Brian Shaw 100kg Inch Lift

Paul Savage

Not coming up with paste to get the link but check out the latest voice of strongman tv video on youtube. He does it effortlessly with no tilt (is over 3 minutes in).

Paul

Thanks for the info. How do you know it is really 100kg? Where do you get 100kg inches?

Not sure where it's been purchased from but is legit 100kg by the sounds of it. Terry said he can barely get air and thought it was insane so is proof enough for me.

If it's the 100KG then that's super strong. dare to say the strongest in the world?

True. But in my last oost i meant the world strongest in thick bar lifting.

Not sure how many remember the first time Brian Shaw's name popped up on this forum. A strongman and grip contest in 2005 in New Mexico. Coming out of the chutes at his first contest, he had great grip potential. No question to me that he could be the best grip guy to date if he was so motivated.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=16959

How do we know that Inch is 100kg? There are thousands of Inches all over the globe, but only a handful of larger ones were cast and just about every single larger one is accounted for and it's location known by members of this board.

how big are his hands? I know he is 6'8 and over 400lbs but does he have freak size hands like felix? if he tried he could probably smash the rolling thunder record based on his thick bar strength he has shown.

How do we know that Inch is 100kg? There are thousands of Inches all over the globe, but only a handful of larger ones were cast and just about every single larger one is accounted for and it's location known by members of this board.

The world is a big place, and big bells were being made waaay before the internet and this board. I am just saying that, chances are, there are plenty of big globe dumbbells that we don't know about, hidden in grandpas shed, or in the back 40, or in the attick-ok not the attick but the basement covered with cob webbs, or in the training area of some really, really strong men.

But 100 k sure is an even #. Maybe it is loadable.

Edited by cemery

how big are his hands? I know he is 6'8 and over 400lbs but does he have freak size hands like felix? if he tried he could probably smash the rolling thunder record based on his thick bar strength he has shown.

No rolling thumder and thick bars are two different things. Mark beats Odd and Snook on RT but they beat him in thick bar globes as Mark tried the Mellinuim and couldnt lift it. shaw also showed his power in thick bar when he and Tex and Rich lifting a thick dumbbell by Sorinex and Brian Shaw was the strongest and lifted the dummbell so easily

No rolling thumder and thick bars are two different things. Mark beats Odd and Snook on RT but they beat him in thick bar globes as Mark tried the Mellinuim and couldnt lift it. shaw also showed his power in thick bar when he and Tex and Rich lifting a thick dumbbell by Sorinex and Brian Shaw was the strongest and lifted the dummbell so easily

how is thick bar differen then rolling thunder though I mean its a thick bar implenet where you try to lift the most weight which is pretty similar to thickbar.

They are two different animals. Thick bar globe tends to rotate much more. The strength for that is little different than RT

The world is a big place, and big bells were being made waaay before the internet and this board. I am just saying that, chances are, there are plenty of big globe dumbbells that we don't know about, hidden in grandpas shed, or in the back 40, or in the attick-ok not the attick but the basement covered with cob webbs, or in the training area of some really, really strong men.

No one made cast iron 100kg globed DB's before this board existed.

Unless there have been some very recent RT events in which Mark lifted over 331 pounds, I believe Laine Snook has the best Rolling thunder lift of all time (by quite a bit too... Laine did reps with high 200s and a few at 300) Please correct me if Im not up to date.

Unless there have been some very recent RT events in which Mark lifted over 331 pounds, I believe Laine Snook has the best Rolling thunder lift of all time (by quite a bit too... Laine did reps with high 200s and a few at 300) Please correct me if Im not up to date.

No i mean by the time Laine Snook was lifting thenMellimum Mark was better than him in RT. Its plain and simple, thick dumbbells that are globe needs different strength and RT. I am repeating this few times now.

Edit: that doesnt mean it doesnt have any carryover to the other. Baseline dyno is different than grippers but there are carryovers. Also, if ur first gripper close was the coc one and you just train blobs for two years seriously expect to close the 2.5 or the 3(or at least very close to it).

Edited by Alawadhi

I think the guy who did the video is wrong. It looks like an Inch. At best it might be a Heavy Grip Tool heavyweight bell (one of several differently weighted bells arranged and delivered to Gloucester some time ago) which weighed 97-kilos. I used to have and may still have an image in my gallery of a baby Inch (53kg), an Inch (78kilos) and a (what we termed it) 'queen Inch' at 97-kilos. Then there was my Millennium dumbbell which we know weighs 103-kilos or 228lbs.

Terry owns a pair of so-called 'Circus bells' (shot loadable) and these ARE 100-kilos and have a 2.5-inch thick handle. I've lifted one with one hand as has, as he claims, Terry. I suspect the videoer, nice guy that he is, is confusing that weight with the bell in the video. Indeed these bells were used at London Excel last year which was a Giants Live Qualifier.

