Strict Plate Curls With 45 Lbs Full Sized Plates

AdamTGlass

I can now get 5 out of 8 of the brands of 45's I own.

That is extreme! Nice, Adam.

Serious strength!!!

Insane Strength Adam. Well Done :bow

This video demonstration of EXTREME WRIST STRENGTH has motivated me to take a small

time out from my Wall Project and go through some old time strength references to see if this was

done by any of the old time greats. I will also ask my "Iron History Guru" friend, Reuben Weaver to see

what he comes up with also.

A couple of names come to mind but I don't want to say for sure without doing a little looking

first. I have references back to 1910 so that's quite a bit of time to pass and numerous opportunities

to arise.

This would have made Willoughby speechless!

This video demonstration of EXTREME WRIST STRENGTH has motivated me to take a small

time out from my Wall Project and go through some old time strength references to see if this was

done by any of the old time greats. I will also ask my "Iron History Guru" friend, Reuben Weaver to see

what he comes up with also.

A couple of names come to mind but I don't want to say for sure without doing a little looking

first. I have references back to 1910 so that's quite a bit of time to pass and numerous opportunities

to arise.

This would have made Willoughby speechless!

the reference which got me started was in Brookfields first book "Clevio Massimo could curl a 50-lbs weight plate with either hand for ten repetitions" - I wonder what size this plate was? if it was a 50 lbs standard, then I wonder if it would have been the thin ones or the fat stubby ones?

I have seen pics of David Horne & Nick McKinless with a 45. I have seen videos of John Eaton and big Acorn doing it on YT. Looking around I have not found too many others.

World Class!

Did not Arne Persson do a strict plate curl with a 20 kg plate?

EDIT: After a YouTube search, it seems that it was a 15 kg plate curl I remembered.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

I follow the plate curl thing pretty closely and Adam's is the best out there.

jad: how close to truly strict do you feel this is? I have my thoughts but I really like Adam's videos and have massive respect for his truly World Class Strength, so I don't want to say what I'm thinking.

But I agree that it's the best out there!!!

jad: how close to truly strict do you feel this is? I have my thoughts but I really like Adam's videos and have massive respect for his truly World Class Strength, so I don't want to say what I'm thinking.

But I agree that it's the best out there!!!

The last part is not strict but it's head and shoulders above anything else out there right now.

Truly an awesome plate curl! I did not think this was possible on a full size 45# plate. I'm getting a few reps on the smaller diameter 45# plate I have whenever I feel like trying it but still miles away from a full size one. Kudos buddy!

- Aaron

Adam, nice work and progress. Do you feel a more prominent lip helps the feat? Been doing some stuff with my plates lately that makes me lean that way, in that I can put more pressure on it with my thumb to almost help lever it, BUT I am doing it with 25's - nowhere near 45's right now.

How close are you to getting these things standing upright?

Makes my fingers hurt just watching...

Superb strength display here !! I look forward to seeing more of your incredible progress. .. neilkaz ..

I can now get 5 out of 8 of the brands of 45's I own.

Very nice feat Adam, always enjoy your vids. The way you handled that 45 , No words :bow

Well like I said, I certainly agree with jad, it's the absolute BEST video of a 45# plate curl that I have ever seen, and apparently that everyone else has seen too!

Having expressed all the admiration in the world towards this feat.... can I just add I am in slight disagreement in calling this "strict"? This might be the best ever done on video but I think it's not a strict plate curl yet. I see the elbow dropping downwards/forward to finish the movement in almost every rep. Besides that, why the bent torso possition? It's only 45# so the elbow flexors shouldn't be the limiting factor. I can only assume this bent possition makes it easier to get more acceleration on the start, so he can get the plate past parallel very quickly. And a little elbow dropping/moving-forward helps with that too. I guess what I'm trying to say is the bent over possition makes it easier to curl it quickly enough to almost not have it stressing at the hardest point of the lift, which one would argue should be around parallel.

Since Jedd asked this I hope there is no problem in asking this too: how close are you to this while standing straight? And I'll add: without letting your elbow drift forward/downward too much? That would be my idea of a "strict" plate curl but perhaps it's like the CCS of a #4.... something nearly unttainable?

