Another Strength Athlete And Expert

Rick Walker

It has been confirmed that Dr. Mel C. Siff has passed away.

An expert in Strength and Conditioning-his methods and madness have been used by many successful powerlifters and weightlifters all over the world.

He was also the author of one of the best books on the subject of Strength and Conditioning, "Super Training".

Mel, thank you for all you have done-you have helped thousands of lifters reach their full potential. You will be greatly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mel's family.

God Bless Mel-and "Keep the bar loaded!"

Rick Walker :rock

I am not sure of the details. Dave Tate from Elite Fitness/Westside confirmed it-I have heard heart attack but, again, I am not sure.

Very sudden-I had not heard he was sick and actually saw posts of his on the internet Monday.

This is sad news,

to make this thread grip related.....didn't Siff state that he thought extra grip training was unnecessary for athletes? Or was that specifically for weight lifters since the hook grip is used???

Jon@han

:cry I would like to say that Mel Siff has truly been one of the more influential people in my life. Aside from producing the virtual bible on strength training, anyone who has read his works can’t help but be awed by his knowledge, passion, and infected with his contagious sprit of curiosity and improvement. The man honestly has provided an example for me in every aspect of life to strive for my best and, is proof positive of what’s achievable when applying all of ones sprit and mind in the quest for knowledge and accomplishment and utilization of every bit of a humans potential This man has lived a full life many times over, and bettered countless others with his rare gifts. He was extremely accessible to anyone who sought his expertise, and he was not lacking in information to state it mildly. Taken from the phenomenal book “Supertraing “; He was a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical engineering , his major areas of research were in the areas of biomechanics, ergonomics, strength and conditioning, and injury rehabilitation. his master’s degree (Applied Mathematics) was awarded Summa Cum Laude in brain research and his PhD was in physiology…. He has presented papers internationally at conferences in sports science, physiology, physiotherapy, sports medicine, psychology, engineering, ergonomics, physical education, linguistics and communication. I would encourage everyone to look at his group Supertraining located under yahoo groups. It is a great source of information. The world will miss this genius and gentleman! :cry

Thanks for that uber44.

Yes-Super Training is the "Bible" of strength and conditioning and Mel was a genius in that and many other fields.

He WILL be missed-