Hubbing Tutorial

daniel reinard

A vid on different types of hubs, different chalks for the various hubs, how to season a hub quickly, training methods, different ways to grip a hub depending on the style you encounter, feats, etc.

• Like 3

Great tutorial Daniel! I'm very impressed with your speaking style and content. You seem very at ease with public speaking.

I looked on http://www.gripsport.org/rules.htm and I didn't see anything with regards to hub form rules. Is the dry hands with alcohol or windex accepted in hub events? Or is it left up to the promotor's discretion?

Can you lift the 45 with the fatter (5") shallow hub?

Instead of magnets I use pony clamps through the center of the smaller plates onto the rim of the main plate.

lots of good info here. i got away from playing with hubs when I moved gyms. I always felt that hub lifting was super beneficial to my pinch and grip training since it leaves the hand unsupported through the lift.

Great tutorial Daniel! I'm very impressed with your speaking style and content. You seem very at ease with public speaking.

I looked on http://www.gripsport.org/rules.htm and I didn't see anything with regards to hub form rules. Is the dry hands with alcohol or windex accepted in hub events? Or is it left up to the promotor's discretion?

Can you lift the 45 with the fatter (5") shallow hub?

Thanks man. There are no rules about grabbing hubs with bent thumb, but I have seen rules in some contests mention no vbar grip. Chalk is the only allowed method in contests, dry hands has been accepted the places I've competed.

Yup, the second I unloaded the car from purchasing the plates off CL.

About a week into hubbing plates.

Instead of magnets I use pony clamps through the center of the smaller plates onto the rim of the main plate.

lots of good info here. i got away from playing with hubs when I moved gyms. I always felt that hub lifting was super beneficial to my pinch and grip training since it leaves the hand unsupported through the lift.

Good idea with the clamps. I don't hub much, maybe I should then. I just hated the cramped hand feeling of a heavy hub lift.

Good tutorial. Would you say that pinch pinch 10lb plates is a viable way to work up to a 45lbs plate? Only my 45s have hubs

Good tutorial. Would you say that pinch pinch 10lb plates is a viable way to work up to a 45lbs plate? Only my 45s have hubs

I think you mean pinching multiple 10lb plates, like say 4x10 and 5x10 or 5 dimes? You'd get only a small amount of carryover with that. For hub pinching it's best to find a hub, or make one similar to an IM hub. Making a IM style hub might be your best bet, if you have a welder, or you can take it to a weld shop. A couple tacks and it's done. You may also be able to get a deloader to work okay with the 45lb plate. Craigslist is a great source for a variety of plates. I have 4 different sets of 45s.

Daniel - how much do you wedge your fingers/thumb into the bottom "corner" of the plate vs. the side wall of the hub? I've found that I can get a little more purchase this way when I'm working on shorter hubs. Just curious if you find this useful, or the sideways thumb more useful?

Daniel - how much do you wedge your fingers/thumb into the bottom "corner" of the plate vs. the side wall of the hub? I've found that I can get a little more purchase this way when I'm working on shorter hubs. Just curious if you find this useful, or the sideways thumb more useful?

I do both. It just depends on the type and feel of a hub. That's why I recommend training different gripping styles. You never know what kind of hubs you'll see and you might not know how to best grab it unless you just try the different styles.

I think you mean pinching multiple 10lb plates, like say 4x10 and 5x10 or 5 dimes? You'd get only a small amount of carryover with that. For hub pinching it's best to find a hub, or make one similar to an IM hub. Making a IM style hub might be your best bet, if you have a welder, or you can take it to a weld shop. A couple tacks and it's done. You may also be able to get a deloader to work okay with the 45lb plate. Craigslist is a great source for a variety of plates. I have 4 different sets of 45s.

That's exactly what I am talking about. With the 10lbs plates perhaps I have specified by saying if I lift with my fingertips solely? Or do you think that there was still be only a little carryover?

That's exactly what I am talking about. With the 10lbs plates perhaps I have specified by saying if I lift with my fingertips solely? Or do you think that there was still be only a little carryover?

I'm not sure but I think the carryover will be small. Your best bet would be to hang a rubber mat with bungees to make a deloader. That way you could train the exact pinch and you'll be able to monitor progress as you begin to lift the plate higher and higher on the deloader.

Daniel,

Thanks for this one. Many good points on hubbing that I have not reflected over previously, but will now try. Great Stuff!

You're welcome guys. A couple people asked for a hub vid. I'm happy to see y'all can use the info.

oh thats a really good idea. i was kind of afraid that a deloader would be a complicated thing to make

It's really cheap and easy. A couple eyelet hooks, bungees and a rubber door mat is all you need.

I do both. It just depends on the type and feel of a hub. That's why I recommend training different gripping styles. You never know what kind of hubs you'll see and you might not know how to best grab it unless you just try the different styles.

Daniel - I was reviewing the picture of Mike C. at the apex of his recording breaking lift, and just noticed the sideways thumb. I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks for pointing this technique out. I need to incorporate it in my training. I've started to make more progress on my hub lifts lately. Now that I'm using gloves during my KB snatches my hands aren't so torn up all the time. It seems like all my grip stuff is moving up. higher.

Daniel - I was reviewing the picture of Mike C. at the apex of his recording breaking lift, and just noticed the sideways thumb. I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks for pointing this technique out. I need to incorporate it in my training. I've started to make more progress on my hub lifts lately. Now that I'm using gloves during my KB snatches my hands aren't so torn up all the time. It seems like all my grip stuff is moving up. higher.

I didn't know Mike used it too. Well, it's allowed on the IM hub for record breakers and most people get 5-10# out of that style so why not use it. Glad to see you found a way to train grip with KBs. Jacked hands is only manly for a minute, until the training suffers.