And The List Goes On And On...

Geralt

http://ironmind.com/..._3_Gripper.html

Certification well deserved as I read the description! Keep it up guys, this motivates me as hell.

Kody is super strong. I competed with him at Nationals. Hell of a nice guy also. The really impressive thing is that hes a little taller than me and weighs over 60lbs less. Very lean.

http://ironmind.com/..._3_Gripper.html

Certification well deserved as I read the description! Keep it up guys, this motivates me as hell.

Kody is super strong. I competed with him at Nationals. Hell of a nice guy also. The really impressive thing is that hes a little taller than me and weighs over 60lbs less. Very lean.

I could NOT believe he was competing at 83kg. when you look at him, he looked bigger than that for sure.

Imagine him weighing around 210# or so - or even 240# - beast mode for sure! He could very easily carry that much.

Met Kody at the April Decathlon. Very nice, humble guy. Strong as hell As predicted by Glass at the time, Kody has sure made a splash!

Excellent work on the certification Kody!

Imagine him weighing around 210# or so - or even 240# - beast mode for sure! He could very easily carry that much.

The tough part is us lean guys have such a hard time putting 20, let alone 60# on. I've been trying to takethe advice that some mass would help my grip game. I put on 35# in a year but have hit a wall at 200#. The next 20 seems like it will take years. I have to eat like crazy just to stay at 200, and I don't have the time to work out enough to promote that kind of growth. And to be honest, not alot of grip strength has come up with that 35#. So far the experiment is myth busted.

The tough part is us lean guys have such a hard time putting 20, let alone 60# on. I've been trying to takethe advice that some mass would help my grip game. I put on 35# in a year but have hit a wall at 200#. The next 20 seems like it will take years. I have to eat like crazy just to stay at 200, and I don't have the time to work out enough to promote that kind of growth. And to be honest, not alot of grip strength has come up with that 35#. So far the experiment is myth busted.

Danial - I believe that time will show you an advantage to the increased size - in some events more than others of course. A look at the Top 50 lists and the Record lists show very few lifters in the top ten of any lift below 200# of BW. As an example you have to go to 23rd place (Eric) on the 2HP to find a lifter under 200# - I am 16th at just over that weight (201). Adam I think is next at something like 218# for his 6th place on the list. Bodyweights go up much higher after that - I think Axle numbers may even show a bigger difference from increased bodyweight. So don't give up just yet.

Edited by climber511

True. An exciting change may happen soon. Adam is one of the top axle guys out there. And he may be a top 2HP guy by 9/29. If that were the case i'm sure that would turn some heads.

I have a theory about why big guys are top grip guys. It may be a little much to type on my phone as the kiddo is running around the park but basically grip is a hobby or secondary sport for many. Strength is strength and some of the best ever were not impressive in size. Some of the best AWs were/are giant killers. And that cames down to base strength for grip as a sport. Big guys have a starting advantage and some weight/friction displacement via chubby fingers (somewhat joking) but I think the strength for 240 2HP is attainable by small guys with the same work that the big guys put in to get to their size. Strength is work and for grip most our numbers IMO are not astronomical that no one can achieve them. Does that make sense? Big guys put in their work long before they find grip.

Dan, did you gain fat though? Maybe you gained 35# but if much of it was fat then obviously it won't help your lifts. You still look lean, but to gain that much weight in such a short time, a lot would have to be fat I would think, even if it was spread all over your body.

True. An exciting change may happen soon. Adam is one of the top axle guys out there. And he may be a top 2HP guy by 9/29. If that were the case i'm sure that would turn some heads.

Adam is an example of someone who has been working on increasing muscle mass--systematically and effectively--probably for years though. He writes blog posts about where he came from and referred to himself as "fat." Even 5 years ago his body composition was a LOT different I think.

Dan, did you gain fat though? Maybe you gained 35# but if much of it was fat then obviously it won't help your lifts. You still look lean, but to gain that much weight in such a short time, a lot would have to be fat I would think, even if it was spread all over your body.

it would be unnatural to gain that much muscle in that amount of time. i suspect he did gain some fat along the way. he doesn't look like he is carrying too much extra BF though. suspect he is in the 12-15% range. lean by US standards.

I have a theory about why big guys are top grip guys. It may be a little much to type on my phone as the kiddo is running around the park but basically grip is a hobby or secondary sport for many. Strength is strength and some of the best ever were not impressive in size. Some of the best AWs were/are giant killers. And that cames down to base strength for grip as a sport. Big guys have a starting advantage and some weight/friction displacement via chubby fingers (somewhat joking) but I think the strength for 240 2HP is attainable by small guys with the same work that the big guys put in to get to their size. Strength is work and for grip most our numbers IMO are not astronomical that no one can achieve them. Does that make sense? Big guys put in their work long before they find grip.

