Contest Update!

Rick Walker

This is looking to be a done deal-having put this up yesterday I have about 7 certains-5 more to go and we are golden!

Prizes:

$150 for clean and press of Thomas Inch Replica

$100 #4 to the first man to mash it under strict rules

$50 for a full deadlift of the 50-pounds Blob

$25 to successful closers of my Beef Builder Super Elite

and now-

$100 to anyone who can bend the Ironmind Red Nail into a "U" without bracing of any kind. I have 3-so 3 people get a chance at $100.

Other prizes:

Robert B. has agreed to donate 3 of his grippers-Ips of 240, 260, and 300. I am having the date and the name of the contest stamped into the bottoms. These will go to 1st place along with some other cool stuff.

I am also in contact with other companies and working out deals for other things.

1-3rd will recieve trophies as well as equipment. 4-6 will get special T-shirts.

Bender53 and Heaven Bent Ministries has agreed to buy the Pig so we have some great eats! Others have offered money donations.

COME ONE GUYS!!! LETS GET IT ON!!

Rick Walker :rock

9 VERY interested/certain now. This includes saved spots for those who requested.

The 1st Annual West/Central PA Battle for Grip Supremacy.

My step-son, the artist, is designing the t-shirts.

I'm currently accepting donations to fund my trip to Rick's meet :yikes Man I'd love to go. But good luck to all you guys who do go. It sounds as if it's gonna be a lot of fun!

Rick

Its all coming together nicely :cool ,Who ever wins the custom grippers will not be disappionted

Could be one of the greatest grip battles ever :rock

THIS JUST IN!!!!

John from Fat Bastard Barbell Company has agreed to donate:

1-3" loadable handle

some t-shirts

and a wrist roller or 2.

AND-he wants to stay active in this if it turns into a yearly thing!

WOW! THis is what I am talking about guys.

YOU WILL BE MISSING ONE HECK OF AN EVENT!!!

From Philly?

Let me check....Mapquest says 5 hours. Of course-they always give the time if you travel 65. :D

Would love to have you-spots are filling though and there is going to be some fierce battles if some of the maybes show!

Rick,

Have you thought of a door prize- limited to the

competitors?

It could be funded by grib board members who want

your contest to succeed. I will contribute if this idea

appeals to you.

Depending on the amount donated, an Inch replica

is not out of the question. 40 board members at

$10 each, the bell could be shipped to you and awarded

that day. Just a thought.

GREAT IDEA ROARK!!! That would surely get people interested! Lets get the ball rolling-

Rick,

OK, I know I may be coming to the contest. But I'll pledge $10 for the prize money, and if I don't come it'll still be there for others. Tell me how you want it.

David

Rick,

Okay, I'll pledge $50 toward my door prize idea. I cannot

be there, but I'll support you in this way. We have been talking about a competition, but you have taken steps

toward doing something- thank you.

Depending on how much money comes in, you can

determine what door prize can be afforded- your choice.

Joe

OK Rick, count me in! What are the contested lifts again? And at what time will the contest begin? Count me in for the donation as well.

Guest Chris Mellen

This may be long, so folks, please bear with me.

I propose that this contest be shifted from a Grip to a Grip & Dead Lift contest. Here is why:

1. More competitors. My grip sucks (compared to most people on this board), but I can dead maybe a fourth of a ton, so myself and my girlfriend (who can do a double bodyweight dead) would be much more inclined to attend and contribute if deads were added.

2. What exercise relies more on grip than dead lifts? When squatting, you can lost form and push with your back. With bench, you can have weak lats but strong triceps and still make the lift. With deads, your grip slips--you fail.

3. More sponsorship: Rick is a certified COC, as well as others that are going to be there. He is near elite status as a PLer, too. I'm a class two lifter (boo hoo!). Other PLers with elevated status would most likely enjoy such a test of strength as well... Tell me Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Dr. Squat, etc. wouldn't be interested for the exposure. With Rick's dedication to Westside Powerlifting, I bet you they would!

