgs)... But it works ! :tongue

I'm very animated when I lift. When I see that bar, I visualize that thing blasting up to lockout, without a hint of hesitation. SPEED, SPEED, SPEED, is all that's going through my mind at that point in time. I also like to taunt myself as well if the visualizing has failed me on that day. A nice hit to the chest or cheeks is the icing on the cake to send me over the edge.

LJ

Getting under the bar for a squat or taking the weight off the rack for a bench, both are enough to get me fired up for normal lifts. Very calm, very relaxed.

For the olympic lifts, I close my eyes and I focus on my breathing, and bring my awareness to my body. Once I'm aware of my body, I visualize the lift over and over again until I "Know" I can easily make it. Then, I shake the bar, growl at it, and execute the lift.

I also am very reserved, I focuse on the past, you know the what could have been, what should have been, past relathionships etc..

I usually don't use a big psyche up for my workouts. I save the psyche up for big max attempts. Before big max attempts I usually eat a low glycemic index meal (protein shake and easy mac) 2 hours out. Then during those two hours I watch motivational movies/tapes that are not related to what I'm going to max out on. For example I will watch Rocky films for an hour and a half if I'm gonna max on a grip lift. Then the last thirty minutes I will consume a caffeinated beverage and watched strictly grip films if I am maxing on a grip lift (ie: Joe Kinney, Sorin, Gripboard movie) while listening to some good tunes. When the time has arrived I usually take some deep forceful breathes and get into a zone by only thinking of the task at hand. When I am psyched up, I usually just act on instinct. I don't think about the lift I just do it. Still I don't hit or slap or anything like that. I psyche up just sitting in a chair thinking about what is about to take place.

I think of all those who have said that I 'You can't'.I think of those that say no.I think of bad coaches or bad bosses or overbearing teachers ALL those that took authority too far or misused their position in life .I think of matches i have lost and the people that have defeated me.i think of the pain I felt from a slam and the last gasp you make before going out n a choke.I think of bad child hood memories.Bad girlfriends.I think that MY weakness is the reason all these things happened.I think it was my fault for being such a pussy.

I then think of those that are stronger than me and those at the top.

I brew this into a quiet rage and go for a tough set,an extra few reps,a new PR....i then ask for forgiveness for my frightening and negative thoughts and i then thank God that I wasn't injured during the set or effort.

It can be rather disturbing but i switch it off after a work out..and then i wonder why i do it at all. :laugh

Contrary to what that grip geek Ray thinks, I am usually reserved.

I concentrate on my greatness, my powerful good looks, my amazing personality - I hone it ALL into my massive forearms, then...

SOMETHING WONDERFUL HAPPENS :blink:bow:bow:rock

Tom,

I couldn't have written it any better, my mental routine is very similar, and I'm somewhat driven by my fear of failure. It's like....I work this hard, give up this much time, risk serious injury, etc.....It sure as hell isn't gonna be for nothing.

As for a psych up CD.......check out the new "Steve Jeck" CD from Ironmind. If you don't fell like you might be able to go double bodyweight for 20 after listening....check your pulse!!!

Mike :rock

Reserved, but filled with a great fire and passion to succeed that comes from within.

-------------------------

"Live long, stay strong" - C.F.B.