Calibrating Weights

bwwm

I was just wondering what the best way folks go about calibrating weights for certs/comps, etc. ?

I was thinking of taking some of my stuff to the post office late at night, and using the scale on the automated postal center. I figure if I did a few every other week or so, after a few months, I'd have it all cal'd.

ok. Sounds like a plan. Our post office is very quiet after 9PM or so. Thanks for the confirmation.

First batch of weights were successfully cal'd without incident. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The first thing you need to do is check that the scale you are using is accurate and best way to do this is to work backwards: take a calibrated weight, check the scale, and that will tell you whether the scale is accurate. This is how scales are certified—proven weights are used to test the scale and then, for example, the scale can be used to weigh stuff where the accuracy really matters.

To keep all of this straight, it's important to understand that what you are asking about is not calibrating your weights—you are merely weighing them so you know how heavy they really are. Calibrating your weights would mean, for example, taking what is a supposed to be a 20-kg plate and adjusting it until it really is a 20-kg plate.

Back to accurate scales, the electronic scales commonly used for shipping can be very accurate and the quick way to check one is to weigh a couple of calibrated Eleiko plates, for example. If the scale comes up with the same number as the plate, it's accurate and you can believe the numbers it gives you when you weigh your other plates.

The first thing you need to do is check that the scale you are using is accurate and best way to do this is to work backwards: take a calibrated weight, check the scale, and that will tell you whether the scale is accurate. This is how scales are certified—proven weights are used to test the scale and then, for example, the scale can be used to weigh stuff where the accuracy really matters.

To keep all of this straight, it's important to understand that what you are asking about is not calibrating your weights—you are merely weighing them so you know how heavy they really are. Calibrating your weights would mean, for example, taking what is a supposed to be a 20-kg plate and adjusting it until it really is a 20-kg plate.

Back to accurate scales, the electronic scales commonly used for shipping can be very accurate and the quick way to check one is to weigh a couple of calibrated Eleiko plates, for example. If the scale comes up with the same number as the plate, it's accurate and you can believe the numbers it gives you when you weigh your other plates.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Postal scales were calibrated twice a year back when I worked for the Post Office. They would bring in a big box of all sizes of accurate weights (kept in a padded velvet lined box so they never got beat up and perhaps vary) and adjust to match if necessary - they were always right on - they never seemed to need much if any adjustment.

Edited by climber511

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Postal scales were calibrated twice a year back when I worked for the Post Office. They would bring in a big box of all sizes of accurate weights (kept in a padded velvet lined box so they never got beat up and perhaps vary) and adjust to match if necessary - they were always right on - they never seemed to need much if any adjustment.

Yes, those certified/calibrated weights are precious little babies and you can imagine the economic impact if those postal scales were off by much. That's why certifying scales for trade is such a big deal.

For lifting purposes, we have it easy: skip the velvet box, grab a couple of Eleiko competition plates and you are all set to check any scale you want to use.

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly how I do it when I weigh my non-certified plates.

At least in the small town were I live our Post Office will weigh whatever you bring in - within reason of course.

I have been able to weigh things without issue on the APCs at the post offices around here. Did my blobs last week. I think the only thing you can't weigh on an APC is a bar. Unless the post office has 12+ feet ceilings.