Please Adam if you read this let me be clear once again: it's the best video of a 45# plate curl so far, your strength is World Class for sure and I absolutely love it. But having said all of the above, if this is the best ever then I would say to myself noone has STRICTLY plate curled a 45# yet. But your effort is the best and has my (and many others'!!) respect for sure!! I hope I'm not out of line for expressing my opinion on such a remarkable feat of strength.

First rep is always the worst Rep ...this will go just like the inch thread, you guys know I get good at this stuff fast.

Jedd degree of rim thickness seems to affect the pinch a lot. The grey plate is nearly flat, the black one has a prominent rim and a sharper back end. Before April ends I imagine I'll be able to get all of the various brands I own.

Body position is always relative to displaced mass. "Only" 45 lbs on the elbow flexors is akin to wondering why people have a tough time levering a 20 lbs sledge. Inch pounds at the fulcrum is what you're feeling, not the true weight from the COM.

I was wondering for years if it would be possible to maintain wrist position under that load.this last week was the answer I was seeking. I have a pair of 1/2 thick steel plates that weigh 52.5 lbs. No rim, very slick. Those are the goal now. They are 3/4 longer then the standard 45's I have. Brutal challenge to be certain.

Well if you continue to progress you might be the first to actually "strict" curl one! I'm rooting for you man, your videos are great.

But I have to say I messed around with my 25# and the difference from a standing strict curl and your bent-torso method is huge. Just like in your videos, when bent, the hardest bit are those last few degrees of the curl. While standing strict, when I fail (going for reps) is near parallel... the wrist/fingers finally bend back. But still I'm miles away from that, I guess a good goal for me is a 35#! Heh. Props to you.

First rep is always the worst Rep ...this will go just like the inch thread, you guys know I get good at this stuff fast.

Jedd degree of rim thickness seems to affect the pinch a lot. The grey plate is nearly flat, the black one has a prominent rim and a sharper back end. Before April ends I imagine I'll be able to get all of the various brands I own.

Body position is always relative to displaced mass. "Only" 45 lbs on the elbow flexors is akin to wondering why people have a tough time levering a 20 lbs sledge. Inch pounds at the fulcrum is what you're feeling, not the true weight from the COM.

I was wondering for years if it would be possible to maintain wrist position under that load.this last week was the answer I was seeking. I have a pair of 1/2 thick steel plates that weigh 52.5 lbs. No rim, very slick. Those are the goal now. They are 3/4 longer then the standard 45's I have. Brutal challenge to be certain.

Great to hear you have another goal set Adam, good planning and goal setting, Keep doing what your doing brother :rock

Well if you continue to progress you might be the first to actually "strict" curl one! I'm rooting for you man, your videos are great.

But I have to say I messed around with my 25# and the difference from a standing strict curl and your bent-torso method is huge. Just like in your videos, when bent, the hardest bit are those last few degrees of the curl. While standing strict, when I fail (going for reps) is near parallel... the wrist/fingers finally bend back. But still I'm miles away from that, I guess a good goal for me is a 35#! Heh. Props to you.

If you look back around 2008 you will see I used the same progression for the 35. Before you can do something perfect you first have to be able to do it. For your pc progress you will do better if you forget about "rules of form " and add more reps.

I recall another popular forum in the past dismissing "deep setting" of grippers as a waste of training time. That seems to have panned out in a different way.

Thanks for the tip! Do you by any chance do plate Wrist curls of any kind? Just curious.

Thanks for the tip! Do you by any chance do plate Wrist curls of any kind? Just curious.

yes, extended ROM and table versions of both.

Do you care to tell what weights you're using in these or should I ask via PM instead? I'm curious as to the correlation between the two. I got to thinking that if one does the plate wrist curls perhaps one could get all the benefits of the plate curls and even more? What do you think?

Do you care to tell what weights you're using in these or should I ask via PM instead? I'm curious as to the correlation between the two. I got to thinking that if one does the plate wrist curls perhaps one could get all the benefits of the plate curls and even more? What do you think?

triples to 5's with a long 35 on the table top or singles with the 20kg stubby. For extended range 5-7's with my stubby 15kg or triples with a 35.

I tried the leaned-over version last night after AW practice and I was surprised that it was significantly easier. I just assumed Adam was doing that version to have the strictest possible curl form ( like a concentration plate curl) and figured it would be much harder. That being said, I don't see anybody duplicating his vid anytime soon.