Should You Chalk Your Fingers When You Use Grippers?

xpin2winx

I started out my grip training taking advice from lee hayward and he said not to chalk your fingers so they could slide over the gripper easier and only to chalk your palm. He's pretty awesome when it comes to grip strength and overall strength. But i see alot of people chalkin up their whole hands. I just started chalking my hands and it helps with negatives and holds but whats your take on it.

I removed you Fbomb, thanks.

Edited by Bearcat 74
Fbomb
  • Like 1

I have never seen any difference chalking my whole hand vs only the palm with grippers. I chalk my whole hand.

Chalk your whole hand. If you're worried about your fingers binding up on the knurling wrap some electrical tape around the finger side or get some of those gripper sleeves that Gripper Superstore sells.

(null)

I don't use anything, but that's just because i don't have any chalk.

I chalk my entire hand. And the gripper handles if it's a serious workout. I have never seen Lee Hayward described (until now) as "pretty awesome when it comes to grip strength."

• Like 1

I chalk my entire hand. And the gripper handles if it's a serious workout. I have never seen Lee Hayward described (until now) as "pretty awesome when it comes to grip strength."

he can close the hg350 pretty easily and also has a video of him closing the HG400. I think hes sponsored or does some sort of deal with Heavy Grips so he doesnt mention the CoCs. Im assuming he probably could close a 3.5

edit. i should of said gripper/crush strength. not grip strength in general

Edited by xpin2winx

I seem to remember Nathan Holle, who some still consider the finest crusher, advocating chalking only the palm. I'm with Heath and Ben though, I've never seen a difference

I chalk more than just my whole hand. I chalk my face, my feet, and my chest too. You can never be over-prepared.

• Like 5

I chalk more than just my whole hand. I chalk my face, my feet, and my chest too. You can never be over-prepared.

:laugh:bow:laugh

what is the advantage of using chalk?

More friction/less moisture so the gripper doesn't slip in your hand.

My name is Heath and I am a chalkaholic.

Really though. There are advantages and disadvantages to using chalk. Personally, I don't use it in training unless I'm going for a max. It's almost like using knurling vs no knurling ... I personally have found that my skin get irritated a lot faster with using chalk frequently... but then again I have ridiculously dry skin.