Bolts Vs. Bars

xvx

I was wondering, as a general rule, how grade 2 bolts compare to CRS bars. I understand that each batch is different but I assume that there is a general strength comparison to go by.

I picked up some grade 2 bolts the other day and they were easier to kink than the bars I have now, compared to pieces of the same length, but the squeeze was a little bit slower. Overall I would say the bolts I currently have are easier than the bars I have.

Also, I can't find and grade 5 longer than four inches, but there are still a few places around here I could check. Does anyone have suggestions of somewhere I should look for them?

Your best bet is on-line sources such as Mcmaster Carr. They carry wide ranges of different bolts, as do other big name websites.

If you are looking for more bending information, my Nail Bending eBook can help out trememndously.

If you go through the link below, 50% will go to the board, as I am a sponsor with my ebooks:

Nail Bending eBook

Thanks and all the best.

Jedd

I find the grade 2 bolts easier to bend than the IM yellow or blue nail, FBBC 1/4" hex was a tougher bend than the IM blue nail, and the grade 5 bolt was a tougher bend than the FBBC 1/4" hex. If you live in the US drop me a PM and I'll ship you some grade 5s.

Thanks for the replies. Jedd- thanks for the quick response. As an up-and-coming gripster I look up to you a lot (as any of us should). I would like to get all of your ebooks, but the little cash I had aside from upcoming rent just went to getting some new stock. Fortunately I have invested a lot of time into understanding the techniques and basics of bending, so I can get those somewhere down the line and still be safe I think.

Gerry, the way you explained it puts it into perfect perspective for me. I don't think ill be able to knock out a g5 right now, so it's not really worth the hassle of shipping. I would like to get some blue nails in the near future though, so if I start finding those a little easy I'll drop you a message and see about those grade 5's.

You can typically find 6" Grade 5s at Fastenal. If they don't have one at the closest store to you, they can order anything.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're knocking down 1/4 inch CRS stock and grade 2 bolts you have several options. Some 60d twist timber ties are a little harder but you should probably try some 60d nails. Classic feat of strength and they look awesome bent. They vary a ton by batch and I've had them calibrate anywhere from 210 lbs (grade 2 bolt level) on up to 480 lbs (freak grade 8 levels). Most will hit between 250 and 300 for reference.

The fastenal G5 bolts are the easiest G5 bolts I've ever bent so when you start on G5s, the fnl bolts are the way to go - although expensive.

Thanks for the tip! I got one of those timber ties and it was easier than the bolts that I had, but I'll definitely look into getting some more. Thanks for the heads up about the fastenal bolts too, I'll keep that in mind.

If you're new and strapped for cash... rather than buying steel stock. I would recommend just making a lever. Bring a light plate with you to home depot get a fitting piece of PVC pipe, a hose clamp, and a spring clamps.... shouldn't run you more than a few bucks and I'm sure that you can figure out what to do with them. Plus it will build you wrist, which is much needed for steel bending. I remember even david horne stated that you should build your wrist before doing steel bending.