Toughening The Skin

Dan Cenidoza

It seems to be that my skin is the limiting factor when I train certain exercises. I'm looking for some ways to toughen it up, anybody got any ideas?

I've heard that soaking them in salt water will help, but what about lotion? Do you think lotion would work against me or possibly help repair the torn tissue after a workout?

Dan,

You don't want your skin dry and therefore easy to tear. You want it supple so that it adheres to the surface, and you get a large surface area of contact.

Lotion, and removal of callouses is the way to go.

Of course this is unless you are a bare-handed nail bender where tough skin would be useful.

Also your girlfriend wont like you having rough hands!

David

David is very right. If you go out of your way to toughen your hands, you'll regret it later. Just keep training like you are, keep callouses at bay, and your hands will toughen to suit your training.

Dan,

When I first started working with kurled grippers my hands were quite sore and they occasionally get sore after a heavy session. Your hands will toughen up eventually just remember each time you up the intensity you have to go through the hand conditioning all over again. ie. when I first started all I had was the trainer and eventually my hand got used to it but when I started using the #1 it was almost like starting over as far as skin soreness was concerned.

Jon@han

Actually, it's not the grippers that bother me [anymore] and I did try taping them but that seemed to make it harder to close. It's thick bar work that's getting to me now. I think I left some flesh in my knurling last night. :dry

Dan-

Get those hands tough! The thick bar in the contest will have no knurling-it is smooth as a babies butt! However-the farmers have knurling and are SHARP as hell.

Rick Walker :rock

Guest mikebyoung

let your hands build their toughness over time. Keep them moisturized. Drying them out,like with salt water, will only lead to cracking and splitting...that takes much longer to heal than a blister or two.

...by the way,David...my girl LOVES my tough hands....lol.