120&115 Hex Blobs

macaz

I found some used rubberized hex dumbbells for 25 cents a pound. They had slightly bent handles from being dropped so I got a special deal. Of course the handle did not bother me because it was coming off as soon as I got them home.

I took the rubber off of one of the 115# dumbbell blobs. I was excited at first because it looked very nice on the handle side but when I got it all off I saw that they basically filled the top part with a lot of lead. I was kind of bummed because Ill have to melt the lead out since lead is not so great for the brains.

Ill take one with the rubber off and stick it in a camp fire maybe in a few months if I can arrange a hunting trip. That will get it all out and I can bondo it and paint it a pretty color, maybe pink!

I can’t lift any of them yet but I could not pass on such a deal. I just thought Id share my discovery.

gallery_19587_1292_75118.jpg

gallery_19587_1292_107502.jpg

I'd look into it before doing all that melting, a friend of mine makes car batteries and he says that you basically have to eat it or inhale it. So just wash your hands good when your done lifting I think, china sneaks lead into every thing and they know that it's not supposed to happen. For example look at he lead content of a craftsman hose. The handout just tells you to wash your hands when your done and don't drink out of it.

Parris

Yes I will keep the rubber on one of each weight. The rubber is really old but is still good.

I just had to see what was inside.

Parris, Thanks Ill be careful melting the lead out. I actually have decent experience with lead melting from casting bullets and fishing weights. That lead exposure is probably why I just had to see what was inside. :)

Interesting about the Craftsman hose. I have that brand of hoses but never read the label. Yea China sure loves lead I guess.