Refusal Of Others To Listen To Advice

xvx

When introducing people to grip, be it with grippers, bending, or anything else, its seems like nobody will ever listen to advice on how to perform the feat.

I'll spend a few minutes explaining crushing strength, showing the gripper placement and everything and then they'll just nod and completely ignore what I said. I explain again even if I can get them to listen they just say they don't like doing it that way, at which point I usually say it takes some practice.

Same thing with bending, they'll hold the bar at waist level and not use their arms, almost as if trying to snap a pencil.

Anyways, I figured this was probably pretty common, but does anybody else have any frustrations with this?

I have frustrations about getting people into grip. But then again, I think that comes with the game...

When introducing people to grip, be it with grippers, bending, or anything else, its seems like nobody will ever listen to advice on how to perform the feat.

I'll spend a few minutes explaining crushing strength, showing the gripper placement and everything and then they'll just nod and completely ignore what I said. I explain again even if I can get them to listen they just say they don't like doing it that way, at which point I usually say it takes some practice.

Same thing with bending, they'll hold the bar at waist level and not use their arms, almost as if trying to snap a pencil.

Anyways, I figured this was probably pretty common, but does anybody else have any frustrations with this?

I know the feeling. For the few I've taught how to use grippers, they don't take into account their using smaller muscles than the bigger ones used in deadlifts or squats. Before they have even set the gripper I will correct how it's placed if it's off. I'm only guessing they want to attempt the close the way it feels good for them. Right now I have a woman who is interested in learning how to improve her grip, she's never performed any type of grip strength training before, she mashed my Trainer a few days ago, and she's the only one who's performed the best on grippers I've shown how to do this stuff too.

The problem is that the best position for gripper placement is not natural feeling at all. I think every one has to practice a bunch to learn how to keep the gripper in the palm properly. People with not much meat on the palm seem to have a harder time too.

The problem is that the best position for gripper placement is not natural feeling at all. I think every one has to practice a bunch to learn how to keep the gripper in the palm properly. People with not much meat on the palm seem to have a harder time too.

Yeah that's definitely what I've noticed. I guess it's also a matter of really wanting to work on grip too, some people might be a little curious and not too invested in it. I know when I learned how to set the gripper it definitely felt weird, but I knew it was the right way so I worked on it.

Are the people your showing grip too interested in weight training or other physical activities-climbing,mma,arm wrestling ect- where they use their hands? If your trying to show a coworker who has never been into a gym I could see how they could not be engaged with grip training. I find people interested in my various girp toys use their hands and like physical competition.

Ditto on what's said above. I've tried showing my brother how to properly set a gripper and he didn't seem too bothered. It's only when he started to show a little more interest in grip that he searched for himself and found out how to set it. It's just something you need to be generally interested in and something you want, otherwise people tend to close them in whichever position feels most comfortable and natural to them, rather than the position which provides the best leverage.

It's been my experience that if you demonstrate first the advantage of what you're

trying to show them that they tend to take heed in what you're saying/showing.

For example, when showing others the anatomical advantages in using a grip dynamometer

they really start paying attention to exactly what you show them once they see the difference in numbers.

With grippers, try first showing them how much weaker you are when squeezing the gripper as they do.

Then demonstrate the difference. As Rich mentioned, don't expect them to get it right off. This is a new

motor pattern they have not fired enough times to become comfortable with. Believe me, when you're

not around they're trying what you suggested.

If you can contrast the differences in anything you're trying to teach it seems to be a more effective

teaching tool IMO.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Some of the people I have showed have been into physical fitness/competition and others not so much. There is usually more of a willingness to try using better form from the former, but not always.

Joe, thanks for your response. I do always make sure to show as well as verbally explain why I do something in a particular way, but I can't say that I have made a point to show how much weaker the close is in a more "natural" feeling position.

If you can contrast the differences in anything you're trying to teach it seems to be a more effective

teaching tool IMO.

This is great advice.

I guess ultimately it comes down to each individuals personality and whether or not they are interested in grip.

Edited by xvx

I tried to show a friend my grippers and he just started squeezing out mini partial reps, not making the handles touch. I told him the point was the to make the handles touch. I showed him but he didn't really care and would just squeeze/release squeeze/release not even making the handles go to parallel. I kind of wonder if he wasn't afraid of not being able to do it so he didn't try. I'm sure he could have closed the Trainer at least but he preferred the rapid squeeze release with no handle touch. Meh, whatever.

• Like 1