Difference Between The Vulcan And A Loadable Floor Gripper?

Jones1874

their both similar with the fact you can micro-load, and i know their gonna have a slightly different feel.. but what exactly is the difference? as far as the type of resistance which is used, and the carryover?

i know you should use both to get the best of both worlds, but whats the difference?

Thanks.

Edited by alexjones234

Convenience. :excl:

haha, ok boss. just thought there might have been more too it.

thanks for the reply though!

A huge component to grippers is technique. You can get strong with either but if you only ever used a plate loader and tried a A shaped gripper you'd be fumbling a lot with similar strength levels.

(null)

A huge component to grippers is technique. You can get strong with either but if you only ever used a plate loader and tried a A shaped gripper you'd be fumbling a lot with similar strength levels.

(null)

i own a few different pieces of equipment, TSGs, a floor gripper and the vulcan v2. im not a huge fan of the vulcan at the minute. because of the way you have to set it theres quite a bit of tension on your hand before you even start the close, which kills the momentum.

with the floor gripper (which i set so its the same spread as the COC's) i find that you can get more of an explosive close from start to finish because theres no tension on your hand at the start like you get with a vulcan.

i was thinking of using a TSG for max attempts, then using the floor gripper for a few sets/reps after the max attempts. what do you think about that? seems like a good idea to me, but then again, i am brand new to the game.

(null)

i own a few different pieces of equipment, TSGs, a floor gripper and the vulcan v2. im not a huge fan of the vulcan at the minute. because of the way you have to set it theres quite a bit of tension on your hand before you even start the close, which kills the momentum.

with the floor gripper (which i set so its the same spread as the COC's) i find that you can get more of an explosive close from start to finish because theres no tension on your hand at the start like you get with a vulcan.

i was thinking of using a TSG for max attempts, then using the floor gripper for a few sets/reps after the max attempts. what do you think about that? seems like a good idea to me, but then again, i am brand new to the game.

A ton of a persons ability with grippers comes from their setting strength/proficiency. This can be readily be seen with most peoples closes on choked grippers vs regular TSG. Most (but not all) people are much (I'd guess 10# on RGC) stronger with the choked gripper than one they're having to set. Some of this comes from the spring having some tension taken by the choker but mainly the strength lost due to inefficiency of their setting. Get the set up and the closes will climb. Just my 2c

(null)

A ton of a persons ability with grippers comes from their setting strength/proficiency. This can be readily be seen with most peoples closes on choked grippers vs regular TSG. Most (but not all) people are much (I'd guess 10# on RGC) stronger with the choked gripper than one they're having to set. Some of this comes from the spring having some tension taken by the choker but mainly the strength lost due to inefficiency of their setting. Get the set up and the closes will climb. Just my 2c

i understand what your trying to say. i appreciate the feedback. il just have to mix it up and try to become as efficent with each tool as possible to get the best carryover.

thanks for the reply.

They're all good training tools and everyone responds a bit different. You could always cycle them during the week to keep things fresh and the strength climbing on all of the implements. Myself I'm getting back to the grippers a bit more for Aaron's comp cycling one workout with the Vulcan doing lots of sets to build that that strength then choker work to get the snap up. Thick bar will also help your set.

(null)

Agreed with Shoggoth. I have a plate loader but don't use it at this moment. If you want to get stronger on a certain piece of equipment, train with

that piece of equipment. I think it's that simple. When I've mastered my goal gripper, I will certainly be using the plate loader again for building some

basic handstrength. When you search on this board for gripmachine topics, you'll get a lot of info and insight. I think there is carry over, but to build up strength with your gripmachine, you will have to train for a longer period, exclusively with your gripmachine. Or yould do a mixture. Try and see I would say...and take your time, and do not expect results in three weeks. Something I've learned. The Vulcan is heavy and difficult to set. So you'll get stronger in the TSG sweep in the long term.

Maybe adjust your Vulcan, so that you can choke it for very high settings in which you can concentrate on the closing part, and use the lower levels for training the sweep. Possibilities are endless I would say :) Good luck with training!

