Purchasing Two Coc Grippers Tonight, Which Ones?

offermann

Hey guys, I'm a 17 year old in high school and I've been fascinated by grip strength for a while. The only gripper I've owned up to this point is the Ivanko Super Gripper which I've enjoyed but I'd like to try a CoC for comparison. I plan on purchasing two grippers through IronMind.com (unless there is a better site, I don't believe grippersupperstore carries CoC anymore). The problem, however, is that I am unsure of which combination to buy. I'd either be getting the CoC #1 and #1.5 or the #1.5 and the #2. Having never tried a CoC I can't say for certain but I am fairly confident I could close the number 1. The highest setting I've closed on my Ivanko is rated at 215 pounds but I know the carryover is limited. I would opt for the #1 and 1.5 but I'd be upset if I was able to conquer the #1 quickly and not have the #2 to work up to, I'm trying to save money =S

I think the decision factor here is if I will be able to close the 1.5 for a clean rep or not. If I can close it, it will be worth it to have the #2, but if not the #1 would be a better choice. I think that is obvious and the hard part is trying to approximate what I can close now. I'm open to all ideas and thoughts though. Thanks guys!

Get the #1 and #2. They did not carry the "0.5" grippers when I bought my first ones, and I had no problem bridging the gap to the #2 by working reps on the #1. I could not close the #2 when it arrived; about 1/4" off.

You'll never be sorry you have these two grippers. I still use mine every workout and they're the ones I let my friends try, etc.

Good luck!

hmm I suppose if the gap from the #1 to #2 is easier than I suspected then I guess that would be the obvious choice. But what if I find out I can only just barely close the #1? That'd be a worst case scenario though

You're a 17-year-old high school male who's been fascinated by grip strength for a while. You'll close the #1.

If you can't it will be a form issue and nothing to do with the gripper you bought.

This might not really answer your question, but you are likely going to want to have all the grippers eventually anyway. You may even want as low as the trainer for some easy warm ups. You certainly will buy the #1 and #2 at some point no matter what you do now if you keep interest in grip. The 1.5 is quite nice to bridge the gap in my opinion, but it is not really "needed"

Me? I would get the Trainer and the 1.5.

Everyone passes around these things to everyone they know. You want your friends to be able to close the Trainer, but then you will want to close something they can't, which will be the 1.5 (probably).

I know this is counter to what I have always argued (it is Socially Weird to be obssessed with grippers), but you are not working in a professional office, you are in high school. I doubt if most of the football players will be able to close the 1.5.

I use my Trainer every single time I work out, and have been doing so for 13 years.

Me? I would get the Trainer and the 1.5. Everyone passes around these things to everyone they know. You want your friends to be able to close the Trainer, but then you will want to close something they can't, which will be the 1.5 (probably). I know this is counter to what I have always argued (it is Socially Weird to be obssessed with grippers), but you are not working in a professional office, you are in high school. I doubt if most of the football players will be able to close the 1.5. I use my Trainer every single time I work out, and have been doing so for 13 years.

I just think if you're only getting two grippers, the primary target should be tools to train yourself.

Offermann, if you're willing to spend the dough, I would drop all this and get a Vulcan. I did not recommend it before because it seems like cost might be an issue and you specifically said you wanted some regular grippers after trying the ISG.

Thanks for replies guys, I ended up ordering the #1 and #2, through amazon for 25.00 each, but free 2 day shipping is included, so it ended up being cheaper, quicker, and probably more reliable than through ironmind.

I wouldn't actually mind dropping the dough on the Vulcan but my parents would just be fed up lol. My dad used to be a weightlifter but knows little about grip. When the Ivanko arrived on my doorstep he thought it was a little expensive. Now I am getting two more grippers and he won't see the point in that, and if I bought another adjustable for 150 + shipping he'd just be angry.

The only thing to keep in mind now is that as soon as you close your #2, you'll need to order again.....and again.....and again.....lol....

Hope you'll be posting the results soon, of trying the grippers for the first time.

You'll probably need to master your setting technique on the #1, and then the #2 should be easy for you.

Look up the video on youtube by Paul Knight.

The only thing to keep in mind now is that as soon as you close your #2, you'll need to order again.....and again.....and again.....lol....

True, but if I'm closing the #2 for reps I will be a happy man, I think they should be here tomorrow.

I haven't looked into any real technique or anything yet, but I opened the package a few hours ago and tried them both right away. I was disappointed to say the least; I was probably a quarter of inch from closing the #1, multiple times but I bet I could have closed it with max effort, my hands weren't feeling it after work yesterday. Having never used a CoC gripper I had no idea what to expect but I thought I could do better than a rep, being able to close the Ivanko on 200. The CoC is much more progressive as you close it, the closer you get the more crushing power it takes. The Ivanko is more of a smooth, even resistance pull.

Are they a little harder to close right out of the package or am I just weaker than I expected? I'm really not sure what to do training wise now because I can only close the #1 for one rep, should I do negatives/static holds? Thanks guys!

Check out Paul Knight and Jedd Johnson's youtube videos on setting gripper and practice the set.

Hope you'll be posting the results soon, of trying the grippers for the first time.

You'll probably need to master your setting technique on the #1, and then the #2 should be easy for you.

Look up the video on youtube by Paul Knight.

best advice is to watch the videos and learn the 'set' technique. this will have you closing tougher grippers before you know it.

I haven't looked into any real technique or anything yet, but I opened the package a few hours ago and tried them both right away. I was disappointed to say the least; I was probably a quarter of inch from closing the #1, multiple times but I bet I could have closed it with max effort, my hands weren't feeling it after work yesterday. Having never used a CoC gripper I had no idea what to expect but I thought I could do better than a rep, being able to close the Ivanko on 200. The CoC is much more progressive as you close it, the closer you get the more crushing power it takes. The Ivanko is more of a smooth, even resistance pull.

Are they a little harder to close right out of the package or am I just weaker than I expected? I'm really not sure what to do training wise now because I can only close the #1 for one rep, should I do negatives/static holds? Thanks guys!

You will have to work with your Ivanko and your CoCs. You will get the Number 1 in the very near future. Joe Kinney's original video would have been saying the Number 2 is perfect for doing negatives for you. You will get much more specific advice from the guys here.

You are 17 years old. The Number 1 is a hard gripper. I doubt that many 17 year olds you know can close it. You have focus, drive, and determination. You will do fine.