How I Have Trained For Ninja Warrior So Far

milktruck

So, as some of you probably have, I have always stopped on the channel when I saw Sasuke, which is now American Ninja Warrior. Sasuke is in trouble as the Japanese company is going through bankruptcy, but the ANW is living on. Anyways last year I saw Americans could compete and had just hit some strength goals I could chill on for a while, so I thought I would dedicate myself to this. It all seemed like fun until I was reminded that the third stage is all grip strength/hanging. The fourth stage is usually a long rope climb with a time limit.

This monstrosity is what has become of one of the later obstacles in the third stage (it used to be straight, level, shorter, and with smaller gaps):

This guy supposedly works at a rock climbing gym and has a replica of the obstacle in his back yard. Two Japanese guys actually cleared it after him.

So yeah, I weigh 210-220 throughout the day, basically what one of those japanese guy would weigh after eating the other one, so this was a show-stopper for me.

My evolution went like this: My first stop was a set of bone crusher grippers rated 100-300 for like 60 bucks (figured low investment to see how it went, I now know they arent "real deal" grippers but progression is progression). I could get the 150 when I got them, and now I can get the 300 for 1-3 on good days. I didnt think this would get me "there" as far as this obstacle, but was good overall.

I then got a 2x2, which is basically the size of the protrusion from the wall, and started hanging on it with bent arms from off of my door pullup bar. The obstacle takes about 20 seconds, so I try to hang for at least that and then do pull ups from standing/dead start because in my mind this translates to dynamic movement. I also have a 1.5" ledge at a park in my apt complex to do this at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7cPVoTQ-M <--first time I succeeded

Then I got eagle loops because they looked so cool. So now my home workout is roughly:

3-5 low rep sets with the BC300

3-5 static holds for time on the 2x2

2-3 sets of 4-6 eagle loop pull ups with the fingertip and first knuckle in the loop

I feel like now that I can support my bodyweight on the 2x2 my training has hit escape velocity and I can train more often without destroying my wrists and feel like I am actually training as opposed to attempting the impossible an failing over and over.

So, I wrote this long post sort of at someone's request and to ask advice of those more knowledgeable than me. WWGBD?

stuff

Here is the 4th guy to clear the whole course, which happened last year (stage 3 starts about 1:30, stage 4 about 8:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nuqh3P4oVk

Edited by milktruck

Well done! Good luck in the ANW. I don't know jack about the ANW training but I have seen the show a few times.

very awesome training

BTW does anyone know how Tommy is doing with his NJ prep? I saw some pretty radical stuff on YT a year or back on his progressions for it.

Thanks man, got a follow up request for info yesterday. Still not officially "cast" for the preliminaries yet but should know soon, since the miami trials are mar 27-29.

Does anyone else have like 3 awesome days for training grip in a row and then have to take the rest of the week off? I feel like it usually goes like this for me. I feel strong and cant help training, sometimes 2x per day, for a little while and then I am completely spent for 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh well it looks like I didnt get a starting time, but I am going to try to walk-on on wednesday. I thought my video had enough reality show personality threads and strength beyond what 99% of them had to offer to get me on.

I think I was hurt by leaving out the agility part and assuming the casting people would see my deep heavy squats and realize i dominate. I will be much more explicit next year and get videos from a meet or something to make it look cool so they appreciate it more than a 1k lb leg pres or some 115lb kid doing 12 pistols.

Heres the entry

http://youtu.be/HH-foYhdWgI

So I ave a backpack full of water and protein bars and a loving lovely gf who will resupply me and I found 4 good books to read so I should be set. Ill let you know when I crush it.

I also tried the salmon ladder for the first time saturday and made it my bitch right off the bat. I do geta kick out of parkour kids gasping at my strength (not so much my grace haha) I am 210-220 dunr the course of a day and everyone else was 50+lbs lighter at least

Your video is pretty cool and props for all the training you are doing and goals you're achieving.

That said, don't you think there is a reason why all other people practising this are 50+lb lighter than you? Have you researched past winners and seen their weight? Just curious. I think once we're talking about the best of the best at any sport, a certain bodytype will always give advantage.

Your video is pretty cool and props for all the training you are doing and goals you're achieving.

That said, don't you think there is a reason why all other people practising this are 50+lb lighter than you? Have you researched past winners and seen their weight? Just curious. I think once we're talking about the best of the best at any sport, a certain bodytype will always give advantage.

I watch Ninja Warrior and have yet to see a bulky guy compete. I would like to see how you do. Good luck on getting in!

Well, unfortunately I did not get a walk on spot. They said "first come first served" but then showed up and picked girls and people in costumes mostly for the few extra spots they had. So, yeah, lol. Maybe next year if I stay interested.

I hear there is a cliffhanger obstacle near my moms place that I get up to every so often that will be my next grip goal. I havent worked my deadlift more than once a month for the last 2 years so I am also gonna try to go from 4 plates to 5. Also been getting really into weighted pull ups and dips.

Edited by milktruck