Olympic Lifting Bars

maidenfan

I recently took a crossfit instructors course and it renewed my interest for oly lifting. I'm also moving and have a little space setup for a platform. I think its time to plunk down some cash for a good bar. I know Chris and Doc both have the Eleiko trainer bar, but I've had others recommend the werksan bar for its unconditional warranty. Pendlay makes a good bar, etc. I'm pretty familiar w/the web information, I'd like to hear from the guys who've owned/used the bars, particularly those that have used several different ones.

Also, I've got some slots reserved w/a local coach. Any particularly good books or videos out there? I had the Jim Schmidt VHS tape from Ironmind (dating myself here), but gave it away years ago.

Hope y'all are training hard.

On a side note: The lead instructor in my Crossfit class was none other than CoC/Mashmonster Kurtis Bowler - cool guy.

I recently took a crossfit instructors course and it renewed my interest for oly lifting. I'm also moving and have a little space setup for a platform. I think its time to plunk down some cash for a good bar. I know Chris and Doc both have the Eleiko trainer bar, but I've had others recommend the werksan bar for its unconditional warranty. Pendlay makes a good bar, etc. I'm pretty familiar w/the web information, I'd like to hear from the guys who've owned/used the bars, particularly those that have used several different ones.

Also, I've got some slots reserved w/a local coach. Any particularly good books or videos out there? I had the Jim Schmidt VHS tape from Ironmind (dating myself here), but gave it away years ago.

Hope y'all are training hard.

On a side note: The lead instructor in my Crossfit class was none other than CoC/Mashmonster Kurtis Bowler - cool guy.

We have a York bar, which is very nice and several Rogue bars.

I believe the York bar is better, not top of the line. The Rogue ones are probably the best ones for the low price. The very best bar we have out of both gyms is still the Texas Power Bars, at 350 they are best made, extremely rugged, and solid combo of whippy and smooth.

I had a Texas Power Bar for several years. Maybe mine was an older model, but it was very stiff and thick. Quality - yes, but I'm interested in one of those real "whippy" type bars. I've never lifted with one, nor done olympic lifting other than self taught - maybe there really isnt much difference?

Went with the new black Eleiko training bar from Rogue Fitness - very anxious to get this thing.

Try and find one of the older York olympic bars without the center knurling. Even if they are rusty, they clean up nice. I found a few of them at local Play it Again Sports for less then $40.

I think you can get this book through IronMind as well, but here is a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0965917924

My understanding is that it is the most comprehensive book on the subject. Arthur "Artie" Drechsler, born in the 1940s, took over running the annual AOBS dinner in 2003 or so.

Also, I believe that Tommy Kono's books are good. He has detailed sketches that he has personally made to illustrate form, etc.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Picked up the new bar today - I hope it feels as good as it looks. The fit and finish is second to none (at least from what I've seen)

Eleiko1.jpg

This is more of an "affordable", if you will, high end bar. Its the exact same thing as the Eleiko training bar w/a black chrome finish and 4 bearings in the sleeve instead of 5. About $200 less than the normal training bar. The only good bar I've owned before was a Texas Power Bar and that knurling was sharp and heavy. This is more like a rough sand paper.

I'll agree...You'll get the most bang for your buck with an Old YORK bar....1500# test and split sleeves.... Been using them for years..... Mine is a mid 1970's bar....I'll probably keep this one for life....

Bobby