'next Level Coc' Using A Hose Clamp?

Jones1874

i came across this awhile ago. http://www.angelfire...unt/Grip_1.html

this guy uses a hose clamp around the spring of his gripper to make it more difficult. will this make the gripper weaker or tamper with it in some way?

thanks.

This will cause the spring to bend and you can count on the gripper being altered forever. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

(As an aside, thank you for putting me out of my misery. I've been looking for that photo forever so that I could refer to it in another thread!)

This guy is quite a do-it-yourselfer: not just homemade versions of/workarounds for commercially-available equipment, but also some inventive new things. Maybe not all this stuff will work exactly as hoped for, but good for him for the thought and effort he put into making this stuff and then sharing it with everyone.

The other thing to ask yourself - is spending a $1 for the clamp, which will only increase the difficulty a fraction of the step to the next gripper really worth it considering it bastardizes a $20 gripper? Seems like false economy to me. If one is really strapped for cash, one can make a secret weapon from scrap wood/metal, use less fingers, etc.

I would file the gripper instead.

You're thinking, "GOTCHA!" Yeah, I realize that also permanently alters the gripper, but not in a way that will actually ruin or weaken the gripper spring.

When you put the clamp on the spring, the legs have to bend in order for the handles to close. The gripper will loose spread and strength, probably on the first close.

i came across this awhile ago. http://www.angelfire...unt/Grip_1.html

this guy uses a hose clamp around the spring of his gripper to make it more difficult. will this make the gripper weaker or tamper with it in some way?

thanks.

This will cause the spring to bend and you can count on the gripper being altered forever. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

(As an aside, thank you for putting me out of my misery. I've been looking for that photo forever so that I could refer to it in another thread!)

haha. no problem.

ok. from what everyone said i definitely wont be doing this. i made this post earlier in the day .. but a few hours later i bought myself a Black Vulcan V2 with the dipped string, hopefully that will be with me soon so theres no need to ruin any grippers with hose clamps. it seems like everyone owns a Vulcan gripper. i had to pick one up, they look amazing.