45lb Hub Plate

bwwm

This is kind of a newb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What's the best way people have found to get a 45 with a reasonable hub for hub lifting? Searching Play-it-again sports stores? Or is posting something here in the wanted section the best option?

I can't find good deep dish plates up here and ended up buying a newer plate that has a really good hub from Go-Mango Fitness Equipment. Not to sure if you've got them down there though.

PIA sports was my source. It took a few years to come up with a decent array of hub plates though. The first ones I got with that intention ended up being pretty tough at over 48# with a bit of slope and 4 ribs.

- Aaron

Just keep checking. I think the PAS in Glendale AZ ?? is a good one. I think that is the one were Dave finds some awesome things. (did I get that right D in AZ_)

I've picked up used plates from PIAS, The Sports Exchange, and from Arcadia downtown. However, I wasn't looking for ones for hubbing at the time, so I'll keep looking. I think if I tell the guy at Sports Exchange what I'm looking for, he might be willing to give me a call when one comes in.

Just keep checking. I think the PAS in Glendale AZ ?? is a good one. I think that is the one were Dave finds some awesome things. (did I get that right D in AZ_)

Yes, Dave does find some awesome stuff up there. He is the one that found the rare pair of York 75's that I have.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

I look on craigslist. The last time I needed 6 45s someone had all six for sale. And they were 3 different pairs with different types of hubs. Was a cool find. Not the "best" hub out there but still all doable.

Yes, Dave does find some awesome stuff up there. He is the one that found the rare pair of York 75's that I have.

- Aaron

Do those 75's have hubs? That would be interesting to see if anyone could lift those.

I got lucky at Play It Again....

2 each of 45's and 35's....

2nkj3aw.jpg

2nb6c0y.jpg

@Legendofjd3 - were those their retail plates or used?

@Steve0 - Aaron's 75's don't have much of a hub to grab. They are almost like mill stones.

- Aaron

I dont know if the 75s on ebay will ever sell but someone wants $3000 for their yorks 75 plates listed on ebay.

- Aaron

Do those 75's have hubs? That would be interesting to see if anyone could lift those.

No hubs on these. But I have seen a pic of a Deep dish 75 that a collector found recently on the Ironhistory forum. Not sure it that one was doable by a human, if so it would be a real phenomenal feat.

- Aaron

@Legendofjd3 - were those their retail plates or used?

@Steve0 - Aaron's 75's don't have much of a hub to grab. They are almost like mill stones.

Those were used ones. Although they appeared brand new to me. There was also a set of 25's I passed on. Kinda regret it now.

is that your personal collection or something?

I picked up some used weights from a guy off of craigslist today. The hubs on these 45's are a little larger than what I see on most 45's people hub with, but they will be a good challenge. I can easily do the 25. The 35's need a little cleaning & seasoning, and I'll be able to do them. The 45's will be a good stretch goal for the end of the year.

I wish I could Cannon. Turns out thy're gone. Luckily the owner kept about a dozen of them.

I'll have pics of them up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got one of the 35's about 2 inches off the ground the other day. Once I start getting them reliably, I'll start adding some more weight in the dish. These seem a bit harder than the ones at the AZ grip comp.

Those 2 nice 45s are very nice for hubbing, especialy the Gibson if I can recall.

Got one of the 35's about 2 inches off the ground the other day. Once I start getting them reliably, I'll start adding some more weight in the dish. These seem a bit harder than the ones at the AZ grip comp.

Got any pics??

I've had a hard time trying to adjust the sizes of images to get them to upload to the gallery here. Let me see if I can experiment around with the camera settings again tonight and get it to work.

I've had a hard time trying to adjust the sizes of images to get them to upload to the gallery here. Let me see if I can experiment around with the camera settings again tonight and get it to work.

Go over to tinypic.com. I use that for a lot of my pics. Free and easy to use. Upload to the size you want and then just copy and paste here.

Rather than goof around with the GIMP, I just decided to shoot a vid & link to youtube. Anyways, I measured the hubs - the 35# is about 3 1/4" in diameter, the 45# is 3 3/8". Both are about 1" deep. They have some slant to them as well. This vid just shows them as they are. I don't have the skills/strength yet to actually video tape me hubbing them yet. Obviously, need to clean the grease off the 45# at some point.

http://youtu.be/LF9Mionc8iI