Grippers, What Muscles Involved?

Monhori

Hello all!

I don't know much about hand and forearm anatomy so i have to ask.

I armwrestled something like 4-5 days ago, and trained with grippers that day to. I still feel pains in my elbow area of the forearm, (tendons for sure) and some muscles down the forearm to. I know that the pains are from an armwresling training, because after my grip training with coc's the area that usually aching is my hand and fingers, and not the forearm muscles.

i feel my hand is pretty fresh and healed today, and feel like i can close some grippers , BUT i'm afraid because my forearm is still in pains and not healthy enough and i can damage something.

Are the muscles that involved in armwrestling is the same ones that involved in gripper work? Or they are different, and i can start grippers training without afraid?

Thanks!

The elbow pain is tendon pain. I don't know about arm wrestling but I'll share what I know. If the pain is on the inside of the elbow it's "golfers elbow" and the outside pain would be "tennis elbow". Most gripsters get golfers elbow. What happens is all the finger flexors attach via a tendon right at the inside elbow. Also golfers get this pain from the lateral swing of a club, which also mimics arm wrestling. I assume your pain is there, and if that is the case it needs rest. These injures are from that lateral movement or over flexing the fingers, and both can happen with grippers and AW. Stretch the fingers back to take any constant tightness or tension off the inside forearm. Also try rubber band extensors. That will help take that tension off so the tendon inflamation can subside for the healing process. The injuries are not severe unless you keep pushing past the pain in which case a tear could happen. Most often though people experience a huge drop in gripper strength before that. At that point the body is shutting down the muscle groups to keep from further injuring the tendons.

That's a pretty good post about the conditions bro.

That's a pretty good post about the conditions bro.

Thanks Jedd and Carl. :) The Dieselcrew put out a great article on the subject that finally gave me an understanding of the subject. Before that i've always experienced both pains and have found ways to heal up quick, but I never really knew what was going on. Sean Dockery just put out a great prehab/rehap video on the elbow. One of the things he does and i've experienced as well is reverse axe wrist curls really help that golfers elbow too. That was a staple in the last few months for me trying to recover from that as well.

This article is gold. http://www.dieselcrew.com/rick-kaselj-prevent-heal-forearm-injuries

Great prehab/rehab movements

It's moments like this that people get burnt out on trying to help people.

Don't be burned out Daniel, :) I thank you cause I learned some things from both your post and the video. Thanks brother :) What I would add is what I do which is to use in addition to stretching "Tiger Balm Red Extra Strength" its at walmart for a few bucks in the pharmacy section. Get the kind that the smell goes away quickly or your friends will complain ha ha. Also, you might try the hot and cold method. I don't know too much about this but Eric Milfeld told me about it. Basically, to increase circulation to the hand/elbow/wherever the injury is, you get a bucket of ice cold water and I filled up the tub to keep the heat there longer. I dipped my hand (because thats where I had my injury) in the warm after first warming up with some stretching and tennis ball squeezes and then after about a minute or so when I could visibly see that my skin under the water was no longer red (hmmm I actually used hot water so be careful) and was instead a normal hue, I dunked it into the freezing cold water. Once my hand adapted to the cold I went back into the HOTTTT tub again lol. Wash rinse repeat. When I did it I tried squeezing the tennis ball under the water to give my hand a job to do while it soaked. In addition if you really want to go all out (and this will get rid of it in about 3 days MAX) get the "Triflex" with Hyaluronic Acid. The MSM is a natural anti-inflammitory, the Glucosamine and Chondroitin help to lubricate and protect and strengthen joints, and tendons. The Hyaluronic Acid I know that can actually work wonders for injuries of that and in fact is according to this Natural Path Doctor, it is the complete branch chain (no not the branch chain ammino acids aka valine, leucine, and isoleucine. Yes, I do know what I am talking about ;) ) for joint and soft tissue repair. Its about 35 bucks for a month's supply but if you rest up for a while (you might not need a month) and you take this and do mild activity such as extensors ie rubber bands or squeezing a tennis ball even regular weights in the gym work great. If you do it right, you should come back better than before. You also might look into acupuncture-hey sounds weird but 2-3 sessions did wonders for my shoulder. Hope this helps Monhori, ;)

-Jordan