Agreed with Shoggoth. I have a plate loader but don't use it at this moment. If you want to get stronger on a certain piece of equipment, train with

that piece of equipment. I think it's that simple. When I've mastered my goal gripper, I will certainly be using the plate loader again for building some

basic handstrength. When you search on this board for gripmachine topics, you'll get a lot of info and insight. I think there is carry over, but to build up strength with your gripmachine, you will have to train for a longer period, exclusively with your gripmachine. Or yould do a mixture. Try and see I would say...and take your time, and do not expect results in three weeks. Something I've learned. The Vulcan is heavy and difficult to set. So you'll get stronger in the TSG sweep in the long term.

Maybe adjust your Vulcan, so that you can choke it for very high settings in which you can concentrate on the closing part, and use the lower levels for training the sweep. Possibilities are endless I would say :) Good luck with training!

Thanks to both you and Shoggoth for some good answers. it all made alot of sense, but on the same note, im still unsure on what im going to do..

I think the problem with knowing more, is that it makes you over think it too much, rather than just getting on with it.

Fact is, there is no such thing as a perfect way to train, just different ways.. but having more options can sometimes leave you a bit confused.

at the minute, i have to admit, im still leaning towards using my plate loaded gripper to help with the explosive start, and choke up my current gripper (a measly #2) to work on smashing the end of the close. i think if you can get explosive at both ends, then hopefully you will develop a more overall explosive close. which, to me at this moment, seems more productive than struggling at the start with the vulcan. although im not a big fan right now, i think my best bet is probably to hang on to the vulcan for now because il only end up buying one again in the near future when i read more info and realise what i was missing out on.. but for now im gonna set it aside. if thats a mistake im sure i will soon learn.

Thanks to both you and Shoggoth for some good answers. it all made alot of sense, but on the same note, im still unsure on what im going to do..

I think the problem with knowing more, is that it makes you over think it too much, rather than just getting on with it.

Fact is, there is no such thing as a perfect way to train, just different ways.. but having more options can sometimes leave you a bit confused.

at the minute, i have to admit, im still leaning towards using my plate loaded gripper to help with the explosive start, and choke up my current gripper (a measly #2) to work on smashing the end of the close. i think if you can get explosive at both ends, then hopefully you will develop a more overall explosive close. which, to me at this moment, seems more productive than struggling at the start with the vulcan. although im not a big fan right now, i think my best bet is probably to hang on to the vulcan for now because il only end up buying one again in the near future when i read more info and realise what i was missing out on.. but for now im gonna set it aside. if thats a mistake im sure i will soon learn.

The reason you struggle with the Vulcan is that your set sucks. It's not going to hurt you much if you're only at a choked #2 level but your set WILL hold you back. If you're just working the plate loader and a choked gripper your set will regress even further. If you don't care about competing or closing higher level grippers without a choker than your reasoning is okay. If you want to eventually close big grippers without a choker you'll have to learn how to set. That's why there's often times a huuuge diffence between MMS gripper closes and choked closes by the same people. Look at the results from Gripmas and talk to some of the competitors.

The reason you struggle with the Vulcan is that your set sucks. It's not going to hurt you much if you're only at a choked #2 level but your set WILL hold you back. If you're just working the plate loader and a choked gripper your set will regress even further. If you don't care about competing or closing higher level grippers without a choker than your reasoning is okay. If you want to eventually close big grippers without a choker you'll have to learn how to set. That's why there's often times a huuuge diffence between MMS gripper closes and choked closes by the same people. Look at the results from Gripmas and talk to some of the competitors.

I thought I would chime in and say that I agree with Shoggoth. I don't do any choker work for this reason. I want my set to get better. I hated the Vulcan at first, but now that I have stuck with it, my set has gotta so much better and I'm closing bigger grippers all the time. Another advantage of the Vulcan is the smooth handles that save the skin on your hands. I still use TSGs though to get the best of both worlds since they have a different feel. Just like in weight lifting, the stuff which is the hardest to do usually gives the greatest benefit.

