Tough Guy

EricMilfeld

After a two hour oral battle, in which the first dentist admitted defeat and called for the help of the other doctor, my last two wisdom teeth are gone. So, I'll apologize now if the brilliance and keen wit of my forthcoming posts suffer. But anyways, being the stoic man of steel that I am, I promptly crumpled up and discarded the prescription for a pain killer. Then my wife insisted I recover the order for Vicadin from the wastebasket. Strangely, I didn't offer much protest. Well, she walks into the pharmacy and hands the wrinkled paper to the girl behind the counter. The girl immediately says to my wife, "Oh, you must be married to a tough guy. I see this all the time. Wives and girlfriends who don't want to hear the whining, coming in to fill prescriptions for their toughguys who don't need pain killers." I took the first pill, of what I'm sure will be many, about an hour ago. But I still don't know why my wife didn't stick up for me, and explain to that girl that she's the wife of a Captain of Crush, and put that whole question of my toughness to rest. So how bout it, anyone else tryin to take their grippin manliness and apply it to the "real world"?

Edited by eric milfeld

As for me no I would rather doctor the pain up when

possible but unfortunantly just about every kind

of prescription drug I have been givin for back pain

that I have or wisdome teeth etc... have done

nothing for me :blink maybe I am immuned to them or

maybe I am just a "Physical Badass" :laugh

Matt

my wife read your post,

said "sounds familiar" and giggled outta the room

I am the opposite-on max effort squat/dead and bench days combined with high rep gripper work have me popping Aleeve like candy.

I enjoy the pain of working out-but when I am laying in bed trying to get to sleep-I dont want those heavy deadlifts or goodmornings coming back and keeping me awake. :blink

Rick Walker :rock

Guest Thammer

Bro,

Get this...I went and had my dental X-rays and they told me I had EXTRA Wisdom teeth....Oh..Joy :ohmy So after I got all 6 removed I was like....where's that pain medicine..any tough guy thoughts got up and left with all my wisdom teeth lol :D

Ben

There are things which make high rep stiff legged deads seem like a back rub in comparison :blink

My dentist was from the old school. He took my wisdom teeth out with novacaine and a pair of pliers. I guess he did a good job, because it didn't hurt too much afterwards. Your dentist must have felt pretty bad for you if he gave you Vicadin.

I know your pain Eric. I tend to see pain as a battle of willpower versus myself. I seldom take pain killers as for some sick reason I see it as being weak. Admittedly this attitude is detrimental. I recently ended up in the ER and got a subsequent week long hospital stay that resulted in surgery due to my ignoring pain. I am now 1 organ short. Ahhh, live and learn. The sobering aspect is the forced layoff from lifting! Oh the torture of it all.

RSW, my dad pretty much had his removed the same way a few years ago. no gas, just a couple of shots of novacaine and the dentist went at it. although, the reason for this is not because my dad is a tough guy, just cheap :D:D

no gas, just a couple of shots of novacaine and the dentist went at it. although, the reason for this is not because my dad is a tough guy, just cheap

I have never used gas when pulling out a tooth.

Is that common practice where you live ? Where I live ( Norway ), you have to tell the dentist that you want gas and not novocaine. The most common practice here is to use novocaine.

Last time I was to the dentist, I had a inflammation in one of my back-teeth. He gave me a shot of novocaine, and started pulling.

Because of the inflammation, the Novocain didn't work to well :pinch and I thought I was going to pass out ! LOL... If I have brought my #3 with me that day, I would have been certified a long time ago :cry:laugh

yeah, it's pretty standard to get knocked out to have your wisdom teeth pulled, but it costs a good deal more. i would almost say skip the gas though, i couldn't move all day, but i had to have the bottom two cut out. don't know how much fun that would be on just novacaine. :unsure

I only received a local anesthetic, as well. My problem has been the fact that my teeth have roots like an oak tree, and my mouth is very crowded. Oral surgeons have had to resort to cutting my jaw muscle, breaking teeth into sections, as well as breaking away bits of my jaw bone :cry:pinch:blink:(

I was unintentionally macho after having my wisdom teeth out. My dentist gave me a prescription for tylennol #3's. The only thing they were good for was bunging me up. I couldn't tell the difference between them and extra strength tylennol. Then years later I'm in a pain conference at work and I learn that a large percentage of the population doesn't have the ability to break codeine down into morphine! So I figure I was one of those unfort. few.

Jon@han

I had mine all cut out when I was 12. They were fitting me for braces and didnt want them getting in the way later on.

I was asleep for the whole thing- :D

My brother, on the other hand, had his pulled. His whole face turned black and blue :tongue

Rick Walker :rock

When I was 18, I had mine tore out, and had gas and novicaine. After the procedure, the doc gave me a bottle of "Roxane", and I waited for the pain to come, but never experienced any discomfort worth a pain killer. A lucky experience, for sure.

On the other hand, I felt so good after the cutting, that I went to the gym at my normal time. Being one of the top 2 strongest guys in high-school, I could bench about 300 at the time. So, I sat down at a bench and began warming up with 135 lbs. Instantly, the weight crashed to my nitrous-weakened-chest and I needed help racking it. :blush I left imediatly, hopeing nobody saw.

The tooth removal was painless, but the emotional injury really hurt. :D

Not that it would be fair but?perhaps an interesting thought?

Has anyone(who just happened to have a good pain med script. for a 'legitimate' purpose -pf course :dry )ever tried grip training

while on the pain medication?

Pain being part of the way the body protects itself from injury and Pain being part of the limitation of strength...has anyone done this?I wonder if it would allow you to train harder?or crush more on a gripper?

I have heard of Nubaine being used in some strength events because of this?

Anybody want to fess up........ :yikes just kidding..but anybody try this?

any theories?

I have had my fair share of experiences with dentists. One was an "old school" doc from way back that didn't believe in novacane or anything else - he happily drilled away while I had tears coming down my face; the pain was unbelieveable. I think I was 12 at the time, and I told my mother that I never wanted to see that guy ever again! My next dentist... I had a jokester of a dentist... the guy was never serious about anything. My oral surgeon was cool; I had my wisdom teeth out at 19, and the guy was real professional and I was done in about an hour; he broke the teeth in pieces then pulled them out. My current dentist is GOLD :inno ... the man knows his business, and he tells it like it is (I like that). He hits me up with so much novacane that I don't feel nuttin' :tongue ... then drill, drill, away! :yikes

I've been quoted as saying that, "Pain is good"... and it is; however, when it comes to the field of dentistry, that quote does not apply!! :D