What Is Good On Rt

Jarrod Riordan

Hi All,

I hit a PR of 70.5kg the other Day on the New Handle Rolling Thunder. I am Training this Once a Week and Hope to hit 80kg by Year end. What are some of You Guy's Pulling on the RT?? What is considered a good Number?

May I ask whether you're counting the handle and attachment into it or just the plates attached? IMHO in RT-contests it is plates only. Anyway, my numbers are just below yours, not worth mentioning, with my left being considerably weaker.

i am not sure how weight is officially calculated. i use a pretty old handle and am not sure how that makes a difference. personally, i am trying to beat the women's world record of about 150 lbs. i don't have the biggest hands so fat bar stuff is interesting. no excuse though, i just need stronger hands. relative to the average lifter and especially the average man, you PR is huge. relative to the board, you'd probably be considered below average and i am a pussy.

• Like 1

Im at 60kg both hands plates only. Definitely noob on this! Id like to make the CTD challenge once, but till now I can make only one out of three disciplines! :)

What's considered "good" is all pretty relative. Good on this board vs good for the average man vs good for a competition etc will all vary a lot. Perhaps what may make things a little easier to measure is with a comparison to grippers. All my comparisons use a credit card set for various grippers in comparison with total pounds on the rolling thunder (total pounds= all plates, the loading in, the RT itself, the clip; everything) Im basing my numbers around the idea that a CCS of a #4 is about equal to 140 kg on the RT. (308 pounds)

#1 coc= roughly 118 pounds (53.5 kg)

#2 coc= roughly 165 pounds (75 kg)

#3 coc= roughly 235 pounds (107.5 kg)

#4 coc= roughly 308 pounds (140 kg)

More roughly:

CCS #1= 110-130 RT

CCS #2= 155-175 RT

CCS #3= 225-245 RT

CCS #4= 300-320 RT

Of course there is no way to know if a #4 ccs is actually as hard as a 140 kg RT lift, and it will of course depend on the person. Overall though you can make a rough guess that with equal training on grippers and RT overall these numbers are approximately equivalent in difficulty. Also, most here will find that the RT numbers seem much harder than the gripper numbers because we have focused and training on grippers so much more than RT. However, big strong men, or those who train a lot of thick bar and no gripper training may find the RT numbers easier. Hope that makes sense and helps.

PS- A reminder for all, the Ironmind Crushed to Dust Certification can be completed by anyone who can:

1- CCS the #2

2- can lift 45# total weight on the hub

3- Lift 200 pounds total weight on the Rolling Thunder.

(All 3 must be performed)

So if you aren't quite ready for the huge #3 CCS, this certification may be a good and fun stepping stone for overall grip strength.

What's considered "good" is all pretty relative. Good on this board vs good for the average man vs good for a competition etc will all vary a lot. Perhaps what may make things a little easier to measure is with a comparison to grippers. All my comparisons use a credit card set for various grippers in comparison with total pounds on the rolling thunder (total pounds= all plates, the loading in, the RT itself, the clip; everything) Im basing my numbers around the idea that a CCS of a #4 is about equal to 140 kg on the RT. (308 pounds)

More roughly:

CCS #1= 110-130 RT

CCS #2= 155-175 RT

CCS #3= 225-245 RT

CCS #4= 300-320 RT

Of course there is no way to know if a #4 ccs is actually as hard as a 140 kg RT lift, and it will of course depend on the person. Overall though you can make a rough guess that with equal training on grippers and RT overall these numbers are approximately equivalent in difficulty. Also, most here will find that the RT numbers seem much harder than the gripper numbers because we have focused and training on grippers so much more than RT. However, big strong men, or those who train a lot of thick bar and no gripper training may find the RT numbers easier. Hope that makes sense and helps.

PS- A reminder for all, the Ironmind Crushed to Dust Certification can be completed by anyone who can:

1- CCS the #2

So if you aren't quite ready for the huge #3 CCS, this certification may be a good and fun stepping stone for overall grip strength.

not sure i am really following you but no one ever accused me of being smart. i will say in my opinion the RT is much different than grippers because of the thumb involvement.

