Red Nail

Isaiah

Ok. So I just bent the Blue and a 60d nail (one from Home Depot, which I've heard are weak). I wrapped up the Red and gave it a shot. It snickered at me and questioned my man-hood. So, my question is, what are some gap-fillers between the Blue and Red? Of course I do need to post some videos still, to get my technique critiqued, but aside from that what can I do to bridge this gap?

-Isaiah

Edited by Idiedintothe

6" x 1/4 Grade 5 bolt, then 6"x1/4 Grade 8 bolt, then FBBC 7x1/4 Square, then the Red Nail.

- Aaron

• Like 1

6" x 1/4 Grade 5 bolt, then 6"x1/4 Grade 8 bolt, then FBBC 7x1/4 Square, then the Red Nail.

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Looks like I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow. :)

The G8 is close to the red nail. I was told that when you can bend the G8 you are 2 weeks off from the red. It took me 3 weeks which is realy not too far off.

I hate my square stock but it is not the same as FBBC.

What are your wraps? I like FBBC leather myself....

The G8 is close to the red nail. I was told that when you can bend the G8 you are 2 weeks off from the red. It took me 3 weeks which is realy not too far off.

I'm using only the IM pads right now. I'm planning on placing an order to FBBC tomorrow from some wraps and other things. I'm interested to see how the G5 and G8 feel. The blue was not a cake walk for me, but I got it in less than a minute for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using only the IM pads right now. I'm planning on placing an order to FBBC tomorrow from some wraps and other things. I'm interested to see how the G5 and G8 feel. The blue was not a cake walk for me, but I got it in less than a minute for sure.

A 1/4"x6" Grade 5 bolt is goig to be a lot tougher than a IM blue nail but keep at it and soon enough you will be killing the 6" G5's and cutting them shorter and eventually progressing to 1/4" square and 1/4" Grade 8's. If you want a Red bad enough you can do it just stick with it and be patient. For most of us it takes a while to get to that level and you might even think it to be impossible at first but if you put in the time and work you will get there. Good luck to you and just keep bending and having fun as you progress and hit new pr's.

Thanks for the encouragement Richard! I will stick with it and achieve this goal!

I have worked my way up to GR8's on several occasions but cannot budge a red. for me it is the extra length that poses the problem. Any advice, I am going for another run at it starting in April.

Bending is just not all about technique and wrist strength, its a whole body thing, so i recommend overall strength training like deadlift, bench, rows, dips etc.

I recently picked up a Nautilus pullover machine. I do most of my bending DU and I am hoping that the motion of this machine will help with the lower motion of the bend. I have also been doing heavy lat pull downs to the stomach, using a wrapped red nail as a bar. Crazy idea, but who knows.

I have worked my way up to GR8's on several occasions but cannot budge a red. for me it is the extra length that poses the problem. Any advice, I am going for another run at it starting in April.

To get proficient with the 7" length most guys need to bend stuff at least that long. My recommendation would be to bend Yellow nails or equivalent 7x1/4 and progressively tape additional stock to it to increase the steel cross section you are bending. It worked very well for me to get me to the KOAB bar.

Cross sectional area of the Red is 0.0767 square inches. The Yellow is 0.0491 square inches. Possible incremental stock to add to the yellow could be 7x1/8 round, 7x1/8 square, 7x3/16 round, 7x3/16 square.

7x1/8 round area = 0.01227 sq. in.

7x1/8 square area = 0.0156 sq. in.

7x3/16 round area = 0.0276 sq. in.

7x3/16 square area = 0.0352 sq. in.

So possible combos:

7x1/4 + 7x1/8 round = 0.0614 sq. in.

7x1/4 + 7x1/8 square = 0.0647 sq. in.

7x1/4 + 7x1/8 round + 7x1/8 round = 0.0736 sq. in.

7x1/4 + 7x3/16 round = 0.0767 sq. in. Same as red but maybe slightly easier to actually bend.

Hope this helps,

- Aaron

Steve,

Are you going to Paul's thing in April? I so, bring some stock and I can help you with your form, maybe?

Jedd

To get proficient with the 7" length most guys need to bend stuff at least that long. My recommendation would be to bend Yellow nails or equivalent 7x1/4 and progressively tape additional stock to it to increase the steel cross section you are bending. It worked very well for me to get me to the KOAB bar.

Cross sectional area of the Red is 0.0767 square inches. The Yellow is 0.0491 square inches. Possible incremental stock to add to the yellow could be 7x1/8 round, 7x1/8 square, 7x3/16 round, 7x3/16 square.

7x1/8 round area = 0.01227 sq. in.

7x1/8 square area = 0.0156 sq. in.

7x3/16 round area = 0.0276 sq. in.

7x3/16 square area = 0.0352 sq. in.

So possible combos:

7x1/4 + 7x1/8 round = 0.0614 sq. in.

7x1/4 + 7x1/8 square = 0.0647 sq. in.

7x1/4 + 7x1/8 round + 7x1/8 round = 0.0736 sq. in.

7x1/4 + 7x3/16 round = 0.0767 sq. in. Same as red but maybe slightly easier to actually bend.

Hope this helps,

- Aaron

That post right there is rock solid GOLD.

This has given me a lot to think about and work towards. Can't wait for the comp and my FBBC order to come through.

Steve,

Are you going to Paul's thing in April? I so, bring some stock and I can help you with your form, maybe?

Jedd

Don't know about it. What is going on!