I have the biggest difference of anyone I have ever heard of between choked and MMS. RGC rated 191.8 choked to 156 MMS. Why - it's pretty simple, I hate grippers, almost never train with them - and have a set that makes people laugh at me. But grippers aren't a priority to me so it doesn't bother me much. If closing big grippers matters to you - you HAVE TO develop a tremendous setting ability as well as the strength to finsih them off. If you like your plate loader - by all means use it - but for most people - the carry over to a TSG is going to be minimal at best. To be good at grippers with their non parallel handles - you have to spend a lot of time with a gripper in your hand - and a big part of that time needs to be spent working on your set at the distance that's important to you - be that TNS - CCS - MMS - or the various block sets being used now. Good Luck!

thanks for the replys lads. to be completely honest. i didnt realise how much effort actually went into training grippers. im talking more about setting it etc. ive read about joe kinneys different tools, but i havent seen the DVD so i wouldnt have any idea if he goes in this much depth as this forum about setting grippers and so on.

im more bothered about having a good crush grip as opposed to closing big grippers, if that makes sense.. i dont care if im crushing alot of weight via a floor gripper or COC gripper, as long as im getting stronger. im not looking to compete so i suppose it dont matter quite as much.

im personally more concerned with how grip will carry over to real life, more than winning a comp, not that closing the big grippers wont carry over to real life, theres just more technique involved). whether i need to grab someone or something, have a strong tight fist for hitting the bag. that sort of stuff.

Edited by alexjones234

You don't need to make a scientific thing of this closing big grippers thing. In my opinion if you train with a certain piece of equipment and get stronger, you will benefit from that in other areas. Choking a gripper isn't a bad thing, as long as you don't set the gripper in your sweet spot, 'cause it won't be there when closing a big gripper. It will move a bit backwards. The same as that the MMS isn't THE way to close grippers. The key is to use all of them techniques to get stronger. And that takes time. And if you are not a natural (like me :) ) you have figure out a lot and see what works. And if you're just strong and close the #3 on your first go, well, than you don't :grin: . Keep working and be persistent.

You don't need to make a scientific thing of this closing big grippers thing. In my opinion if you train with a certain piece of equipment and get stronger, you will benefit from that in other areas. Choking a gripper isn't a bad thing, as long as you don't set the gripper in your sweet spot, 'cause it won't be there when closing a big gripper. It will move a bit backwards. The same as that the MMS isn't THE way to close grippers. The key is to use all of them techniques to get stronger. And that takes time. And if you are not a natural (like me :) ) you have figure out a lot and see what works. And if you're just strong and close the #3 on your first go, well, than you don't :grin: . Keep working and be persistent.

you closed the #3 on your FIRST GO!? .. thats ridiculous bud. i wish i was you lol. yeah, im not gonna go on about this any more. im just gonna do what i can, get on with it and see what happens. im in it for the long haul so i wont expect any miracles over night.

thanks to everyone for the replies.

you closed the #3 on your FIRST GO!? .. thats ridiculous bud. i wish i was you lol. yeah, im not gonna go on about this any more. im just gonna do what i can, get on with it and see what happens. im in it for the long haul so i wont expect any miracles over night.

Hahahaha oh no buddy, you misunderstood me! I meant that I'm NOT a natural! Meaning that I've been struggling with chasing my goal gripper, overtraining, etc, and now finally getting a groove that's paying off. But you have to figure out what works for you! If you're interested in working with a gripmachine by the way, I had some contact a while ago with Bill Malcolm (WAM on this board) and Carlos F. Rivera Pagan, both #3 closers and guys who had good results in training with plateloaders. I can PM you about that if you want.

Wish I'd closed the #3 on my first go though :)

Hahahaha oh no buddy, you misunderstood me! I meant that I'm NOT a natural! Meaning that I've been struggling with chasing my goal gripper, overtraining, etc, and now finally getting a groove that's paying off. But you have to figure out what works for you! If you're interested in working with a gripmachine by the way, I had some contact a while ago with Bill Malcolm (WAM on this board) and Carlos F. Rivera Pagan, both #3 closers and guys who had good results in training with plateloaders. I can PM you about that if you want.

Wish I'd closed the #3 on my first go though :)

haha, o right!! i couldnt believe it to be honest!

Yeah ok mate, shoot me a PM :) id be interested to here a bit more about the plate loaded gripper, its not mentioned that much at all around here from what ive noticed so far.