What Exercise Added The Most Mass To Your Forearm?

offermann

I know this is a pretty general question to ask, and I don't expect near perfect answers, but I am just curious. I'm 18 years old and at a point I had been very involved with grip training, but for now I really have no aspirations to strive for past closing the CoC2 which I am a few millimeters away from. The problem I've had is that my forearms are absolutely tiny. I wouldn't be suprised if they were 11 inches around. Of course, my grip is nowhere near the strength of most of you guys, but I think I can say it is well above that of the average man but my forearms are plain small. I've got an amazing pump/burn using a wrist roller but what would you guys suggest for just building a bigger forearm? Thanks so much, you guys are amazing and I've learned a lot from you.

Barbell wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Rep range 5-10.

Check out Mighty Joe's quest for 14" Forearms he has a well thought out program for blowing up the forearms!

for me it has been thick wrist roller work in a squat cage for high reps

Though recently using manus fat grips nearly everyday in the gym has been having great results

Just some things to think about here:

1) The absolute fastest way to add mass to any muscle group is through weight gain.

There's a direct relationship between the two. BTW, the FDA includes water retention

as lean body mass. Notice, I did not say lean muscle mass. This is how supplement companies get

away with claiming that by using product X you will gain 15 lbs. of lean body mass in 30 days!

2) Anytime CSA (cross-sectional area) of muscle fibers are increased, muscle mass increases. To achieve CSA increase one must either have good genetics to begin with, experiment with chemicals, or restructure the muscle fibers through consistent and progressive overload of said fibers to the point that there's sufficient recovery between sessions of overload. Hypertrophy through flushing (pumping the muscles up) is only temporary.

In a nutshell, true muscle mass takes time and consistent effort applied systematically based on the individuals

desired outcome.

The above is just some quick thoughts and by no means an exhaustive reply. Details would take hours to type and list here.

If you're already working on a good strength & conditioning program, jettison the wrist straps if you happen to be using them. If you don't have a strength program going right now, consider one. There is an anabolic effect from working big muscle groups, that can't be replicated by just focusing on a smaller muscle group. My $0.02. Others will have more to say I'm sure.

If you're already working on a good strength & conditioning program, jettison the wrist straps if you happen to be using them. If you don't have a strength program going right now, consider one. There is an anabolic effect from working big muscle groups, that can't be replicated by just focusing on a smaller muscle group. My $0.02. Others will have more to say I'm sure.

Quoted from above, "There is an anabolic effect from working big muscle groups,"

This is true and a very good point!

Remember OP don't over work it and get plenty of rest and it will come in time! best of luck

Spinach

for a reason i cannot quite pinpoint right now, this seems to make the most sense. squeeze cans of spinach open then eat it all in one gulp.

• Like 1

Spinach

Don't forget without the spinach you can't nick name yourself "Popeye"!

LOL!!!

Gain weight. Think in terms of years. Start a program like Wendler's 5/3/1 and you can be quite strong by your early 20's.

Generally speaking small guys have small forearms - bigger guys have bigger forearms - and great big guys have great big forearms. With this logic probably something like 20 rep squats and lots of calories will make for bigger forearms. Your body seems to have almost a "protectionist" attitude towards allowing one muscle group getting too big in relation to its other parts.

Guest Squat More

Gain weight. Think in terms of years. Start a program like Wendler's 5/3/1 and you can be quite strong by your early 20's.

This!

I'd suggest the full body training template laid out in the second edition of 5/3/1, it also has you squatting in every workout which isn't a bad thing.

Generally speaking small guys have small forearms - bigger guys have bigger forearms - and great big guys have great big forearms. With this logic probably something like 20 rep squats and lots of calories will make for bigger forearms. Your body seems to have almost a "protectionist" attitude towards allowing one muscle group getting too big in relation to its other parts.

I couldn't agree more. The body seems to keep itself in balance very well.

i agree that putting on weight overall, and doing compound lifts help. but i dont think its necessary. look at this guy.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/matthias-schlitte-the-real-life-popeye.html

he hasnt been photoshopped and is a genuine person, which im sure some of you have seen.

theres also a guy called Will Sarty aka armbender who has a workout log on the Bodybuilding.com forum. he has 13.5" forearms and weighs in at 130lbs.. that speaks for itself. i think they are impressive numbers for such a little guy.

some pics:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/12/15/143383/progresspic/1xgjtOSi2ATAkR10dJWR03MA84X51326.jpeg

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/12/15/143383/progresspic/12jHPuLVVyhuOMbgUK66v3oWBjQRcb351.jpeg

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2007/08/28/143383/gallerypic/1032711e.jpg

im sure OP isnt looking to get 18" + plus forearms, so with commitment, patience and a good training program im sure he could get where he wants to be without doing an overall body routine.

first guy looks like he could have injected his arm with synthol since it looks very strange

The other guy might be short but seen climbers/gymnasts who are smaller have big arms/forearms also. I think the point is the fastest way to get bigger in general will require eating a lot and heavy training.

