Am I Pinching Wrong?

Jones1874

ive looked at videos on youtube on how to pinch grip blocks, plates etc .. and although ive read this works the thumbs well, i really feel as though their not getting involved much in the lift. it feels as though my fingers are taking the brunt of the force, especially in the knuckles area.

i get the same feeling when i do plate curls aswell.

is this what to expect? or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by alexjones234

Sounds like your hands are still getting used to the different stress that this stuff does. You will feel pinches in your fingers as well though normally as block weights and such are more of a whole hand exercise.

(null)

A tip I wish I had followed years ago is to pinch in leather gloves. You can do much more work and get deep into fatigue for the thumb and all the "gear" in your forearms. I've benefitted from this lately.

• Like 2

A tip I wish I had followed years ago is to pinch in leather gloves. You can do much more work and get deep into fatigue for the thumb and all the "gear" in your forearms. I've benefitted from this lately.

like welding gloves? whats the difference between gloves vs no gloves?

thanks.

Everyone is different - I went backwards when I worked with gloves. Look in the archieves - there have been several "how to " threads you might benefit from. But time is the secret really - you have to just keep working things - try different things and find what works for you - and it seems different for everyone.

You need to mentally drive the thumb into whatever you are pinching. Forget the fingers and just focus on crushing the object with the thumb. It's a new movement so the brain hasn't figured out how to lift the stuff yet, so what it's doing is reverting to what it knows best, which is grabbing with the fingers. That's my take on it. If you don't feel you're working the thumb by concentrating 100% on thumb engagement then somethings wrong. Try to squeeze with the thumb AND the thumb pad. Get that whole side of the hand to do ALL the work, the fingers will naturally do work to balance the lift out so don't think about the fingers.

And remember, the objective of pinching things isn't to just lift them, it's to make the thumb stronger. Spend all your energy on the thumb during pinch lifts. Get stronger first, then objects will be lifted.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

You need to mentally drive the thumb into whatever you are pinching. Forget the fingers and just focus on crushing the object with the thumb. It's a new movement so the brain hasn't figured out how to lift the stuff yet, so what it's doing is reverting to what it knows best, which is grabbing with the fingers. That's my take on it. If you don't feel you're working the thumb by concentrating 100% on thumb engagement then somethings wrong. Try to squeeze with the thumb AND the thumb pad. Get that whole side of the hand to do ALL the work, the fingers will naturally do work to balance the lift out so don't think about the fingers.

And remember, the objective of pinching things isn't to just lift them, it's to make the thumb stronger. Spend all your energy on the thumb during pinch lifts. Get stronger first, then objects will be lifted.

That sounds pretty spot on to be fair! thanks to you and others for chiming in. il try to consciously work the thumb in my next grip workout tomorrow and see how i fare.