Gripper Techniques

bender

Ever since I recieved the Captains of Crush grippers, I've always tried to close them in different ways as each different position felt like it worked my hand in a unique way. Then I found "the grove" and just closed that way for months. Well, I started playing with my #2 like I did with my Trainer a year ago.

My question is does anyone else work their grippers in a non-ideal way? As in: Closing it with the finger tips, too deep of a seat, with wrists cocked in or out, with no set, with the handle back by the thumb, the classic inverted, and double finger combinations?

I've been doing this for a while and it makes my hands feel STRONG. Not just the "I can kill a gripper" strong, but more of a total hand strength feeling more applicable to other grip feats. I guess it's like doing dynamic pinches and thickbar, but it's a unique feeling that transfers over to grippers greatly.

So, does anyone else train with the grippers in a non-standard way? Or do you feel it does not translate over to max gripper strength?

Yes I have. I have always enjoyed training on the grippers using the inverted style. This style also helped Jim Wylie in his earlier days.

David

Or as Andrew Christie wrote in Iron Grip. Hold a lace or similar tied to the pulldown machine wire. Excellent idea for inverted strapholds.

David

I have tried a couple ways not mentioned here.

1. close the gripper then remove you first finger; this makes the pinkie and ring finger work harder.

2. close a gripper with normal hand position but change your arm's position. For example, if you naturally close a gripper at your waist close it with your hand raised next to your head.

-HH

I too try that second technique, but take it further by trying to rotate the wrist. It puts extreme stress on some tendons and gives my lower are a much fuller soreness after a good work out. Warning though, I do see the posibility of a nasty injury from doing this... :erm:D Just take it slow.

Guest wells

Bender: Last night I tied a 5lb. plate (via a short cord - 3mm width) to the spring of my #1 gripper. Squeezing the grippers in a forward tilt position - top of gripper spring pointed directly forward/handle butts facing backwards (as if cutting wire). Wow! A mix of Hammer Leverage Bar work with a good squeeze to boot. :whacked:pinch

Edited by wells