Rehab For Middle Finger Injury

J.Burns

Hey i am calling for some help from anyone that can give me some advice. I have a injury in my middle finger at the knuckle. It is from trying a gripper to heavy and i cant seem to gain the strength back no matter what i do. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on exercises to help rehab it

Thank you.

Justin Burns

Hot and cold baths for starters. We need more details like how and when it hurts what makes it worse or better.

Welcome back Burns

2 weeks ago roughly and when i go to crush anhything makes it worse. but i can still support grip without anyissue

Don't squeeze any grippers for at least two weeks. Work crushing but with different apparatus, like sponge or wet towel. Just work the movement, not any kind of high intensity efforts. Work the opposite movement pattern as well, focusing on tons of reps, not strength building.

Knuckle closest to the palm (main joint)

If it's primarily on the palm side of that joint, these are trigger finger symptoms even if you're not getting the classic trigger finger catch in the range of motion. You need to rest from the things that aggrivate the symptoms. Rehab would be the same as for trigger finger and Google has plentiful suggestions.

Strangely, I have the exact same injury for almost a week now, and was just browsing searching for this particular issue.

Only hurts when I squeeze grippers, no idea how I got this injury... :unsure I assume from trying to hold closed a higher rank gripper than I can currently crush.

Edited by Apekiller

Justin, I'll try and elaborate on your problem this week if I can.

SUPER BUSY with my Wall project!!!

MORE later...

If it's not at the point you need to go to the Dr., then what Jedd said. What you are really after is increased blood flow to the injured area. Climbing sites are a great resource for rehab. Very light movements that you can do without any pain can be good. Soaks in very cold water can help. DMSO can help. No strength training for the injured area till you're healed up, maybe use the time to work on something else.

My DR told me about this problem: Anything that hurts right away should be stopped right away. If you get pain with grippers right from get-go, it's probably a bad idea to even try and rehab on light grippers. Like Dave mentions, there are many other ways.

thanks alot guys for all your help. it is actually starting to heal up really nicely now and there is almost no pain what so ever in my hand, Cold and hot baths and squeezing a soft dog toy were the helpers in this situation haha... i appreciate it guys thanks!

Same here, I just quit doing grippers.

Ouch...this brings back very painful memories from over 7 years ago when, being a newb barely able to shut a gripper equal to a 1.5,I tried a forced negative with a hard 3 and when it ripped my hand open, I had a severe injury similar to your's in my middle finger where it goes into that knuckle. Mine took a very long time to heal,,ie well over 6 months and even 2.5 years later I could still at times feel a bit of pain. It even hurt to feed myself and brush my hair and teeth after I did this (right hand) so I learned to use my left hand for more things, especially holding the knife to cut meat.

Fortunately you're allready on the mend.and hopefully this will be healed 100% soon. Contrast baths and icing helped me. Squeezing something easy and different than a gripper once I could do it nearly pain free helped get blood flowing in my hand. I could soon do wide pinch training (narrow still hurt) but when I'd set down the block weight the vibration from even a light impact hurt.

I'd work back gradually into gripper training with that hand...ie reps with some very easy gripper and a couple days later a slightly harder one.. If you have any signs of sharp pain like the injury, stop ! Hopefully you'll be ready to safely resume regular hard gripper training in a couple more weeks.

.. neilkaz ..