Do Arm Wrestlers Have The Stronges Arms In The World

kelby

would it be safe to say that arm wrestlers have one of the strongest arms in the world. i mean the weight they use for workouts, and static holds they do with people pulling their arms. that is crazy. not to mention their gips.

what is your opinion?

Most armwrestlers are very strong when their arms are bent at a 90 degree angle (static lock strength). For a full range motion curl, their arms may not be the strongest (as compared to people who compete in strict curl contests). Most armwrestlers have strong hand and wrists in terms of support strength, but not necessarily very strong in pinching or crushing movements.

For the way the arm is used in armwrestling, top armwrestlers are incredibly strong. But overall, I don't know if it's fair to say that their arms are the "strongest" in a general sense.

my opinion would be yes. to me, the arm is from the shoulder to the wrist. the strength they have developed in the whole arm is probably unmatched by other athletes. i would say gymnasts would probably be next followed by strongmen competitors. obviously only my opinion though.

reason why i asked is, i am seriously thinking of doing arm wrestling workouts to aid my wrestling. i find strong grip and arms along with back is very very useful in grappling. and if i had some of the strength thses arm wresters have, i can be very dangerous along with good grappling technique.

I agree that armwrestling strength would help with grappling. However, if you haven't practiced armwrestling before, be forewarned that you will be sore. The stresses your arms experience through armwrestling are not experienced through other activities and it takes a while to get used to. But if you get good enough, it will be difficult for anyone to armbar you!

Honestly, I don't think AW will help out your grappling at all.

Arm wrestlers are good at arm wrestling not because they just have strong arms, but because they're strong with the particular skill set of arm wrestling.

Likewise, grapplers have to be strong in the skill set of grappling. The two are not interchangeable.

However, strength gains could definitely help you in most any sport, and I think this is what you're wondering: will arm wrestling help my grappling by giving me stronger arms to execute grappling moves?

To this, my answer will be no.

AW makes you strong in a very limited way, that is more about using leverage and the whole of your body than it is about using your arm.

An arm wrestler who uses only his arm strength is a bad arm wrestler.

I do recommend you to try your hand at arm wrestling to see how you like it.

If you're just about grappling, you should create a workout that can directly relate to the way you use your body in grappling.

Do Aw have strong arms/hand/wrist/upperbody? Yes absolutely

Yet strength is always relative to the activity its hard to test which arm is strongest unless you compare it to the activity your trying to acomplish. For grappling arm wrestling will not help you, grappling will. A strong grip will most deffenitely help you though especially in GI grappling where a strong grip is vital. So training is the same for most athletes in that they do weight training plus specific drills to improve their specific sport.

My advice is if you want to be better at grappling make sure you continue to do your grappling classes because technique is the mosti mportant. Also implement a good strength and conditioning program both of these are vital to any athlete. Also implement some grip training-look at the logs here- to improve your grip for grappling which is very important.

That being said arm wrestling is a very fun sport and I'd recommend anyone to try it out.

Edited by yummy

nice answers you guys. reason why I also want to try arm wrestling workout is, i can't help noticing arm wrestlers have big biceps. (not all, but most) and i wouldn't mind trying an arm wrestling routine out for about a year. is it all about dumbell hammer curls, or do they do regular barbel curls also. and what kinda of other exercises can i incorporate. how many days a week would be good. three times a week. and other body parts i want to do once a week. such as deadlifts and shoulder presses. ( i have been getting good results on the military press, doing it once a week. 225 for six strict reps. lol thought i brag a little. ) and my arms don't seem to grow when doing them once a week.

Well first of all 225 for strict pres for reps is beyond my level so you might know more about weight training then I do. Yet for one thing the actual aspect of arm wrestling wont necessarily improve your arm size or strength. They get big arms from weight training-though yes arm wrestling will stress your whole body-. Also since seems like you might train for strength its harder to get hypertrophy gains on a pure strength program. I find the arms respond very well to volume lots of reps with various angles. I personally like to do arms twice a week once on a back accessory day and another pure arm day/cardio day.-also do a lot of grip training this day- I like high volume around the 15 rep range really concentrating on muscle contraction and strict technique-yet still as heavy as I can go- I feel experimenting with lots of arm exercises is the best way go get growth. Don't neglect pull ups either I feel this is one of the best exercises for both arm wrestling and arm size/strength. Also consider that you might actually have big arms yet hold more bodyfat/water and can't see the muscle you have so could consider tweaking your diet.

I've never seen an arm wrestler curl as much as a strongman competitor, plus the ability to carry 450 lbs. in each hand isn't too bad either.

That's subjective though, I consider Magnus a strongman first.

Edited by MagnusScotsman51

This is an example of an exercise that many armwrestlers are good at. It's a specific type of arm strength. I don't think there are any strongman competitors who can do this lift with this weight.

This is an example of an exercise that many armwrestlers are good at. It's a specific type of arm strength. I don't think there are any strongman competitors who can do this lift with this weight.

I totally agree with Eric here!

I also believe the original question leaves too many questions to be answered before attempting to accurately answer

"Do AW'ers have the strongest arms in the world?"

Strongest arms at what type movement(s)? would be a better question in my estimation.

well in my opinion yes they have the strongest wrist and forearms tendons in the world and arms in generally i don't think professional strongman can beat professional arm wrestler in arm wrestling anyway the have very strong tendons and like alexander zass say...

Edited by Rampage jackson

watch this video if you know russien im try translate this denis cyplinkov talks about tendons for armwrestlers very intersting he say my trainer every time check the tendons of people that come to armwretstling and when someone bigger lose he say hes tendons little thicker than yours this why you lose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzP2vi6nCzM