My Bending Style

bender

I finally posted my bending photos on the net. For all the people who asked about my style, check out:

http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/bend.html

Also, I have my training and bending techniques on an attached page, let me know what you think.

Bender,

What? No pics of your hottie girlfriend? Oh, that's on the other page. BTW, she has the same last name I do. :blink Think we might be related some way down the line? Makes ya wonder....

Great page on bending nails. Keep up the good work! :D

I have never tried that way before, thanks for the

enlightenment, I will have to give it a go next time

that way :)

Matt

Guest wells

Enjoyed your site. Bending info great.

Makes me want to go out and 'bend'.

I was thinking about bending telephone poles but you have brought me back down to earth so now I will try some wimpy nails first! :tongue

My brothers girl friend, after looking at this page, bent a (180lb) 6" spiral nail last night... :whistel

Bender,

You have cleared up something for me. I have bent Grip rite spirals for some time, but they are not 180 pounds to bend, but more like 250. When I saw you mention that I was perplexed. Even looking at the pictures (which are excellent, BTW) the nail looks thinner than the spirals I have. I went to Lowe’s on Sunday and saw the Grip-Rite hot dipped galvanized spirals in a 30-pound tub sealed tub and eyed them carefully. They look to be the same that I have. Poking around, however, I found a tub of “miscellaneous” nails that I guess fell out of their packages and there was a 6” spiral nail in there that looked different. It seemed just a smidge thinner, and didn’t look like shiny galvanized (it may even be non-galvanized, it’s hard to tell). Anyway, I did a test bend with my bare hands and it was obviously one of the 180 pounders, and I bent it half way and back (well, sort of back, it wasn’t exactly straight when I was done with it). Do you know if your 180-pound nails are Grip Rite or another brand? Are they shiny galvanized? Where did you buy them? I would sure like a big batch of 180-pound nails, they would be excellent for warm-ups and two at a time.

The 30lb tub-o-nails I have of 6" spiral nails are certainly the 180 lbers, definatly not the 250's. I picked them up at Home Depot in a square, white plastic tub. I'll check the brandname tonight, but they are dipped galvanized. And yes, they are perfect for the two-at-a-time bends, as they are my next goal. As of my last try, I only got to 10-degrees.

The photos are of 3/16" HRS, for photo's sake. I bend everything else with a wash-cloth. The bad part about the form I use is the direct thumb-bone to nail contact, and hurts greatly with out padding.

Yes, they can't be the 250's if untrained people are bending them. I've had many people over the years bend Ironmind whites or equivalents, they are around 180. I've never seen anyone untrained bend a 250 pound nail. 180's would be good for me to practice Slim style bends too. I happened to have also checked Home Depot for these nails, and they didn't have them at all (No tubs, no sprials). 3/16" hot rolled steel is like a coat hanger too me :)

Alright you two!!! :angry:

Your bending abilities make me sick :blush:D:bow

I think I am going to experiment with your style Bender-though it looks painful for the thumb?

I cant do Tom's style-it is funky but certainly works for him!

Thanks for all the info guys-and keep bending!

When I decide to make a legit run for the Red-I will be picking both of your brains!

Thanks-

Rick Walker :rock

You put the WHITE at 180? I found it to be near 110 or so... And yes, most humans of any age can bend it. Each time I buy any lot of nails, I bend the first two using the loading-pin technique to get an estimate of weight.

I did teach my best friend how to bend, and he can consistantly bend the BLUE, and did so completely on his first time. He's tall and lanky with long arms and natural muscle tone/tendond strength. Doesn't lift. Works at a desk.

Also these spiral nails are perfect for slim-style bends, as for me, it's just under my slim-style bending strength. It's funny to bend a 300 lb nail using a traditional form, and have people be sort-of-impressed, and then to bend the 180 lb nail slim-style and have them be absolutly shocked. It does look better, for sure.

