One Arm Deadlift Records

Aaron Jacobs

I'm confused with statistics concerning the one arm deadlift. For instance, I believe A. Durniat has a video on Youtube of a 435lb. one arm deadlift. I'm assuming this was done with a hook grip. I have seen other one arm deadlift videos of guys pulling 400lb.+, but I am guessing all of these were done with a hook grip. On Mr. Horne's forum the British record is something in the realm of 335lb. by Steven Gardener and it specifically states no hook grip was used. Since the record is fairly recent (2010?), it leads me to believe that all of these 400lb.+ lifts are all hook grip. So, what is the WR in the one arm deadlift? I believe there is ambiguity regarding this record with respect to style (bar between the legs or done DO one arm in front) and whether the bar may have knurling in the center and whether a thumbless grip was used. Any thoughts?

Durniat pulled 518 with a hook grip. It remains one of the most impressive feats I've seen. (see below)

335 is the most I've ever heard of without a hook.

I don't think pulls of this caliber could be done on a bar without center knurling.

The USAWA and IAWA have some record keeping for these types of lifts; with and without hook grips and thumbless. My best are the 235.5kg left arm with a hook grip and I believe 305# right arm thumbless. Both of those were done in USAWA competitions.

• Like 1

The USAWA and IAWA have some record keeping for these types of lifts; with and without hook grips and thumbless. My best are the 235.5kg left arm with a hook grip and I believe 305# right arm thumbless. Both of those were done in USAWA competitions.

Did the bar have knurling in each case? Was the bar straddled or in front on the thumbless pull? Is there a requirement that the bar be of the revolving type to count as a world record? There isn't much available on the USAWA site regarding the lift and I cannot locate anything on the IAWA.

The Day I saw Your 235.5kg One Hand Deadlift Video My Jaw nearly hit the Floor. Awesome Strength. Well Done.

Edited by Jarrod Riordan

I think Steve Gardeners 150+kg is generally recognised as the WR with no hook. From the IAWA lists, Frank Ciavattone's 255.1kg is the WR with a hook.

Goerner allegedly did 727lbs in the 1930s.

Did the bar have knurling in each case? Was the bar straddled or in front on the thumbless pull? Is there a requirement that the bar be of the revolving type to count as a world record? There isn't much available on the USAWA site regarding the lift and I cannot locate anything on the IAWA.

Bar was knurled and revolving. My thumbless pull was bar in front. Ben Edwards may have a pic of it. I'll look if I have it on video as well. My lifts were bodyweight (105kg class) records. I've also lifted 600# on the plateau buster handle, non-revolving, no hook.

Andrew, have you ever considered going after Ciavattone's record? Seems within reach for a young/strong/light-ish guy like you!

I'm confused with statistics concerning the one arm deadlift. For instance, I believe A. Durniat has a video on Youtube of a 435lb. one arm deadlift. I'm assuming this was done with a hook grip. I have seen other one arm deadlift videos of guys pulling 400lb.+, but I am guessing all of these were done with a hook grip.

I guess someone else beat me to it but Andrew did that huge 500lbs+ pull lefty in a USAWA comp last year. I have never seen video of someone pulling over 400lbs without a hook. Not even close to that number even. I don't doubt that there is someone out there right now who could do it on the right bar. What is the right bar? That's a long post.

On Mr. Horne's forum the British record is something in the realm of 335lb. by Steven Gardener and it specifically states no hook grip was used. Since the record is fairly recent (2010?), it leads me to believe that all of these 400lb.+ lifts are all hook grip. So, what is the WR in the one arm deadlift?

You're right that all those 400lb+ lifts are hooked.

The highest number I've heard of in competition with judges is Frank Ciavattone's 562lb pull done in a USAWA meet. Andrew has come close to that mark and could probably beat it with a few months of specific training on it. Or a few weeks knowing him.

I believe there is ambiguity regarding this record with respect to style (bar between the legs or done DO one arm in front) and whether the bar may have knurling in the center and whether a thumbless grip was used. Any thoughts?

I can only speak with experience about the USAWA records since I have competed in USAWA-sanctioned events for about 10 years.

There is nothing vague about the records when it comes to thumbless or with a hook grip. Any events that are specifically done without a hook are called "Ciavattone" style - after Frank Ciavattone. It just means an overhand grip with no hook. If it's done with 2 hands it means a double overhand lift with no hook. One hand just means no hook grip and the thumb is wrapped around the bar like usual.

The USAWA has a separate list that focuses on thumbless grip deadlifts. I hold the record in the 220lb class - with 275lbs. Al Myers holds the record in the 253lb or 264lb class (I think he was about 43 years old when he set it on the same day I did my lift in competition) - also with 275lbs. Andrew Durniat holds the unlimited weight class record (he was in the 231lb class I believe that day) - with 308lbs - lefty I believe. Andrew did his thumbless grip deadlift with the bar held in front of his body. It's harder that way for me and most people. Most of us in the USAWA do the straddle style on one hand deadlifts. Andrew's 500lb+ one hand deadlift (hooked) was done in the straddle style though. All the Olympic bars in USAWA comps have knurling.

Can someone also clarify for the Nationals qualifying lift of 250#, can that be done straddling the bar?

Yes it can be straddling the bar. No-hook