Silverback's Latest Video

Jordan Rechsteiner

Do i still log Silver? How does your routine look Like? High volume Like KTA?

A week an a half ago I bent a red nail under 60 seconds for the first time, but I also damaged the inside of my palm in the process. Nothing serious, but I had to switch from high to low volume training.

I've been doing heavy singles.

7 parallel reps with the #3.5 and I rest 5 min between each rep. I just CCS a #3 for the warm up. I do this 3 times a week.

In a couple weeks I'll go back to my main workout

Monday

#3.5 for 5 singles. Rest 5 min between each rep. The first rep is parallel and I keep increasing the distance each rep until I get to a CCS.

#3 (filed) for 5 sets of 3 reps @ 35mm. I go for explosive speed, closing the gripper as fast as possible. 5 minutes rest between each set

#2.5 for 25 consecutive parallel reps. On the last rep, I hold it as long as I can.

Wednesday

This is just a "fun" day.

Bend some nails

Leverage some sledgehammers

Pinch some dimes

Friday

#2 for 100 parallel reps.I go for time, takes me just under 10 min

I don't own a Joe Kinney "secret weapon", so I use a Beef Builder Super Elite Extended Handle (crazy long name. lol)

I do 60 negative reps with 4 min rest between each rep.

When it comes to negatives, I follow Joe Kinney EXACTLY! He held each negative around 2 seconds, and he only started counting AFTER the handles were touching. He also said that if you feel a pump while doing negatives, your not resting long enough.

This is by far the hardest workout of the week. I takes me over 4 hr to complete!

I also treat every grip workout like its "leg day" at the gym. I always make sure I have at least 2 meals in me before I train grip. Also, during the workout I'm drinking a BCAA mix. The INSTANT my workout is done, I'm drinking 60grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs and 15 grams of Glutamine.

Hope this helps!

On Friday you do 100 reps in 10 minutes on the #2 then do 60 negatives with the Extended handle SE?

Was thinking the same Wade. haha! Damn. My hands would be like a pair of lifeless numb claws with those workouts.

Eclides, how do you mix that with normal life, 4 hr workouts? Definitely good genes at work here (not saying you are not working hard ofcourse).

Edited by Geralt

A week an a half ago I bent a red nail under 60 seconds for the first time, but I also damaged the inside of my palm in the process. Nothing serious, but I had to switch from high to low volume training.

7 parallel reps with the #3.5 and I rest 5 min between each rep. I just CCS a #3 for the warm up. I do this 3 times a week.

Monday

#3.5 for 5 singles. Rest 5 min between each rep. The first rep is parallel and I keep increasing the distance each rep until I get to a CCS.

#3 (filed) for 5 sets of 3 reps @ 35mm. I go for explosive speed, closing the gripper as fast as possible. 5 minutes rest between each set

#2.5 for 25 consecutive parallel reps. On the last rep, I hold it as long as I can.

Wednesday

Bend some nails

Pinch some dimes

Friday

I don't own a Joe Kinney "secret weapon", so I use a Beef Builder Super Elite Extended Handle (crazy long name. lol)

When it comes to negatives, I follow Joe Kinney EXACTLY! He held each negative around 2 seconds, and he only started counting AFTER the handles were touching. He also said that if you feel a pump while doing negatives, your not resting long enough.

This is by far the hardest workout of the week. I takes me over 4 hr to complete!

I also treat every grip workout like its "leg day" at the gym. I always make sure I have at least 2 meals in me before I train grip. Also, during the workout I'm drinking a BCAA mix. The INSTANT my workout is done, I'm drinking 60grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs and 15 grams of Glutamine.

Hope this helps!

On Friday you do 100 reps in 10 minutes on the #2 then do 60 negatives with the Extended handle SE?

And then with only 2 days for recovery he's back at it on Monday.

I guess a 2 second contraction is about right for a glycolytic Type 2 fiber to exhaust it's fuel then followed

by 4 minutes of rest before the next rep doesn't violate any biological/neurological rules but geez that's time consuming!

I would venture to guess this type of training would not work for the majority.

Thanks for sharing your training information and please keep us posted!

Monday

Wednesday

Bend some nails

Pinch some dimes

Friday

Hope this helps!

Yea, in that order.

But I didn't start out with that volume right away... my hands would be broken! lol

I started 4 months ago with 25 reps with the #2 and 30 reps with a Extended handle Elite. I slowly added a few reps every week. When the elite was getting easy @ 60 reps, I went up to a SE and started back @ 30 reps and worked my way back up to 60 reps.

Was thinking the same Wade. haha! Damn. My hands would be like a pair of lifeless numb claws with those workouts.

Eclides, how do you mix that with normal life, 4 hr workouts? Definitely good genes at work here (not saying you are not working hard ofcourse).

I start my Friday workout @ around 11pm and finish around 3am...

Joe Kinney's philosophy in grip training was that "poundage" is everything. As long as your doing one more rep than before, it means that your improving. My Friday workouts are based on this.

NO MATTER WHAT, on Fridays I will either add another rep or beat my previous time.

At some point I was doing up to 150 reps with the #2...... but then realized maybe I should should go back down to 100 and go for time instead of so much volume. Even with the slow progression to 150 reps..... my ligaments would get too banged up @ that rep range.

Edited by Euclides

If a person handles it, volume works period IMO. One just cannot expect to 'feel recovered' in the normal sense of strength training with high volume workouts.

If a person handles it, volume works period IMO. One just cannot expect to 'feel recovered' in the normal sense of strength training with high volume workouts.

So right, Bill. You kind of have to eradicate the psychogical demons associated with being at your best and just press on.

Monday

Wednesday

Bend some nails

Pinch some dimes

Friday

Hope this helps!

Yea, in that order.

But I didn't start out with that volume right away... my hands would be broken! lol

I started 4 months ago with 25 reps with the #2 and 30 reps with a Extended handle Elite. I slowly added a few reps every week. When the elite was getting easy @ 60 reps, I went up to a SE and started back @ 30 reps and worked my way back up to 60 reps.

I'm just surprised you are doing both workouts on the same day. I have been doing something similar but do the reps in a set amount of time on Monday (10 minutes), do around 5 max closes on Wednesday then my pinch training, and Friday do the heavy negatives. It's been working well for me. I also do not have time for 4 hour workouts - if I did I would be in that same negative range. Instead I stick in the 15-20 range and try to do them all in 45 minutes.

I start my Friday workout @ around 11pm and finish around 3am...

Wow, you must be quite the night owl. Do you work nights?

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this video. That was an insane close!!! Super controlled and slow. Reminded me of Joe Kinney.

Wish you would post more vids. You keep us in suspense man. :)