North American Grip Contest Calendar

Jedd Johnson

I went through and updated the rest of the announced contests that I am aware of for this year on the GripSport.org site.

Please feel free to take a look: http://gripsport.org/calendar.htm

If anyone else knows of any North American competitions, please let me know. Just send me the info and I will add them on there.

A Few Questions:

Does anyone know if Robert Alva or Austin Slater plan on running their competitions on the West Coast? I had Austin's on the calendar last year, but I think it got cancelled, and I am not sure if Robert had his. Just want to keep the list updated.

Will Josh and Ben be holding their KC Qualifier this year?

I still have Gripmas listed on there - not sure if Chris has decided to run that one or not. I can pull it off if need be.

There are a lot of months that are open, with no contents in the US scheduled: July, October, and November.

If anyone sees anything that looks wrong, or if I missed something, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jedd

Regarding the KC Qualifier: I'll have to talk to Scott and Ben but I'm leaning towards no. The sole purpose of the contest was to give the midwest guys a qualifier for Nats. Andrew has allowed video qualification now (thank goodness!) so I for one am really not interested in lugging weights, driving across state, taking time off work, etc.. for it.

I am planning a series for 2012 for discussion among US promoters and I was going to recommend using Oct/Nov/Dec this year with WSH only running one leg

when you guys see it you will dig it

Jedd, I am also in the process of updating my full contest results list, and putting my page in line with North American Grip rules, ie deleting all my extraneous stuff. Then I will slug through things and update records.

Jedd, can you change my comp location to Concord, CA? Thanks bro.

Changed made buddy.

Regarding the KC Qualifier: I'll have to talk to Scott and Ben but I'm leaning towards no. The sole purpose of the contest was to give the midwest guys a qualifier for Nats. Andrew has allowed video qualification now (thank goodness!) so I for one am really not interested in lugging weights, driving across state, taking time off work, etc.. for it.

Understood. Thanks for the note.

I am planning a series for 2012 for discussion among US promoters and I was going to recommend using Oct/Nov/Dec this year with WSH only running one leg

when you guys see it you will dig it

Sounds interesting.

I think WSH is two legs, just one missing because of "the gathering."

I got an email from David saying it was just one leg. He was cancelling the September leg because of our Labor day holiday.

Jedd, I am also in the process of updating my full contest results list, and putting my page in line with North American Grip rules, ie deleting all my extraneous stuff. Then I will slug through things and update records.

Cool. Keep me posted.

Regarding the Gripmas Carol - there will be one again this year. But it will be much different than in years past. Will it be something that people will be willing to attend - I don't know? I don't know exactly what it will be like at all at this point. It may be nothing more than an organized get together or it may be more than that. I simply can't continue to give the amount of time, effort, and money it takes to put it on. Between training for it (it's the only time I directly train grip) - moving the entire gym out - making new event equipment (can be expensive) - taking care of all the million things that come up - and then two long days putting stuff back and cleaning up a cloud of chalk - half empty drink bottles and food plates etc - it's just getting to be too much to do by myself. I guess i'm getting old :). I'll have more to say about it later.

Daniel's contest...Jedd's calendar says Saturday, February 11, Daniel's info says Friday February 10. Which is it?

Good catch, I missed that. Jedd, it's Friday the 10th.

Hey Chris, if it is worth anything, I would suggest just putting on something you enjoy. I feel your pain, and it is probably why I have the "weird" events so often, it seems like alot of pressure to put on the big deal that a highly attended contest can be, especially year after year.

If you don't like grippers for example, don't have them. Do something you like. Just have events that excite you in whatever way.

This isn't advice for the average promoter-I believe most events should follow a relatively similar format with some variety. However, some of us who have been doing this for a few years, sometimes it just gets exhausting even though we love it.

I don't mean to interrupt Jedd's discussion, maybe this should be moved to a separate thread. I just really feel Chris's pain.

You might have a poorly attended event, but at least you will keep something going for the local group of guys you have cultivated. I think you have built something that deserves continuity, even if it is in a diminished form some years. You'll eventually get some ambition again, and if not maybe someone else will take the reins.

I am pretty envious of Jedd's energy in promoting grip stuff. I cannot give much more than I do, and he does more than alot of us in terms of promoting and attending contests.

Daniel's contest...Jedd's calendar says Saturday, February 11, Daniel's info says Friday February 10. Which is it?

I swear I looked at an actual calendar yesterday and saw that Saturday was the 11th but who knows. Thanks for the note.

I am pretty envious of Jedd's energy in promoting grip stuff. I cannot give much more than I do, and he does more than alot of us in terms of promoting and attending contests.

Thanks Bob.

Chris, no pressure at all to run a comp. That is up to you. Who knows maybe you can think up a different format of a contest that breaks the mold this year.

I swear I looked at an actual calendar yesterday and saw that Saturday was the 11th but who knows. Thanks for the note.

Jedd, Saturday is the 11th. It's just that the contest is not held that day.

Bummer, as I could have gone if it was the 11th. Three months out of the year I can't do Friday nights out of town.