Claw Curl - Gripboard Record

Sybersnott

Today, I pulled 182 pounds on the Claw Curl.

That's four 45 pound plates and a pin. On the 2nd rep of my right hand, I pulled it waist high and held it for about four seconds.

Then the let down. I switched to my left hand, and tried to pull the weight up like I did with my right. Didn't happen! :(

What can you guys do on this?? :D

Sybersnott,

I'm curious about your technique with this tool. You stated you pulled 182lbs :yikes

I haven't tried pulling any weight with the device but have been doing finger curls with it...I'll have to give a pull attempt tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Jon@han

Today, I broke the 200 pound barrier... right-handed. Six inches off the ground for about three seconds.

Then, I tried with my left hand, and couldn't pull it up! :blink Hey... what's going on?!? :(

Jonathan, I put ALL my fingers in the strap and then I deadlift the weight (same motion as lifting a thick DB). I dunno.... maybe I need to work on my left hand? :mellow Whadda think? ;)

Sybersnott,

Didn't try any pulls yesterday as I torched my hands with a measily 40lbs doing finger curls with it. But damn, you've got to be feeling some decent pressure on your finger pads pulling with 200lbs on it!!!

I'd work some finger curls with the device as well though as it's a unique feeling exercise. I only put my fingers in up to the first knuckle when I do them and try to only move my fingers to my palm. I find I have to guide the straps with my free hand so that they don't flop around and/or slip off my pinky finger.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

Jam your fingers all the way into the strap and lift! I really can't tell ya why my left hand doesn't want to lift that weight! :mellow I'll began work on my left hand and see what happens.

Snott - I just pulled (in your deadlifting manner) 210 pounds with each hand. I weigh 150 pounds ( /-) and am convinced that there are folks who could pull many hundreds of pounds if they tried it as a fingertip deadlift. (note: my 210 was 2X50 2X25 4X10 1X20#blob).

Mike M.

supersqueeze,

Way to go! :bow Gives me something to shoot for.... as for the left hand, don't know why I can't pull that weight, but tomorrow, I'll try it again and see what happens. I always save the Claw Curl pulls for the end of the workout, but perhaps I should do it at the very first when I'm at my freshest. :happy

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to rig up a better loading bar before I even think of trying this style. I've been using an eyebolt and some washers with a nut and a standard plate as a loading pin...I think my setup would pull apart at those poundages.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

Yes, get a decent loading pin. Go over to the NYB site... they have some good ones, and you'll need something decent if your going to pull heavy trying this lift. Good Luck! :cool

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com

Today, after a light bench routine... I did the Claw Curl, and managed to lift 215 pounds - a new GripBoard record! To tell you the truth, I didn't like the lift - I pulled it up for about 3 seconds and got it about 3 inches off the ground. I'm still working with my left hand - it's WAY behind catching up with my right.

Way to go Snott! I hear 225lbs shaking in fear of your name!

BTW thanks for the link for loading pins but I'll probably just make some out of pipe and flange.

Jon@han

O.K., supersqueeze... the ball's in your court! Bust my PR! :tongue;)

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE ON CLAW CURL GRIPBOARD RECORD:

I have just heard from supersqueeze that he has broken the CC GripBoard record with a lift of 245#. I have asked for proof, and he will be sending me a video of the lift - which I will in turn send to Wanna.

Woah!!!!!!

Well eventually I'll have to get around to assembling a sturdier pin and see what I can deadlift with the thing as well. I'm still quite happy finger curling with it even though the poundages are rather wee.

Jon@han

Talk about blowing the original record out the window! Eventually I' ll have to purchase the claw curl and give it a whirl.

L.J.

I love the competition! Gives me a chance to bust the new record - yeah, get one and give it a try, HandsOfStone.