I'm suprised at Paul. He knows the story of the bells delivered to Gloucester. Basically a group of guys, including Nick McKinless (orgainiser) and Rob Frampton among others brought a bunch of bells of varying weight from HGT. As I then lived across the road I was in when they were delivered. They came in amassive crate packed into individual crates. The big crate weighed more than the tail-lift of the truck's capacity (500kg). So muggins (me) had to break it open and drag each smaller crate up the side and onto the tail gate. Each of the smaller crates had very little purchase and so I was pulling the bigger bell boxes with my fingertips. I also managed to snag my hand on a nail sticking out and was now bleeding when a driver of a car (it being a narrow road and a big truck) tooted their horn to hurry me up.

I became, to my shame, rarther irate. I jumped off the back of the truck (I weighed 280lbs or so at the time) and marched up and down demanding to know 'which one of you $$$$er's tooted their horn'. No one onwed up. I was already pouring with sweat, now covered in splinters and had blood dripping from the scratch. I loaded the few crates I'd managed to pull out onto a pallet and dragged it into the warehouse yard. I then scooted back for the remainder still in the big crate and allowed the truck to move up the street.

A couple of years later another truck from the same company delivered some stock to us (protein) and asked about 'the guy that chased the drivers who tooted'.

If the dumbbell in that video is 100-kilos then I'm a monkeys uncle.

No i mean by the time Laine Snook was lifting thenMellimum Mark was better than him in RT. Its plain and simple, thick dumbbells that are globe needs different strength and RT. I am repeating this few times now.

Edit: that doesnt mean it doesnt have any carryover to the other. Baseline dyno is different than grippers but there are carryovers. Also, if ur first gripper close was the coc one and you just train blobs for two years seriously expect to close the 2.5 or the 3(or at least very close to it).

I just spent all weekend doing grip stuff at an expo (bodypower at the nec) and had access throughout that time to a baseline dyno (300lbs model). I wrote about it in a blog I do. Here's a copy of the report:

When we were setting up etc on Thursday the guys, Charles and Gary Rinaldi, showed me their Baseline Grip Dynometer (see image). We had a LOT of fund this weekend with it. As well as having visitors to our stand try out their Heavy Grips we got them to test their strength. The little booklet that comes with it suggest that the mean average for all age groups is, in what I assume to be the untrained population, 115lbs or a little over 52kg.

Throughout the three days we had a load of guys, who obviously lift weights, hit 65-kilos or 140lbs. Now I am sure we did not get them to hold it as per how a sports scientist might, nor did we (for the most part) adjust the handles, but 25lbs better than average consistently is a decent enough indicator.

The climbers among the visitors got higher numbers than you'd expect for their relatiovely light bodyweights and also had as good a crush grip number (slow but steady powerful squeeze until then red needle stopped) as they did ballistic (just a snap like pull). Those who did combat got wide differences (weight trainers would get 5-15kg difference, combat athletes 10-30kg spreads). The handful of women that tried also scored (with only one below - but she was a wee lass) above the mean average. Of course we also had some awesome numbers - one was an old mucker of mine from Liverpool who hit numbers very close to mine. We didn't get the chance to test any high level pro strength guys.

I also noticed, just from my own efforts, peaks and troughs through the day. The closer together my efforts and those of others were the worse the drop off. However, my average crush was 100-kilos with lows of 90-kilos and a peak of 120-kilos. My ballistic efforts averaged off the scale (130kilos being the max) with the best going all the way back to zero and a low of 120-kilos. A few visitors were so impressed they videoed these efforts as the needle went so fast. It was even suggested I was using a secret button!!

Much like the arm wrestling tables and boxing machines both guys and yes gals like to test themselves against the big guys and the dyno was a harmless but fun way for them to do so.

Oh I was also present during Mark's recent effort as I was the only other 'pro' lifting with him (I made 118-kilos or 260lbs same as my best sucessful effort last year). I was paid to help organise and judge the amateur event. Mark's lift was NOT, as I thought, 150-kilos, but 147-kilos. While he had already done a 5th and successful in competition (4 lifts + a 5th WR attempt being allowed) which beat his best on that handle (an 2011 model) he was allowed to carry on under contest conditions with Richie Bevan as ref, myself and Les Wiltshire MC as official witnesses to the lifts and scaling of the weights after.

I also managed to be one of the guys who won some money taking part in the Liquid Grip grip challenge and may well be working with Jason, company owner, at later events this year.

Not sure how many remember the first time Brian Shaw's name popped up on this forum. A strongman and grip contest in 2005 in New Mexico. Coming out of the chutes at his first contest, he had great grip potential. No question to me that he could be the best grip guy to date if he was so motivated.

http://www.gripboard...showtopic=16959

Great post link and great reminder of grip monsters of the past like Clay Edgin...If Clay witnessed him doing those grip feats then good enough for me. Clay's insight was something, who knew Brian Shaw would snag the World Strongman title years later. Don't know about the dumbell but obvious grip potential by far :bow

I'm fairly confident my replies have been spot on. You can ask Brian via facebook, contact the VOS (Voice of strongman) guy via youtube, contact Terry via facebook... I can carry on.