4. As soon as I clear it, I could begin writing grant proposals for this event. (Even if it doesn't clear, I will probably do it anyway.) I am a decent writer, and I have experience. (I just got three grand for an AED for my college's fitness center.) Even if they do not donate money, such companies as Ironmind and Elite FTS would probably be willing to contribute prizes in the form of equipment.

5. Grip Supremacy is unique, but have any of you ever seen a PL competition with just deads? I've seen bench and squat, but never deads exclusively. (This could be due to ignorance, so don't quote me on this.)

This is my idea. I would zealously contribute to it if people agreed.

I'm going to pitch the idea on some strength forums to see what people think. (Nothing definitive, of course.)

If you (Rick) or anyone else would be interested in this, please let me know. (Post here.)

--Chris :yikes

Guest Chris Mellen

BTW: May I suggest some events for people not so strong on grip? Examples:

1. T gripper hold (for women, possibly?)

2. #1 gripper hold.

3. #2 gripper hold. (Could also be mixed up with an BTR overcrush.)

Things like that. Just my thoughts.

--Chris

Rick, no I am not from Philly. But Philly is about 2 - 2½ hours from me here in northern VA.

If I attend it won't be to compete. I am focused only on crushing strength at the moment and wouldn't do much but clog up the pipes for the other areas. As far as my crush goes, it's strong, but wouldn't be very competitive with most of those who will be attending.

At any rate, it would be fun to attend to meet some other grip junkies.

I have a couple problems with that Chris-

1. This is a grip contest-there are a number of guys who have the strongest hands around that arent that good at deadlifting. They may have an injury, bad back, something. They can do grip feats and pass on the 5th even-and still place high. Putting deads into it makes it non grip related. I alternate my grip on pulls-and I was a good puller before I could ever close the #2! So-the only deads will be the pulling of 300 an arm a few inches to be able to hold it for time.

2. I am limiting this to 12 competitors. I do not want a 15 hour disaster-which is what will happen if I get more than 12. I want some quality competition-I want it to move smoothly and without confusion. This needs to be comfortable to ALL competitors so I can continue to do it year after year.

If it grows in interest and becomes an annual thing-then maybe I will have a 2-day thing and allow more competitors.

3. I am not looking for big time sponsors at all. I am in contact with a number of small, grip related companies and I am offering them the chance to get their products out to the people who are going to be using them and/or buying them. I am not interested in huge companies and the headaches that come with them. Especially Dr. Squat. I am in negotiations with Mr. Tate since he does sell COCs.

4. No-I am not interested in grants. If it grows-then maybe. Would like to one day be able to hand out large cash prizes.

5. PLEASE, PLEASE-do no pitch the idea anywhere else. This is MY contest and is exclusive to gripboard members. I do not want anyone here except GripBoard members and their familys. I REPEAT-DO NOT TAKE THIS TO ANY OTHER FORUM!

6. I have not had any women ask about it yet-but women are free to join if they get one of the 12 spots. However-there will be no divisions and no weight classes. It only confuses things-I want a diffinite overall winner-period.

Thanks for your input-

Guest Chris Mellen

Okay, just ideas.

I put it on Drsquat.com but did not offer any details. It was totally ambiguous and pitched as nothing more than an idea. (I am certainly not trying to take over your contest.) I will nix it right now.

--Chris

Guest Chris Mellen

Rick:

I will not be able to attend, but I will send in a donation. (I will attend next year after becoming a certified COC--pretty optimistic, eh? :D )

--Chris

Rick:

I will not be able to attend, but I will send in a donation. (I will attend next year after becoming a certified COC--pretty optimistic, eh?  :D )

--Chris

Chris, have you already donated to support this site? ;)

Guest Chris Mellen

Wannagrip:

I did grip work this morning (back down week from KTA). I came within about half an inch of closing the #2 (progressing quickly). When I close it, I'll donate $20.

When I close the #3, I'll donate fifty.

Don't fret. I'll close them!!!

Deal?

--Chris