Yellow Nail

Isaiah

I just got my Bag o' Nails and started bending for my first time. It's a ton of fun! I hit a wall on the yellow nail. I'm wondering why is the difference between the green and the yellow so large? Does any one have any tips to bridge the gap and bend this nail?

Edited by Idiedintothe

It's most likely a technique rather than strength issue. It is my personal opinion that nearly any healthy male should easily be able to bend the blue nail with little to no training. Its all technique with considerably small level of strength. As far as the red nail and above, this is were strength and technique harmonize to move you towards the next realm.

Since I have no idea what good technique is I suppose it would be that. Besides watching bending videos I have no point of reference. Would you give me some pointers for technique? And thanks for the reply. I'll get my hands on some of the materials mentioned above and continue to work my technique with the whites and greens.

Dude I'm in the same boat as you with this damn Yellow Nail but I agree with NaturalStrength that it really just might be the technique. I've been training and competing in arm wrestling for over a year and have taken my grip strength to closing a C.O.C #2.5 so I should have more than what it takes to bend this freakin yellow nail but it has kicked my ass on my first 2 attempts at it. Definitely go buy Jed Johnson's Ebook! It'll take a couple of reads through it but it's help me to see where I might be lacking. Bending Nails is one of those things that will take alot of practice to get good at.

I got my bag last week and was able to do the yellow but had no idea how to wrap properly which is my biggest problem right now other then technique. I think blue should be fine its just like yellow only little smaller but yellow was bit tough-wrist hands were sore and it was not quick bend-. Green and white are quite easy I feel I consider the yellow to be kind of like the coc #1 but the red looks bit harder then the coc # 3 -deep set close- the jump from blue to red looks ridiculous though. I found the underhand technique to be easier to get used to other then the overhand most do in videos which takes little bit of flexibility I felt. Yet practicing the ovehand more now.

Edited by yummy

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to go buy some Grade 2 bolts and 40d nails and give them a go. Matrix: I agree. I think it is a technique issue and I'm going to keep practicing. That e-book sounds nice I give it a shot as well I think. Might post a video soon just to get some feedback on my tech.

Ok. So I watched a video of Jedd Johnson talking about grip techniques and gave the yellow another go. I bent one that I kinked last week (because I couldn't bend it) and then bent a straight one with the pistol grip! I think it was definitely wrong technique combined with fatigue that stopped me last week. Man, this bending thing is addicting. Thanks for the support guys!! I'm still gonna get those bolts and nails to practice with and post a video for some feedback.

Congrats on slaying the yellow dragon, technique was the issue there for sure!

Thanks Gator! Definitely technique! I went to Home Depot and bought some 5" 40d nails, 6" x 1/4" bolts, and 60d nails. I came home and smashed a bolt, a 40d nail, a yellow nail, and slightly kinked a blue with the help of those technique pointers. I realize a picture isn't as good as a video of me bending, but here's the finished work! :D

nails

Edited by Idiedintothe

Congrats on the bends. The Home Depot's around me suck, all they have is 6" x 1/4" bolts and 60D spiral timber ties. I'm going to have to try and find some local mom and pop shops. Now I definitely have to give this Yellow another shot! My biggest problem with my first 2 attempts I think was how my hands are. I just wasn't understanding and grasping how to do the pistol grip but after reading the E-book a few more times and looking at the pics I think I understand it better so I'm anxious to give it another go.

Thanks Matrix! The change of grip really helped. Also, I seemed to use more of a crushing action with the chest along with the pull up with the wrist and that really did it. Perhaps that will help you.

Needed to give this another shot after reviewing the Double Overhand technique again and sure enough after some adjustments I was able to get a grade2, 1/4" 6" bolt then the Yellow Nail. My form needs work but I think I understand the concept now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3I4W9_So-s&list=UUk_N1Rh4mMVc-NN-yGzY6Jw&index=1&feature=plcp

IMAG0512.jpg

I'm pretty jazzed cause I smashed the Blue just now. I wrapped up the Red and gave it a go. It laughed at me.

Yeah, it likes to do that. If you make it down for the comp talk to me about technique at some point. We will have several very experienced benders on hand and there will be a couple of items to bend in the medley with at least 1 you should be able to bend currently without technique improvements.

- Aaron

Awesome. Martin responded on the comp thread so hopefully I'll be able to make it down with him. I'm excited to meet you guys and learn.

Here's a pic of the Blue and 60d I bent earlier today.

Nails2

Edited by Idiedintothe

Here's a pic of the Blue and 60d I bent earlier today.

Awesome job on the 60D and Blue nail! This really motivates me to get better and try for the blue and a 60D as well but unfortunately I have a big arm wrestling tournament next week so I need to lay off PR goals and make sure I'm fully healed so I'll give it a shot sometime after the tourney.

Few questions for ya if you don't mind,

1) how much more difficult did you find the blue nail compared to the yellow nail?

2) The 60D nail, was it shiny looking or dull? and how did it compare to the yellow and blue nail?

• Like 1

Thank you sir. Fight well at your tournament!

The kink on the Blue was more difficult. It's harder to get force down into the bar because of the difference in size. Once you get it kinked the crush is similar to the Yellow. The 60d was dull and was actually more comparable to the Yellow for me. It was a Home depot nail which I've heard is not what a "real" 60d is like.

-Isaiah

Well I woke up this morning full of energy and decided to just do a warm up work out when I heard some snickering coming from my Bag o Nails. Sure enough it was the Blue Nail. I decided once i was warmed up to do a few slight bends and then just go for it and shut that nail up. Cranked out a 60D (Dull) nail then smashed the Blue! I know I probably shouldn't have tried going for a PR within a week of the tourney but I felt really great this morning and extremely warmed up and now my moviation and determination is stronger than ever so it was a huge mental boost.

IMAG0520.jpg

Way to go Matrix! That blue nail is a punk!