Popcan Crushing Revisited

Jonathan McMillan

Outside on our driveway today stripping some second hand furniture we have. I grabbed a can of diet pepsi and gave it a go. Short pulses of squeezing less then 5 seconds each with rubber dish gloves on. I ended up getting a pinpoint puncture in the thing and a high pressure microstream sprayed out the hole, followed by another puncture. No big explosion of pop....need some more compression force!!! :(

Jon@han

Thanks,

I think the next time I try this I'm going to make sure I'm not trying to push my finger through the can and focus more on squeezing then maybe I won't get a microburst but get a full blown rupture instead!!...er..that is once I build up enough crushing strength!

Jon@han

Didn't John Brookfield describe this feat as being impossible in his Mastery of Hand Strength book ?

Does anyone have Video for Proof of this being done ?

Using two hands to crush the modern pop can it is not impossible, just very challenging. Having had some minimal sucess with this, I'm now going to see if I can get a more exciting crush as described in Brookfield's new book. Two tiny pinholes isn't exactly an exploding can :blush

Jon@han

Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan.... :blink

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times! Let's repeat it once more:

1. Open soda can.

2. Give soda can to Sybersnott.

3. Watch Sybersnott drink from can until can is empty.

4. Watch Sybersnott give empty can back back to Jonathan.

5. Watch Jonathan crush the can.

Simple, huh? :) You have to start small, then work up to crushing unopened cans! :rolleyes

Thanks for posting that pic Sonic!!!

Sybersnott, sorry I can't think of any witty reply, I'm heading out to town today so I'll be buying a 24 of diet crap to practice with. Maybe if I keep working at this I'll look like Manfred :stuart

Jon@han