A Fun Challenge

EricMilfeld

How long can you hang by one hand without a hook grip from a smooth one inch diameter bar?

It's nothing I've specifically trained for, but my son and I were just messing around in the garage and I got the idea to time myself: 30 seconds.

I weighed 192. Yesterday I weighed in at 181.6 for the Metroflex grip contest. LOL!

Here is a video of olympic weightlifter/strongman/powerlifter misha koklyaev doing it for a decent ammount of time. Pretty good considering he is over 330lbs.and is right handed I believe -video done with left-

Edited by yummy

Here is a video of olympic weightlifter/strongman/powerlifter misha koklyaev doing it for a decent ammount of time. Pretty good considering he is over 330lbs.and is right handed I believe -video done with left-

Yes, very impressive for a big guy. I assume he wasn't using a hook. Looked to be about 22 seconds.

not a 100% sure but I would assume so he has always shown great grip in strongman contests and has over a 900lb deadlift with hook grip. He has larege hands obviously being around 6'4 which helps.

I thought of doing similar but using those fat grips to attach to the bar and using both hands and just hanging with dip belt and add resistance instead of for time. You could consider the same with one hand bar by adding resistance using a dip belt. Would be good way to train open hand strength.

Edited by yummy

We had this as a strongman event many years ago and won the event with around 1min 30 sec (I weighed about 90k). It was hanging from a fixed bar.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

We had this as a strongman event many years ago and won the event with around 1min 30 sec (I weighed about 90k). It was hanging from a fixed bar.

You are obviously making that up. :grin:

Hanging from a fixed bar like a pull-up rack for example is easier (I can imagine) than hanging from a rotating OL or PL bar. I am pretty sure I could do 2min+ these days from a fixed 1'' bar.

The first time we had this event I did around 40 sec.

Arne Persson, co-organiser of the LGC grip competitions, participated in both competitions.

Hanging from a fixed bar like a pull-up rack for example is easier (I can imagine) than hanging from a rotating OL or PL bar. I am pretty sure I could do 2min+ these days from a fixed 1'' bar.

Yeah, no doubt. I was hanging from my deadlift bar supported on top of wooden boards. It had a little bit of rotation.

I'll try this tonight.

You should do real well, Matt. Nice and fit and light with great crush strength. Probably good endurance, too...

Any climber should be able to excel at this. I know I hung from a 1.5" flat ledge with 3 fingers while finger walking an 8# sledge in the other hand, took about 15 seconds. The hard part was not being able to grab around anything for the hang. 1.5" is hardly enough to get past the first knuckle too, so it was more fingertip strength to hold the flat ledge. It ws also a pain tolerance test. It took a good amount of skin off after 4 sets.

An oly bar should be harder than a fixed pullup bar for two reasons, they will rotate and they are normally polished steel or slick steel at the center. Pullups bars typically have good friction even if smooth.

I'll try this tonight.
You should do real well, Matt. Nice and fit and light with great crush strength. Probably good endurance, too...

You can wrap your thumb, right, just no hook grip?

This is harder than I thought... On my bicep! I made it ~30sec. Pain sets in pretty quick.

Might try again after my workout.

Here is my attempt. This was done a while ago in response to some other challenge. Not really a max effort. Athletic tape on the bar, but it was about an inch and a half.

I was playing around trying this on the fat monkey bars (like 3" diameter) at the in-laws this New Years. Didn't do it for time though. It's a lot easier when the bar is fixed. I also did pull-ups on a swingset that had about 10" diameter crosspieces on the top. It had a funny painted finish that helped the hands stick a bit, otherwise I probably would have peeled right off if it was bare metal.

Matt, yeah you can wrap your thumbs.

Bob, I'm awarding you 30 seconds of additional time for the class you displayed drinking the ale.