Is Anyone Bending Rebar

abcampbell

My frind had 2 feet of rebar about 12 ft. each. One piece is 3/8 and the other is 1/2. I cut the 3/8 into 20 inches which I bent until parallel, then 19.5, then 19 with all reaching parallel. I hope to maybe work it down a half each a few more times until I finish of the piece.

Anyone know what is a good length to reach for both the 3/8 and 1/2.

I played with it a little while a couple years ago. Grade 40 is the best as grade 60 is too springy. I remember getting the 1/2 inch or #4 as it's called, down to about 11 inches but that was when I was bending pretty hard and heavy. Never played with the 3/8 much but it would be about like a spike of equal length so when you get under 12 inches it'll be a good bend.

Later

I played with it a little while a couple years ago. Grade 40 is the best as grade 60 is too springy. I remember getting the 1/2 inch or #4 as it's called, down to about 11 inches but that was when I was bending pretty hard and heavy. Never played with the 3/8 much but it would be about like a spike of equal length so when you get under 12 inches it'll be a good bend.

Later

Good to see you back again Tim!

That Grade 60 stuff is nasty and I hated it the few times I tried to bend it when I was doing some bigger DO bends. Guess it would be considered cost-effective though. But I always thought it felt like I was going to injure myself somehow.

Thanks for the input. I felt what I had was springy, so maybe it was 60. I am not sure and probably no way to tell after it is out of the store.

I may bend the 2 pieces I have and then another freind has another 2 pieces and see if I can work down toward that 12 inches on the 3/8.