I also question how many people measure their forearms if they are doing it the way might joe expalins I doubt that 2nd guy has 13.5 inch foearms. They look great since he is in fantastic condition and showing a favorable angle in good lighting. Its easy to exagerate numbers online. If he is 130lbs my guess is he is short and probably not measuring his foaerm correctly.

"I found it interesting that when asked that Terry said the largest forearm measurement he has

ever witnessed was that of Bill Kazmier at exactly 17".. David Willoughby measured Kaz's forearm with the above

procedure at the 1st World's Strongest Man Contest."

http://www.gripboard...pic=38714&st=20

Bill was well over 300lbs also.

Edited by yummy

I doubt Will would have exaggerated his forearm measurement, however I also don't think it was measured in the way Joe explained.

As for Matthias, the size of his arm is due to a genetic anomaly.

first guy looks like he could have injected his arm with synthol since it looks very strange

The other guy might be short but seen climbers/gymnasts who are smaller have big arms/forearms also. I think the point is the fastest way to get bigger in general will require eating a lot and heavy training.

I also question how many people measure their forearms if they are doing it the way might joe expalins I doubt that 2nd guy has 13.5 inch foearms. They look great since he is in fantastic condition and showing a favorable angle in good lighting. Its easy to exagerate numbers online. If he is 130lbs my guess is he is short and probably not measuring his foaerm correctly.

"I found it interesting that when asked that Terry said the largest forearm measurement he has

ever witnessed was that of Bill Kazmier at exactly 17".. David Willoughby measured Kaz's forearm with the above

procedure at the 1st World's Strongest Man Contest."

http://www.gripboard...pic=38714&st=20

Bill was well over 300lbs also.

ye i agree, props to will, hes in good shape. i think he is short aswell as it goes. im guessing he took his measurement cold, but flexed and tensing while taking the measurement. thats what i normally do.

but that mathias character.. dunno what he was thinking. looks a right mess with one club of a forearm. his life, his choice i suppose.

You guys, the first guy with the one huge arm...that's a birth defect not the product of obsessing over the size of one arm.that wasn't a life choice execpet for the fact he rolled with the punches of life and decided to use the "gift" for arm wrestling. Don't use that scenario or pic as an example, nor judge why he looks that way!

didnt realise it was a birth defect.. genuinely thought it was from training for armwrestling, otherwise i wouldnt have mentioned it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest barbell wrist curls for size, throw pull-ups in either after or before the curls, in the same workout session.

I did no forearm specific work for nearly 3 years, but did a very heavy powerlifting routine in that time and though I got far bigger everywhere, my forearms grew the least. My buddy who did nearly the identical program with me the entire time went from having 12 inch forearms to nearly 15 inch monsters.

I'm a 5 10 mesomorph and he's a 6 3 endomorph. I put on nearly 60 pounds in that time and he actually lost 20 pounds over that time, but at the end I weighed in at around 238 and he was nearly 290.

Another friend of mine started working in a warehouse about 2 years ago..we now call him gorilla hands, because well, his hands are freakin' huge compared to how big they used to be. One of his tasks involves slamming a...something off of another a thing it's attached to and together they weigh close to 95-100 pounds. He's definitely an ectomorph(or whatever the skinny bodyweight is) and is 6 2 at about 175lbs, yet his forearms are about an inch smaller than my larger friend's. The only workout he does outside of work is drinking and P90X.

So while you could be like my friend, you could also be like me and not have the big mass building exercises do almost anything for your arm size....so I'd suggest adding in exercises specifically for your lower arms on top of anything you do for fitness. Either route you go, it will take a long time to build up lasting results, but when you finally get where you want to be, you'll be glad you started today instead of tomorrow.

I know this is a pretty general question to ask, and I don't expect near perfect answers, but I am just curious. I'm 18 years old and at a point I had been very involved with grip training, but for now I really have no aspirations to strive for past closing the CoC2 which I am a few millimeters away from. The problem I've had is that my forearms are absolutely tiny. I wouldn't be suprised if they were 11 inches around. Of course, my grip is nowhere near the strength of most of you guys, but I think I can say it is well above that of the average man but my forearms are plain small. I've got an amazing pump/burn using a wrist roller but what would you guys suggest for just building a bigger forearm? Thanks so much, you guys are amazing and I've learned a lot from you.

...........I would hit your wrists/forearms with leverage bar work off the knee, standing and behind the back, all for one set each. Then a thinck bar, high rep set of behind the back wrist curls, doing it until you fail and finishing it up with a think bar wrist roller. Assuming you are doing deadlifts, squatting and eating, your forearms will grow.