Tom Black's Ironmen Gallery

mcolella

I just got done reading through the ironmen gallery, and I can't help but wonder, does anyone else have a hard time believing some of those lifts?

Tom, thanks for putting the gallery together, I really enjoyed reading/looking through it. :)

Here are a few that seem hard to believe for me:

----------------

Kate Roberts. Kate could press over head with one hand 180 pounds

This is Herman Gorner. Herman Dead lifted 727.5 pound with one hand to full lockout in 1927

Dinnie Stones, named in his honor. The stones weigh 340 pounds and 445 pounds and each have a 1/2" round bar steel loop mounted on them for tethering horses. Dinnie lifted both stones together and walked 5 or 6 yards

-----------------

Maybe I am just too weak to fathom these performances :(

I ony believe the Dinnie stones lifts. The stones exist to this day for anyone to try. Some have been able to lift one or both of the stones. I like to think that I could too.

I ony believe the Dinnie stones lifts. The stones exist to this day for anyone to try. Some have been able to lift one or both of the stones. I like to think that I could too.

But people trying these types of lifts today are, um... maybe chemically assisted :whistel

Not everyone is. Weights equal to or greter than the combined weight of the dinnies have been lifted by those weighing in at less than 90 kilos with not a super suit in sight.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I am with mcolella. I have a my doubts on ALOTT of the oldtime lifts.

After all History is HIS-STORY ! And the more times some stories are told, the better they get.

Yes I used to believe it all- but now i have my doubts.

We've been down the road before but where are all the pics of the lifts?

They sure didn't mind being photographed posing in dorky outfits.Lots of muscle shots.

Even Anderson who was fairly 'modern'strongman and certainly WAS very strong (and of his legitimate HUGE lifts there ARE photographs)somehow got his story twisted around and some details apparently incorrect...And Thomas Inch..??

Mcolella..pay 10 bucks so you can get into the History section of Cyberpump...it will open your EYES :stuart

Most of the weights mentioned in the Gallery are from "definitive" sources such as "The Super Athletes" by Willoughby. There was a time that I didn't question the feats, but now I do. I still respect the athletes in the Gallery, all have their points to admire. I was the one who started the thread about the lack of pictures of their lifts compared to the many pictures of posed shots. Not surprising for people like Cyr in the days when camera shutter speeds were really slow, but questionable after around 1900. That’s why Arthur Saxon impresses me more than many others, the famous bent press pictures look to be studio shots and seem to be some of the earliest pictures of a great feat of strength.

I think the Kate Roberts press may have been more like a bent or a push press, certainly not a strict press. On the Dinnie Stones, absolutely no doubt that it was done. In fact, there’s a picture on page 90 of “Developing Grip Strength” by Gentle and Webster of Jack Shanks lifting 462.2-pounds right and 438.5-pounds left (total of 900.7) at a bodyweight of only 174.5. The lift was done with rings that look similar to the rings on the Dinnie stones. The caption says that the lift was “Officially refereed,” and in fact you can see a beam scale off to the side in the picture, undoubtedly for weighting the plates after the lift. This lift is considerably more than the weights normally attributed to the stones (apparently they vary with moisture) of 340 and 445 pounds (total of 785-pounds).

I heard that Uni was once taunted to lift a dumbell similar to the millenium. He got enraged and then snatched it overhead. Not possible.

Apollon with the 226 lb Desbonnet bell most assuredly

happened. We will be treating this in our Apollon series in

ironhistory.com.

There are those who do not believe that Apollon lifted his

heavier set of railcar wheels. The name for that group of

people is..uh...ignor...uh...unstudied. :D

Apollon with the 226 lb Desbonnet bell most assuredly

happened. We will be treating this in our Apollon series in

ironhistory.com.

There are those who do not believe that Apollon lifted his

heavier set of railcar wheels. The name for that group of

people is..uh...ignor...uh...unstudied. :D

would you please explain to me what you are talking about? railcar wheels, etc. Thanks.

Respectfully, no, I will not explain it here. It would be

redundant. Explanations can probably be found by using the search function, or, if this type of material interests you, please join us at ironhistory.com, which is part of the mothership, cyberpump. There is a history of the wheels there.

Without wishing to step on Joe's toes regarding his Ironhistory column, I don't think it's possible either. Not as presented, anyway, not on the thick-handled dumbell (and there are reports of it being a barbell, remember??). In my opinion this is where research into dates, witnesses etc can fail. I don't have any factually based counter-arguments here (there's no "gas-venting" hole or the like to be found in this argument) - I can't place anyone anywhere else or the like. - I just don't believe it to be true.

But what do I know?