I think this is certainly true - many of the top grip guys were already very strong overall or at least in other strength arenas like AW etc. They brought that strength with them to grip - then applied some skill work to make further progress with specific event training. Danial (and maybe I fall in here too) brought a lot of his potential hand strength with them to the sport from climbing - so a lot of our potential was perhaps already developed when we started. It's going to be harder for a guy like Danial to make further gains than it will be some someone who started at what might be called "zero" and will have the "newbie" strength gains. That's why I think his weight gain will catch up and allow progress for him in the future. Getting everything you have out of 180# is not the same as getting everything you have out of 200 pounds (or more).

it would be unnatural to gain that much muscle in that amount of time. i suspect he did gain some fat along the way. he doesn't look like he is carrying too much extra BF though. suspect he is in the 12-15% range. lean by US standards.

It was almost entirely muscle. Mostly back and legs which is hard to tell without a strip show. I struggled my whole life to gain weight and then last year I figured it all out. The food intake was ther, I just needed the right workout. Deadlifts put 15# on me in a very short time. That put me at 180 then I found out about WSH 2011 so I had to diet to ensure I made weigh ins. I gained a little more muscle and dropped what little fat I had on me so I stayed at 180. At that point I was heavier and leaner than ever in my life. I had to diet for 4 months for WSH where I didn't gain a pound. After that I splurged, eating everything and kicking up the training again for more gains. My bf % is probably the same as ever in my life but its muscle I can assure you. And before anyone asks or assumes there was no juice involved. It was all a matter of the proper workout to facilitate the growth. Everything I was doing promoted a lean body, and i'm naturally lean.

Enough about that, Kody is strong. He could achieve the 800 total if he finds a routine that works for him. Maybe at 190 it will be tough to set WR in the unlimited class but any way you slice it, anyone at 800 total will be a force in most grip comps.

Not really got to also realize with muscle you will get some water gain also so probably put on some water weight with that much muscle he put on. In videos he doesn't look like he is much higher then 10% bodyfat. You eventually hit a wall when you won't be able to put on 30lbs a year obviously yet he is still well within his natural size. Many people have put on 20-40lbs in one year of lean gains when they figure out how to properly train-as mentioned in the below article-

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

good article on how much muscle mass average genetics can put on without any assistance whats so ever. So someone of average height can be around 180ishlbs in contest shape -roughly 3% bodyfat dehydrated- This is an absurd amount of muscle mass by the way if you have ever had the chance to see someone that size in that condition.

Not really got to also realize with muscle you will get some water gain also so probably put on some water weight with that much muscle he put on. In videos he doesn't look like he is much higher then 10% bodyfat. You eventually hit a wall when you won't be able to put on 30lbs a year obviously yet he is still well within his natural size. Many people have put on 20-40lbs in one year of lean gains when they figure out how to properly train-as mentioned in the below article-

http://www.bodyrecom...-potential.html

good article on how much muscle mass average genetics can put on without any assistance whats so ever. So someone of average height can be around 180ishlbs in contest shape -roughly 3% bodyfat dehydrated- This is an absurd amount of muscle mass by the way if you have ever had the chance to see someone that size in that condition.

I also read this from that site:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html

Muscle magazine claims notwithstanding, a natural trainee is usually doing damn well to gain 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (and a female might gain half of that). Yes, you’ll occasionally see a faster rate of gain but much more than that (especially for sustained periods) tends to be rare.

And while that may not sound like much, realize that a 0.5 lb per week muscle gain over the course of a year comes out to 26 pounds of lean body mass. And most won’t get that past their first year of training.

However, to get that rate of muscle mass gain will usually require some amount of fat gain, depending on how much over maintenance you’re eating, this might be an additional half pound of fat per week. So a reasonable weekly or monthly weight gain rate might be 1 pound per week or 4 pounds per month of which about half should be muscle and the other half fat.

You guys, the bf% and weight stuff is really interesting to talk about but we shouldn't do it in Kody's thread.

I got a chance to ask him what his next goals were and he said either the Red or the 800# elite total. he seemed to lean towards the elite total. Look for him to make a move to make another mark on grip.

You guys, the bf% and weight stuff is really interesting to talk about but we shouldn't do it in Kody's thread.

I got a chance to ask him what his next goals were and he said either the Red or the 800# elite total. he seemed to lean towards the elite total. Look for him to make a move to make another mark on grip.

Not sure what his total is towards 800# Elite right now but I'm sure he blew away the new 83 K class Elite number at Nationals. He could very easily lift in the 93K class as he's pretty tall and close to the class limit between 83 and 93. Not sure what his plan is for weight class eventually but he may be able to hit 800 as an 83 - that would be a major milestone for anyone to achieve. There are a couple guys who I think can do it that are in the 93K class but I can't think of anyone else who I think is close as an 83. Guys like Adam and PK could possibly manipulate bodyweight to do it as 93s - bringing their strength down with them but 800 as an 83 - that would be something special! Go Kody