Gazza Grippers

Bill Piche

My fav is the gripper with brass handles, it ROCKS!!

Just an observation.....I'm not sure offering to mess with IM #4 grippers is a smart thing. By showing that you can remove and replace handles, even to just "plate things" you create a situation where there are questions about all #4's. This could make virtually any #4 suspect. Suppose somebody wanted their sweep moved in or the handles moved lower and then went and certified on that gripper?

Based on the quality of work I've seen, Mr. Baraban could perform these changes with little or no evidence of tampering, in my mind a bad precedent. Don't open that Pandora's box.......

Just my $.02, I call it like I see it.

I guess I never picked up on that one. NO ONE should be modifiying existing IM grippers IMO.

Pat and Bill

Good observations,but they would only be remodelled to make them look better,as if i produced a gripper out of my pocket,say a #3 and it was all chromium plated or just the spring,then i could not use it for certification perposes anyways as it has cleary been altered,i think robert means for novelty purposes etc :D

John: yes absolutely right. In fact there are certainly many ways to fake a #3 (or #4) closure. The best way to avoid that is still to get certified, if possible by a witness with top credibility that would be able to test the strength of your gripper and verify that it is a true #3 or #4.

Oooops

Didn,t mean to start up a Hornets nest :blush

A very valid point tho,like somebody once said once a cheat always a cheat :dry

But on the whole i think that the gripboard members no that to get anywere with the grippers requires hard work ,dedication etc :D

Who wants to close a gripper that has been tampered with,you will get found out in the end when you go try the legit one,or someone offers ya one,what an embarassment :blush

Gazza do you have contact info. for Robert so I could ask him a couple questions and then order some grippers.

We've been down this road before! Way back when we used to argue about Kinney and whether or not his close was legit. ANYONE could switch handles on a gripper. It doesn't take any skill to be a fake and sticking your head in the sand won't make these people go away. The only good policy is one of strict certification. Any one of us who has been squeezing grippers for a few years can tell a #4 that is legit without even looking at the end of the handles. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I don't believe that showing you can tamper with a gripper is showing anything that isn't already patently obvious!

Mike M.

"you will get found out in the end when you go try the legit one,or someone offers ya."

Just for the sake of arguement how about this situation: I own three #3s. On one, (not the one I certified with) I have repped 4 times. The second(the one I certified on) I can presently close but its close to my limit right now. On the third (and most recent purchased one) I am about a quarter inch away. Since Im certified, there is a possibility that someone may walk up to me and hand me a number 3 and say close it. If it is the strength of the last one (or greater) and I cant close it they might think I was a fake. (Not that I think anyone would do this but this situation is quite possible.) Is someone only a true Captain of Crush unless he can close all 3s put before him? Discuss...

Good point John.

All cheats get found out iin the end tho,(look at inch,the fiasco with the bell has tarnished his other lifts.)And the cheat only ends up cheatin himself for a hollow victory :D

Not the point of the discussion..but sometimes for fun...I'll hand someone the #3 and watch em squeeze it for awhile and then I'll have the #1 and just crank off a couple of dozen reps and say 'no like this...'...then about 3 minutes later explain what i did...before they get too mad.

This is just a practical joke but it is easy to fool people.One guy (who is quite the arm wrestler) I did this to.I would take the #3 back and then switch it and hand it back to him.Again i let him in on the joke.

However even with just my few weeks of gripper time i think I'd know what i have in my hand -immediately.The springs too are so different visually?

John - Most of us realize that the grippers vary and that people have good and bad days. If you failed by an inch I might wonder, but getting down to a quarter inch or less as an impromptu feat is close enough to not cast doubt on your certification (IMHO). It would be nice to be able to close all #3s at all times but that is not a realistic requirement.

On the other side of things, my brother used to have a #3 that anyone of us would agree was not a legit 3#. It was spongy weak all the way down to about 3/8 inch so if you were a strong #2 closer you could explode it shut without much effort. If this was the only gripper someone bought they would be in a very unfortunate situation at some point. We have a lot of grippers between us so we recognized it as flawed straight out of the bag.

Mike M.

There are "weak" #3's as there are "weak" #2's or "weak" #1's, etc. etc. and we have been down this road before. What's to say one gripper is better or worse than the other? We tried calibration (PDA) and found out that the numbers really don't mean anything. There have been #3's that I could not close... does that make me suspect? :mellow I do know this: the gripper that I certified with was inspected by a man with whom IronMind intrusted, he inspected the gripper carefully, gave everyone in the gym a shot at the gripper, and asked me to close it (which I did several times). Only then did he give me his official "stamp of approval" to send to IronMind. Anyone wishing to be certified by me (if that should ever happen), will undergo the same rigorous procedures - I would NOT accept anything less.