Working The Tendons

Sybersnott

Yesterday, I picked up a 150 pound two-inch thick bar.

O.K., most of you are going, "Big deal, Snott... I could do that in my sleep". :blink Uh, wait... I'm not done telling the complete story.

I then picked it up - waist high - and held it there for as long as I could. Wow! :yikes The strain was amazing! This was a double overhand grip BTW.

I then put it down, widened the grip a little and picked it up again. Held it for as long as I could and put it down again.

Has anyone tried this? I can still feel the results even now. Before I did this, I was doing some barbell bent rows and then some upright rows; I got bored and just decided to hold the weight up for time.

I don't own a thick barbell, so haven't had the opportunity to try that one, but it does sound like a fun change of pace, as well as a good tendon builder.

Eric,

If you have the chance, get a thick bar. I have three of them, and they really help build your grip strength. My fav is the one I got from a local steel supplier. It is a very thick seven foot long, two-inch pipe, and by itself weighs 60 pounds.

If you don't have a thick bar, and want one, I have a suggestion. Go over to New York Barbells, and check out their grip bar. This is the very first bar I got and it's great! :) It's lightweight, affordable, and very well made. Here's the link:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/usa-0055.html

Had to cut out my thick bar work since the focus increased on my gripper training, I've held 265lbs for 10 seconds in the overhand position. I've thought about doing these and pushing against pins at the top of the movement for the shorter duration holds of 10-12 seconds.

Jon@han

Sybersnott, it's definitely in my $ range ;) , but I noticed it's 1 7/8 inches only, and is knurled :dry I know, beggars can't be choosers. I think I'll keep training on my leather handled 2 7/16 inch pseudo Inch. WHEN I lift the Inch, I'll reconsider a thick barbell, but for now I've got the one track mind thing goin :blush Thanks, though.

Edited by eric milfeld

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to convert, on a temporary basis, a regulation thick olypic bar to a thick handled one? You know something I can bring to the gym with me. Is there such an animal? :blink

To convert a bar, you need to sleeve it with tubing to bring the diameter up to that desired. Remove one end and slide on the tubing and then replace the weight sleeve. You will have to add a series of pipe one inside the other to build up the thickness. Another way is to use a length of heavy duty galvanized plumbing pipe. It does not need to be 7', 5 to 6 will do.

Thanx Old Guy! I think I am just going to buy a thick bar and donate it to the gym. Those cheap SOB's at Bally's won't spend money on "real" equipment. :angry:

Yesterday, I picked up a 150 pound two-inch thick bar.

I assumed you meant with one hand. I thought you were handling more weight than that on your PDA 2.5" dumbell. What made this feat so difficult?

Robert

RSW,

The difficult part was holding it up for as long as possible. Reminded me of doing a gripper negative.

I can pick it up one-handed, but for balance I did use both hands. I will go heavier on my next session, but at that time I was bored and was thinking of doing something different. You really ought to try it!