Bending Beginner

Dan Cenidoza

Thanks to Bender's site (cool site BTW) I have been motivated to give nail bending a go. I've never tried before so I don't know where to start. I'm off to Home Depot today to pick up some things, so can someone recommend what to start off with and what to shoot for?

Also, any tips on technique would be appreciated. I plan on giving them all a go to see what works best for me. Thanks!

Buy some 3/16" HRS and 1/4" HRS and a pair of bolt cutters. Most people can bend a 7"x3/16" piece of HRS right away. When you can bend 5"x3/16" HRS start in on the 1/4" stock. When you can easily bend 6"x1/4" HRS, I would try some 60p nails.

As for technique, try them all, and see which works best for you. I favor the "spike bending" style. Just go slow and avoid injury! Bending can be very intense.

Robert

"As for technique, try them all, and see which works best for you. Just go slow and avoid injury!"

Reread that quote, memorize it, and never forget it. If you want to start bending, keep experimenting and go slow. You'll get pretty excited after you start to progress, and the desire is to bend bigger, harder, and shorter nails every day. There is no rush, take your time, as injuries can happen and they are severe. Go slow, and have fun.

I just finished reading your site bender and realized you had already answered my question. Thanks again!

Does home depot sell HRS like that?

HRS comes in 3' and 4' sections at Home Depot. It's about 2-4 dolalrs a rod, depending on length, size, and zinc coating.

Cool. We just happened to have some 1/4" stainless here at work. I cut a few 10" pieces off and went at it. I did not succeed. It bent a little, nothing past 5-10 degrees. I'll be picking up some 3/16" later today. :)

The techniques of bending a 10" piece of HRS and 6" piece are VERY different. Try to always stay below 7", unless you have some HUGE hands.

What constitutes as huge hands? I'm 8.3" in length, 3.7" in width with a 9.5" span.

Dan,

It really depends upon your technique. I think that the "spike bending" style works well with longer pieces of steel (7" ) and not so well with short pieces. I think the style Eric is using would work better with shorter pieces. Once you try some bends you will see which styles and lengths you favor.

Robert

Ok, how often should you bend? My hands can't tolerate a lot right now, but I'm sure they'll toughen up. Do you guys bend everyday? Do your hands still get sore?

Hand soreness... Soft tissue discomfort is good, as it means you will have tougher hands the next day. Pain is bad. Joint pain is worse.

For frequency, listen to your body. If you bend one day, and feel fine the next, bend again. But, if you start to notice joint pain or persistant soft-tissue pain, take a few days off. Some people bend once a week. It all depends on how you bend and how you feel, and if you have other grip goals. That is, max effort #4 negatives and bending in the same work-out just may be a bad idea.

I'm a big fan of frequent bending with easier steel, to toughen the hands and learn form, then with a max attempt day once a week. That's just me... Find what works for you body and your goals. You'll figure it out quick enough.