I am hoping that after my poor hands have recovered from the Ironmind yellow nail breaking efforts, that I will be a little stronger for bending nails. I rarely do it however. I suspect that a broad palm may not be an advantage.

I must also add that technique is very important to bending. I believe that most people who bend on this page could bend a lot more if they could watch a professional bender bend. I didn't take off with my bending until I studied the body mechanics of Tom Black on his page.

My bending went farther, and I conquered the BLUE, after I watched a person bend one of my spiral nails. I learned the technique, and what their body looked like as they bent, and then copied their leverages and mechanics.

A gripper and the philosophy of "the set" is all you need to crush away. Two plates is all you need to pinch, but you can't just pick up a piece of steel and bend it. That's why nail bending appears so impressive, because if you just pick it up and try bending it, even the small ones won't bend. Technique is every thing... :erm

Er, wait, I mean Massive Hand Strength, Wrists of Solid Steel, and UnGodly Chest Power is the ONLY way to bend!!! :whistel

:D

Bender, I'm referring to the "old" Ironmind white at 180-pounds. I keep forgetting that they changed the bars. Rick sent me some pictures, I guess they are now 3/16" and thus quite a bit easier than they were. I'm too cheap to buy a bag for myself, and I don't exactly need them either, I've got a ton of stock built up. 110-pounds would be too easy for me anyways, a waste of money.

Speaking about this change in bars, I once told Dr. Strossen that the green was basically the same as the yellow, and depending on your style I can imagine the old 1/4" x 5" green might seem harder. I think that's one of the reasons he made the change.

Bender, I'm referring to the "old" Ironmind white at 180-pounds. I keep forgetting that they changed the bars. Rick sent me some pictures, I guess they are now 3/16" and thus quite a bit easier than they were. I'm too cheap to buy a bag for myself, and I don't exactly need them either, I've got a ton of stock built up. 110-pounds would be too easy for me anyways, a waste of money.

Speaking about this change in bars, I once told Dr. Strossen that the green was basically the same as the yellow, and depending on your style I can imagine the old 1/4" x 5" green might seem harder. I think that's one of the reasons he made the change.

Tom, I would think that 1/4 X 5 would be more difficult than 1/4 X 7. What was the actual dimension of the older Green nails?

Are you bending again?

Old Ironmind bars- Green 1/4"x5" hot rolled steel, Yellow 1/4"x 7" cold rolled steel. Being cold rolled, of course, the 7" bars should be harder, but at 5" the hot rolled compares well with the longer cold rolled. Strossen mentioned too me that the cold rolled steel was 10-40 colded rolled carbon steel (that was in Sept 1998).

My bending injuries are gone and I do bend occasionally, but I'm focusing on the grippers and sledgehammers now. I'm doing a tough program now on the grippers that I think will finally make me consistent in closing the #3.

It took about two hours to build. Total. I just happened to have a bending sequence, a pile of hand-strength photos, two pics of the little lady with grippers, pages and pages of ramblings on nail bending, and geocities pagebuilder. Too easy. :D

Great site Bender. Have you tried progressing on 5/16" HRS? If you are bending 330lb. you should be ready for some heavier stock than the 1/4"HRS. I don't know about you, but I am not comfortable bending shorter than 6" pieces, so I prefer to progress by bending longer pieces of heavier stock.

Robert

I've half-bent one piece of 7" x 5/16" HRS, and damaged a ligament in the process. 5/16" HRS is a different creature completely, and I've addressed this phenomenon in the FAQ section about the flexability of HRS and CRS. Check it out. Any personal comments about steel flex and bending?

As of now, I took a big step back in bending. I just stick to 60D's and 1/4" HRS down to 5". None of them are real challenges, unless I go for reps. :laugh That's a great work out. I'm waiting a few months before I try 5/16" again. In the meantime, I'm getting close to the #3. I hope to close it by September, when I get promoted to Captain. Yea, then I can be a Captain, captain of crush. :D