Is This An Unflattering Record?

Magnus Gustafsson

Tonight I closed my #3, choked from 34mm. The close was very distinct, margin to spare.

However, I am still 2-3mm from closing the #3 MMS. I seem to recall from prior discussions about choking that people have reported 25-30mm being the magic number where the could also close with MMS. I'm assuming my setting is unusually poor. Anybody else experienced something similar?

Edited by Magnus Gustafsson

It sounds the setting is poor. You're losing energy before the close or not positioning the gripper optimally. Spend more time setting grippers, maybe even daily. Just set tough grippers whenever you have a moment. No need to close it, just set.

It sounds the setting is poor. You're losing energy before the close or not positioning the gripper optimally. Spend more time setting grippers, maybe even daily. Just set tough grippers whenever you have a moment. No need to close it, just set.

Yeah, what he said!

Yeah, what he said!

Yes, what they said

It would be good to have a fixed link to Paul Knights gripper setting video on the GB.

Thanks guys, plenty of confirmation set is the likely problem, heh.

@ RichAZ,

I have viewed Paul's setting video several times (have it bookmarked) and I guess I need to continue to do so and practice until I nail this. Agree the video should be a sticky.

I remember I could close the #3 in choker from about 40mm and still not being able to MMS the very same gripper. I think if you switch focus from choker training to MMS it will fall shortly.

Kör hårt! :D

I remember I could close the #3 in choker from about 40mm and still not being able to MMS the very same gripper. I think if you switch focus from choker training to MMS it will fall shortly.

Kör hårt! :D

So you may be the record holder then, heh.

If I set the choker wider than 35mm the clamp moves all over the place during the close (I have two layer of athletic tape under the clamp). How did you keep it in place?

Daniel, if I wanna get strong and good at setting the #3 to mms, do you think it's better to practice my set on a tougher gripper like an elite or a 3.5 than practicing on a #2?

Daniel, if I wanna get strong and good at setting the #3 to mms, do you think it's better to practice my set on a tougher gripper like an elite or a 3.5 than practicing on a #2?

Def not a #2, I went one level up. A 3.5 was near impossible for me to set to parallel so I worked that, which in turn made me way better on the #3. Elites are not as good to use for set training since the sweep is soft.