Thank's for the Reply's. When I Calculate My Weight I include the Loading Pin,Clip & Plate's. The same as I would for Griptopz or Any other Lift involving a Bar & Collar's. Up until a Month or 2 I never really Trained RT but have started and I have gone from 63kg Max to 70.5 in around 6 Week's.

More roughly:

CCS #1= 110-130 RT

CCS #2= 155-175 RT

CCS #3= 225-245 RT

CCS #4= 300-320 RT

1- CCS the #2

not sure i am really following you but no one ever accused me of being smart. i will say in my opinion the RT is much different than grippers because of the thumb involvement.

Yes, RT is certainly very different from grippers. Being good at one has hardly any effect on being good at the other (besides maybe you are just a naturally strong person) The whole idea is simply comparing the "difficulty" of the lifts. Being able to do one has no effect on the other- its more just an easy way to know roughly whats good, very good etc because most people can understand that a #2 is good, a #3 is very good and a #4 is phenomenal.

About the only time RT is referred to as just plates only these days is in Medleys. For measuring a max lift, it includes total weight.

I have had many experiences with "regular guys" on the Rolling Thunder. A 50 year old commercial artist a few years back, 5 foot 11, 160 lbs, did not lift weights, pulled 121 lbs first time he touched it. That is my "average man" standard. I have seen a 600 lb deadlifter with 8 inch hands weighing 250 (who could deep set a 3) fail at 150. I saw a 60 year old weak 5 foot 11 inch nonathletic nonexcercising accountant wearing a suit pull 107 the first time he touched it. I got beat in a contest by a generic gym rat, strong, not a "grip guy" though, when he pulled 207.

The darn thing is all over the map, and varies from person to person.

My son's hands are only 7 and a half inches, and he stands 5 foot nine. When he was first training weights, in 2005, in one month, he worked up to 161 in the rolling thunder. Moved away and stopped doing it. In 2008, when he could deadlift about 450 (in 2005 he was doing 350) in the same contest with the accountant, he pulled 147.

To improve on the Rolling Thunder, I am convinced you have to work out with the Rolling Thunder (or the Crusher).

I think that 175 lbs is "respectable", regardless of who you are. If your hands are 7.5 inches or less, 175 is more than respectable, it is very good.

Thanks for all the Answer's :) My Hand's are 8" but I have a Fat Palm which can make it hard to get My Hand around the RT. With Gripper's I Closed a #1.5 first time and almost a #2 and took Me a Few Month's to CCS a #2.5. So for Me Gripper's come easier than RT I think as that is the way My Hand's are Built. Pinch & Hub I also had to work on a lot to Improve. With Griptopz Hub My best Lift at WSH last Year was 16.5kg but it took Me a Few hard Month's of Training and finally got over 20kg on the Hub Earlier this Year.

I have had many experiences with "regular guys" on the Rolling Thunder. A 50 year old commercial artist a few years back, 5 foot 11, 160 lbs, did not lift weights, pulled 121 lbs first time he touched it. That is my "average man" standard. I have seen a 600 lb deadlifter with 8 inch hands weighing 250 (who could deep set a 3) fail at 150. I saw a 60 year old weak 5 foot 11 inch nonathletic nonexcercising accountant wearing a suit pull 107 the first time he touched it. I got beat in a contest by a generic gym rat, strong, not a "grip guy" though, when he pulled 207.

I completely suck at the RT, always have. I have a bunch of different handles and you'd think I'd be good at it, Nope. About the best I've ever done was one time videotaping myself, I put four 45 pound plates on it (old handle), and it came up for a couple of seconds. That was it. I switched hands to see if the other one could do it - wasn't happenin'! I should start training on it again to see where my strength is on it, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if anything remotely interesting happened.

Exactly! Also dynamic vs static hand movement.

I would say that 175 lbs on the RT is very good. The last time I tried I lifted 145 lbs. 10 years ago when I trained RT seriously it was over a 100 lbs more.

I consider 175lbs pretty good too. 200lbs will thin the herd drastically. 220lbs and up is remarkable unless it's a big name or a very long hand.

• Like 1